1-0 Rossview @ 1-0 Beech

werazzlin

Once again, Beech's pass defense was exposed.  Although to be fair, lots of defenses are going to struggle defending the qb from Rossview.  He had as good a "pocket presence" as any HS qb you will ever see, was extremely accurate and had a few nice receivers to go along with him.  Beech got decent pressure on him from time to time, but he was always able to scramble, improvise and make a play.  None was more important than when he was able to scoop a bad snap 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage near his own 10, avoid 4 or 5 Beech defenders and find a man 25 yards down field for a first down.  I was also very impressed with Beech's qb.  He's continues to show nice arm strength, really good accuracy and his decision making improves every game.  He is growing up quickly.  Pound for pound, there is not a better football player around than Roderick Napper. He will almost definitely lead the Bucs in rushing yards as well as tackles.  With Vanzant sitting out the game for disciplinary reasons, he was forced to carry the load on O. Looked like he tweaked his ankle again but gutted his way through it and left his heart on the field. Proud of the Bucs for battling until the end.  All the sophs that are playing are gaining valuable experience.  If they can stay healthy I believe they will be a decent team by year end.

Edited by tandem

I'm not sure the kids even know what the scheme is. It would be easy to put this on the DC, but it's been 3 different DCs (and I believe al three are good coaches). Not sure what the secondary coach is teaching or who the HC is telling them to play (or why), but two 5'3" sophomores? This needs fixed. Looks like another .500 year if something doesn't change.

I'm not sure the kids even know what the scheme is. It would be easy to put this on the DC, but it's been 3 different DCs (and I believe al three are good coaches). Not sure what the secondary coach is teaching or who the HC is telling them to play (or why), but two 5'3" sophomores? This needs fixed. Looks like another .500 year if something doesn't change.

I do agree with your assessment, I really do but the same DB coach in 2012 is the same one today.

IMO we have not had a good corner since Hawkins and zinchini graduated. We need to find more or get better. That is our only choice. I do agree Beech may go 5-5, but I never had them above 7-3 for the regular season.

I do agree with your assessment, I really do but the same DB coach in 2012 is the same one today.

IMO we have not had a good corner since Hawkins and zinchini graduated. We need to find more or get better. That is our only choice. I do agree Beech may go 5-5, but I never had them above 7-3 for the regular season.

The difference in 2012 and 2015?? Any guesses? Oh yeah, Jalen Hurd. The 2012 team couldn't cover either, they just averaged a little over 41 points and out scored everyone.

The difference in 2012 and 2015?? Any guesses? Oh yeah, Jalen Hurd. The 2012 team couldn't cover either, they just averaged a little over 41 points and out scored everyone.

Hawkins was a preseason all state pick - as a DB. And Jalen did not play defense (minus a play or two for the year).

2009 wasent a bad year either (without Hurd) and the same HC. But that is all in the past. We need to fix today.

I'm not arguing with you on the pass defense issues. Our secondary is not in a good place, but I hold out faith that the staff will figure something out.

Edited by JedCooper

Hawkins was a preseason all state pick - as a DB. And Jalen did not play defense (minus a play or two for the year).

2009 wasent a bad year either (without Hurd) and the same HC. But that is all in the pass. We need to fix today.

I'm not arguing with you on the pass defense issues. Our secondary is not in a good place, but I hold our faith that the staff will figure something out.

Hurd played defense as needed. There are athletes are good enough to not give up 350 yards and 6 TD passes. That's not the issue. I hope you're right in the figuring out part. I'm not as optimistic after seeing what happened all of last year and this year thus far.

I do remember beech playing jackson northside and it being a complete shootout. Beech eventually pulled away but it only took a couple of plays for each team to score.

You may want to go back and check the tape on that game. The only team that had 2 or 3 play scoring drives was Beech. Beech's D did give up 24 in the first half with the offense turning it over twice (once inside their own 20)  The D scored the same number of points in the second half as NS's offense did. (7) Beech's O put a 50 spot on the board in the second half. Not saying Beech's D was the second coming of the Steel Curtain, but they were better than we are giving them credit for. For the record, they averaged giving up 16 points per game that year, including 4 shutouts.  Pass coverage has been an issue for a long time at Beech, and it continues to be a real problem.  

Edited by tandem