Girls and Boys playing in the Spring

Big Poppa 17

My daughter had to deal with the issue during the first year of the ECNL - which was her Junior year in high school (she played club out of state her junior and senior years). 

Looking back, the old rule (not playing any independent games) worked very well for many reasons.  AND she actually played both high school and ECNL - let me explain. 

She trained with her high school team from the first practice in July until the last practice in November.  However, the school did not "roster" her until the end of September - midway thru the season.  So she played the ECNL schedule from August to late September - about 6 weeks.  Then she played high school games from late September thru the state tournament - about 6 weeks.  This worked because both coaches (high school and ECNL) understood her dilemma - both being recruited and playing with HS friends.  As a parent, I appreciated the state rule as she did not try to play in an excessive number of games.  

At that time, the two 6 week periods seemed like an eternity.  However, after four additional years of soccer, its a minor blip on the screen!

Abolishing the independent game rule is the obvious solution. For the few elite players who have Division 1 or national team aspirations, they could choose to play both or just club. But, remember, it is the coaches who want this rule in place. If the needs of the players were actually truly and thoughtfully considered, this rule would never exist in the first place. This rule exists to trap players on their high school team. Tennessee is only a handful of states that have this rule. But we seem to enjoy having arcane rules for our high school sports. 

This is NOT, and I repeat NOT being driven by private schools.  It is a suggested solution to the conflicts in the fall with the premier league and club soccer.  At this point, it isn't even a "proposal".

For the record, I am strongly against it, for many reasons.  

HOWEVER, what we know as high school sports (especially soccer) IS going to change.  What that looks like, I don't know.  And while I might not agree with the proposals discussed, I do respect the fact that we are discussing them BEFORE change occurs instead of being reactive and trying to plug a sinking ship.

Clubs and high schools are going to need to "bury the hatchet" and get along with each other.  The landscape IS going to change, and in order to be successful, there needs to be a healthy relationship between the two sides, and not a "battle for the player" like there has been in the past.  Thankfully, things have changed a lot in the recent past, so I am hopeful that this can continue.

This decision, however, will be decided by the administrators, and then by the TSSAA board.  While the coaches can let their principals and ADs know of their thoughts, we really can't control the outcome more than informing them about what is being discussed.  

This is NOT, and I repeat NOT being driven by private schools. It is a suggested solution to the conflicts in the fall with the premier league and club soccer. At this point, it isn't even a "proposal".

HOWEVER, what we know as high school sports (especially soccer) IS going to change. What that looks like, I don't know. And while I might not agree with the proposals discussed, I do respect the fact that we are discussing them BEFORE change occurs instead of being reactive and trying to plug a sinking ship.

Clubs and high schools are going to need to "bury the hatchet" and get along with each other. The landscape IS going to change, and in order to be successful, there needs to be a healthy relationship between the two sides, and not a "battle for the player" like there has been in the past. Thankfully, things have changed a lot in the recent past, so I am hopeful that this can continue.

This decision, however, will be decided by the administrators, and then by the TSSAA board. While the coaches can let their principals and ADs know of their thoughts, we really can't control the outcome more than informing them about what is being discussed.

First, good luck tonight. I need a good scouting report too. :)

Second, the language I put in this thread about ECNL had no game limit listed? Do you know if there's a limit? My daughter has already scheduled games in Dec with GSA (don't tell Brandy lol).

Good luck tonight. They appear to have a stingy defense so we need to know how to "crack the code". :)

This is NOT, and I repeat NOT being driven by private schools.  It is a suggested solution to the conflicts in the fall with the premier league and club soccer.  At this point, it isn't even a "proposal".

HOWEVER, what we know as high school sports (especially soccer) IS going to change.  What that looks like, I don't know.  And while I might not agree with the proposals discussed, I do respect the fact that we are discussing them BEFORE change occurs instead of being reactive and trying to plug a sinking ship.

Clubs and high schools are going to need to "bury the hatchet" and get along with each other.  The landscape IS going to change, and in order to be successful, there needs to be a healthy relationship between the two sides, and not a "battle for the player" like there has been in the past.  Thankfully, things have changed a lot in the recent past, so I am hopeful that this can continue.

This decision, however, will be decided by the administrators, and then by the TSSAA board.  While the coaches can let their principals and ADs know of their thoughts, we really can't control the outcome more than informing them about what is being discussed.  

I just want to back Coach here.  I am a public school coach but started as a club coach. This whole move to spring thing was started by public school coaches and not private. The worst thing we can do is get in a club coaches vs school coaches ego argument and leave out the best interest of the players we so dearly love. I hope that my kids as they get older have the best opportunity through club soccer and youth development to become elite players and be recruited if possible.  However I really hope that they have the opportunity to play for their school and be with their classmates because high school soccer is a great experience.  This will only happen if the coaches work together.  I have had zero bad experiences with the club coaches of my boys and girls.  Those coaches know that I will rest their players when needed (even in big games) because playing ECNL and High School is the best thing for them. My current girls know that on weeks leading up to and following tournaments I will limit their time (sometime not play them at all) and have them watch at practice. These players deserve to play both so I will do everything I can to make that happen for them and keep them healthy.  TSSAA allowing them to play has the players best interest. If you are having a problem with a club coach make sure you are being reasonable. Lets face the facts as well, not all high school coaches have gone through a tenth of the coaching training that most club coaches have. As for the comment I saw about a club coach feeling all big and bad for having a D license, they won't last long in any quality club.

