Anderson County vs. Greenville

Space3

Close game so far in Greeneville...both defenses playing hard and both offenses struggling but showing signs of getting it together. Greeneville dropped a TD pass to set up a long FG and then AC hit a FG that was set up by a double pass but AC dropped a pass that would have been a good gain of not a score. AC had a defensive lineman injured that was really playing the run strong and Greenville started getting their running game going and scored. AC then drove the ball 73 yards with nice passing from Holmes...Dropped an easy TD pass and on the next play threw a pick in the end zone that was returned to the 28, Greeneville ran a draw and picked up big yardage but that ends the half with Greeneville up 10-3. AC gets the ball to start 2nd half. Greeneville has a real good kicker that crushes the ball. AC's youth is showing with penalties and starting to get tired up front...don't think AC can continue the effort the way they are, but hope I am wrong...good half of football so far, little sloppy at times, but both teams playing hard

It has been a joy to watch Coach Spurrier torment that upstart Dabo Sweeney at Clemson. Takes me back to the old Steve and Phil dog and pony show. The Ball Coach has mellowed some in the SEC but the fun and games continue in Carolina an a daily basis...

I can't believe you would think there is a single smart azz bone in Coach Spurrier's body. B)Yep,I know,there isn't just one because he has always been a total smart azz ! A great coach in his day however.I'll never forget his Duke team coming to Knoxville .

I am very disappointed! :( But this is a first game. Adjustments needed. Not sure what happened the second half but the coaching staff will need to do some homework. Mavs can so do much better then this!

Mav4Life good updates during the game. We have one of the best coaching staff but I did not see it tonight. Young or not we need to improve because it does not get any easier.

WOW!

Freshman QB came in and looked real good, he throws the ball well and has some wheels, I think when he learns the offense a little better he should start. I also think they need to find more ways to get Thrasher the ball, that kid is a beast and was all over the field. He has some serious wheels and was continually making plays around the line of scrimmage from the safety position...he was beating the linebackers to the ball easily from 15 yards back, he could be special, I think he needs to be in the backfield in place of #16, #16 looks like he runs timid and if he doesn't start running and stop reading looking for an openinng is going to get seriously rocked and will not be very effective running the ball. On our first drive 23 dropped a skinny slant where ther was no one around him, would have been at least a 30 yard play and maybe more on a series where we went 3 and out. We then dropped a TD pass in the second qtr and threw a pick on the next play in the ends one and on the first 2 offensive plays of the first half had a fumble and a pick 6 to set up 14 pts for Greeneville. If our offense would have just been consistently serviceable we would have been in the game, still don't think we would have won due to the physicality of Greeneville and our youth, but we would have been in the game. I think we had 3 or 4 delay of games that put us in bad position, coaches need to get a handle on that, as it was mostly them getting the call in from the sideline too slow, this is the one area that we are cositantly bad at early in evey year, I am sure Davey and crew will fix it, but it is frustrating and this team is not good enough to overcome those mistakes. Defense looks stout and I like their fight, just too many mistakes as a team. One more head scratcher for me is our kickoff, 11 seems to have a good leg and we line up like we are going to pooch kick and then he takes a 4 step drop and kicks it to the 5 yard line, I don't like that at all for a few reasons, first is that if he can put it at the 5 with a 4 step drop than why are we not either pooching it to the 20-25 cross field or letting him just kick it deep, He looks like he is capable of putting it in the end zone if they just let him, but if not than why kick it deep from a 4 step drop where the ball sails low and coverage is not at full sprint at the kick, the returner was at the 30 yard line before coverage gets there and had he had any kind of a seam it would have been a TD. Either play it to kick it deep or pooch it to be safe, the in between does nothing but hamper coverage and I see no up side

Great job Greene Devils! Mavs are a hard nosed team.. Good luck to you this season.. Devils have a great season ahead of them! I think we will keep getting better every game! Go Devils

Yes, good team and as they get better they will be a force this season, I enjoyed the trip, though not the outcome I hoped for, nice facilities and everyone seemed hospitable, good luck the rest of the way

Yes, good team and as they get better they will be a force this season, I enjoyed the trip, though not the outcome I hoped for, nice facilities and everyone seemed hospitable, good luck the rest of the way

Glad you enjoyed Burley and glad everyone was hospitable....that's how it SHOULD be every where, although that's not the case at some places. Not sure if we make a trip up to your h ouse next year, but i hope we do, that's one place ive always wanted to see a HS game....good luck the rest of the way, i saw a gritty, hard fighting mavs team that should be very good by seasons end.

It was great to get out and watch some football! The Mavs just couldn't pull it together. I saw youth and mistakes from both teams but also saw many positives. The AC defense proved to be strong in the first half. Much better pass defense than years past. The offense has some weapons but isn't clicking as a single unit. This may be a rough year or they may pull it together. I do see a good squad down the road. Thanks to the Green Devils for the hospitality and best of luck during your season. It was a great environment.

Edited by Foxman43

Freshman QB came in and looked real good, he throws the ball well and has some wheels, I think when he learns the offense a little better he should start. I also think they need to find more ways to get Thrasher the ball, that kid is a beast and was all over the field. He has some serious wheels and was continually making plays around the line of scrimmage from the safety position...he was beating the linebackers to the ball easily from 15 yards back, he could be special, I think he needs to be in the backfield in place of #16, #16 looks like he runs timid and if he doesn't start running and stop reading looking for an openinng is going to get seriously rocked and will not be very effective running the ball. On our first drive 23 dropped a skinny slant where ther was no one around him, would have been at least a 30 yard play and maybe more on a series where we went 3 and out. We then dropped a TD pass in the second qtr and threw a pick on the next play in the ends one and on the first 2 offensive plays of the first half had a fumble and a pick 6 to set up 14 pts for Greeneville. If our offense would have just been consistently serviceable we would have been in the game, still don't think we would have won due to the physicality of Greeneville and our youth, but we would have been in the game. I think we had 3 or 4 delay of games that put us in bad position, coaches need to get a handle on that, as it was mostly them getting the call in from the sideline too slow, this is the one area that we are cositantly bad at early in evey year, I am sure Davey and crew will fix it, but it is frustrating and this team is not good enough to overcome those mistakes. Defense looks stout and I like their fight, just too many mistakes as a team. One more head scratcher for me is our kickoff, 11 seems to have a good leg and we line up like we are going to pooch kick and then he takes a 4 step drop and kicks it to the 5 yard line, I don't like that at all for a few reasons, first is that if he can put it at the 5 with a 4 step drop than why are we not either pooching it to the 20-25 cross field or letting him just kick it deep, He looks like he is capable of putting it in the end zone if they just let him, but if not than why kick it deep from a 4 step drop where the ball sails low and coverage is not at full sprint at the kick, the returner was at the 30 yard line before coverage gets there and had he had any kind of a seam it would have been a TD. Either play it to kick it deep or pooch it to be safe, the in between does nothing but hamper coverage and I see no up side

Mav4Life you are right on' Thrasher is underestimated. Good info in this post. The Mavs Coaching need to review this. I know we are young but if we can hold a team down in first half why can we not keep the score respectful. I am going to be positive and say Ok we needed to learn from hopefully a team that will go all the way but our schedule is grueling based on this past weekend scores....geee