Battle of Morristown 2015: MoWest vs. MoEast

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think it is coaching, do you think coach wells can turn the program around? It looks to me we are headed in the wrong direction, Last year 6-5 didn't win a game against any teams with winning records. This year 0-5 and the Defense to this point is just plain terrible. I know we have to give Coach Wells a chance to build East program, but these 1st two years haven't looked too good. As far as Talent goes, their is not a whole lot coming from the middle schools ,for either high School. Jefferson Co. and Grainger Co. has own the middle schools the last couple of years. So with that being said, Coaching become more important then ever. No matter what, I am still pulling for my canes, you never know, this could be the one time East's wins.

Since West has been dominant for a long time now (Don Woods era began in 1997), I don't think coaching is the only problem at East. Lack of stability has hurt them worse than anything, along with a culture that became accustomed to losing after experiencing too many down years. Not saying Wells is the right coach, but we'll know more about that in a year or two.

Since West has been dominant for a long time now (Don Woods era began in 1997), I don't think coaching is the only problem at East. Lack of stability has hurt them worse than anything, along with a culture that became accustomed to losing after experiencing too many down years. Not saying Wells is the right coach, but we'll know more about that in a year or two.

I disagree with you as far as stability goes, East had Coach Hatcher here for at lease 9 years. During Coach Hatcher time at East, he played West 11 times, with 2 of those games in the playoff. He only beat West 3 times in those 11 years, but East could have won 4 or 5 times more, if someone would have made a play or a coach make a great call. You said" that Coach Hatcher disrespected West during his time at East". You maybe right, but I know East gave West fits during his 9 year run here. The Culture you are talking about is what he was trying to change. It's not ok to lose all the time, and specially to West High. I not saying Coach Hatcher was a great Coach, I am just saying he understand the need to beat West. This game has become just a little to friendly lately. This game should have a edge to it. West know it is going too beat East every year and East hope they can win each year. That mind set starts with the Coaches and the upperclassmen during offseason workouts. You have to believe you will win and put the work in the weight room to make it happen.

Another losing season in 2016 will be all I can take. Wells has next year to fix the problems at East or we need to make a change.

Edited by Morristown48

I disagree with you as far as stability goes, East had Coach Hatcher here for at lease 9 years. During Coach Hatcher time at East, he played West 11 times, with 2 of those games in the playoff. He only beat West 3 times in those 11 years, but East could have won 4 or 5 times more, if someone would have made a play or a coach make a great call. You said" that Coach Hatcher disrespected West during his time at East". You maybe right, but I know East gave West fits during his 9 year run here. The Culture you are talking about is what he was trying to change. It's not ok to lose all the time, and specially to West High. I not saying Coach Hatcher was a great Coach, I am just saying he understand the need to beat West. This game has become just a little to friendly lately. This game should have a edge to it. West know it is going too beat East every year and East hope they can win each year. That mind set starts with the Coaches and the upperclassmen during offseason workouts. You have to believe you will win and put the work in the weight room to make it happen.

Another losing season in 2016 will be all I can take. Wells has next year to fix the problems at East or we need to make a change.

Motownanddown must have been the one who said Hatcher disrespected West, because I sure didn't.

Hatcher coached East from 2006-13 (8 years) and finished 2-8 against us. He had 3 respectable years in his tenure but also finished with a losing record in 5 of those years too. And East definitely gave us a fit in the 2011 regular season game (the 19-17 TV game).

Go Trojans!!

I disagree with you as far as stability goes, East had Coach Hatcher here for at lease 9 years. During Coach Hatcher time at East, he played West 11 times, with 2 of those games in the playoff. He only beat West 3 times in those 11 years, but East could have won 4 or 5 times more, if someone would have made a play or a coach make a great call. You said" that Coach Hatcher disrespected West during his time at East". You maybe right, but I know East gave West fits during his 9 year run here. The Culture you are talking about is what he was trying to change. It's not ok to lose all the time, and specially to West High. I not saying Coach Hatcher was a great Coach, I am just saying he understand the need to beat West. This game has become just a little to friendly lately. This game should have a edge to it. West know it is going too beat East every year and East hope they can win each year. That mind set starts with the Coaches and the upperclassmen during offseason workouts. You have to believe you will win and put the work in the weight room to make it happen.

Hacther beat West twice, not 3 times, he won in 08 and in 13.  As far as 4 or 5 other times he could have won, I don't know about that, there were close games in 2010 and 2011 but other than that they never really gave West fits like you said.  And I understand he was trying to change the culture but he went about it the worst possible way.  He tried to hype his way to wins against West, like if he said they would win enough that it would happen, and that trickled down to his players so by the time the game would come around every year West just had mountains of bulletin board material.  In 2008 East had a much better team yet still only won by a touchdown, which West almost drove down and scored at the last second. And then, after beating and average West team they should have handled they celebrated like they had won the super bowl, all topped off by the student section rushing the field.  That's not the culture you want to build, beating your rival should be expected, not a momentous achievement.  I don't think I've ever seen a more determined team than I saw in 2009 when West wanted to avenge that loss, and that showed on the field.

Hacther beat West twice, not 3 times, he won in 08 and in 13.  As far as 4 or 5 other times he could have won, I don't know about that, there were close games in 2010 and 2011 but other than that they never really gave West fits like you said.  And I understand he was trying to change the culture but he went about it the worst possible way.  He tried to hype his way to wins against West, like if he said they would win enough that it would happen, and that trickled down to his players so by the time the game would come around every year West just had mountains of bulletin board material.  In 2008 East had a much better team yet still only won by a touchdown, which West almost drove down and scored at the last second. And then, after beating and average West team they should have handled they celebrated like they had won the super bowl, all topped off by the student section rushing the field.  That's not the culture you want to build, beating your rival should be expected, not a momentous achievement.  I don't think I've ever seen a more determined team than I saw in 2009 when West wanted to avenge that loss, and that showed on the field.

I agree you must show some class if you win or lose. It's looking like Friday game will be a wet one. This has to help my Canes with the weather being bad. A wet football can do some funny things. I know West has the more Talented team this year, but a few drop balls and a fumble here and their; you never know what can happen. I know both teams will have to play with the wet ball, I just hope West has more trouble with it then East. I am looking for a good game and hope no one gets hurt.

Edited by Morristown48

I agree you must show some class if you win or lose. It's looking like Friday game will be a wet one. This has to help my Canes with the weather being bad. A wet football can do some funny things. I know West has the more Talented team this year, but a few drop balls and a fumble here and their; you never know what can happen. I know both teams will have to play with the wet ball, I just hope West has more trouble with it then East. I am looking for a good game and hope no one gets hurt.

I highly doubt rain will help East's defense tackle Delaney. Central's defense couldn't stop us last week on wet natural grass, and we're playing on turf. The only thing that stopped us last week was an excessive amount of phantom holding penalties.

It's great...to be...a West High Trojan!!