I will do what I can to keep the girls season in the fall and not moving them to the spring but for TSSAA allowing them to play in these tournaments, I fully support that because it is the best opportunity for the players.

I am not arguing with anyone, I hope this makes sense and I just want to back the efforts of BigG before we beat his little private school when we see them next :)

NC80, your response is very logical. As a former club president, I am very excited that the TSSAA is finally at least considering the option to allow players the opportunity to play club ball during high school season without losing eligibility. During my tenure, I couldn't even get a cognitive response when I questioned the rule, much less any discussion on a change.

Most of the better high school coaches around Chattanooga also coach club. The idea that a coach wouldn't do what is in the best interest of a player is patently absurd. Bottom line, though, it should be the players and parents' decision what to do, not an agency.

NC80, your response is very logical. As a former club president, I am very excited that the TSSAA is finally at least considering the option to allow players the opportunity to play club ball during high school season without losing eligibility. During my tenure, I couldn't even get a cognitive response when I questioned the rule, much less any discussion on a change.

Most of the better high school coaches around Chattanooga also coach club. The idea that a coach wouldn't do what is in the best interest of a player is patently absurd. Bottom line, though, it should be the players and parents' decision what to do, not an agency.

The reason I was given by a 25 year TSSAA employee was due to AAU basketball and the sheer number of games kids would play if the rule wasn't in place. They fear the kids would get too much work on their bodies that would be harmful. To say it's "absurd" to suggest a HS coach would not do what's best for a child is hyperbole at best. Surely you don't think ALL coaches ALWAYS do what's best for their players? Good coaches do for sure but are all coaches good?

The rule actually makes sense when you consider how unregulated it is and how anyone can coach an AAU team.

Btw I disagree 100% about it being solely the parents job when school sports are in the equation. The role of the school is actually that of the parent during school activities. The education system is based on parens patriae to protect kids against those parents that would not have the child's best interest at heart. AAU basketball is the perfect example of how good intentions can go bad.

IMO the ONLY reason why soccer is being considered is because of the regulations and licensing requirements in place to coach.

Edited by Playerscoach

I guess we can agree to disagree, Playerscoach, about the parent's role. I think you have hit in on the problem with our education system, thinking that the government needs to play big brother.

Do you really think the rule has stopped how out of control AAU is? Yeah, the rule has had a lasting effect. And the rule was actually put in place because of baseball.

You are just being argumentative on your other points.

Edited by ChattanoogaCannon

I guess we can agree to disagree, Playerscoach, about the parent's role. I think you have hit in on the problem with our education system, thinking that the government needs to play big brother.

Do you really think the rule has stopped how out of control AAU is? Yeah, the rule has had a lasting effect. And the rule was actually put in place because of baseball.

You are just being argumentative on your other points.

Argumentative? I laid out exactly the way the education system carries out its duties and reasons why it does so.

The rule has absolutely prevented a huge percentage of kids from playing travel sports (AAU etc....) during their respective HS seasons. You cannot deny that.

Once again I'm asking you do you believe all coaches always do the right thing for their players? If so then your "absurd" comment has foundation. If not its hyperbole.

You're entitled to your opinion and I respect that. I just happen to disagree with your specific claim that all coaches are good.

Everybody ought to just sit back and relax and enjoy the high school season!  Changes will always occur and you deal with them as they happen.  I guarantee every high school coach is currently working their tail off to make sure their players and team are ready as can be to play.  It doesn't matter if you are a public, private, big or little school.  If your kiddo is good enough and wants to try and play at the next level, make sure they are on a travel team.  That is the only way (with very, very rare exceptions) that they have a chance to be seen by college coaches.  It costs a ton of money but may be worth it.  I've had 2 play travel AND high school (1 still in high school).  They LOVED playing for both teams and had (and still have) great coaches for both teams.  For my oldest, it paid off and she is enjoying a successful career at the Div I level.  Not sure what my youngest will do yet.  Just make sure they are having fun wherever they are playing!

Argumentative? I laid out exactly the way the education system carries out its duties and reasons why it does so.

The rule has absolutely prevented a huge percentage of kids from playing travel sports (AAU etc....) during their respective HS seasons. You cannot deny that.

Once again I'm asking you do you believe all coaches always do the right thing for their players? If so then your "absurd" comment has foundation. If not its hyperbole.

You're entitled to your opinion and I respect that. I just happen to disagree with your specific claim that all coaches are good.

I don't see how this affects a "huge percentage of kids from playing travel sports".  To me, this looks like it only affects the elite few...I may be wrong, and if I am that is fine, Can you explain that part, please?