Oneida Basketball

ballislife0

Talent is not the problem. I'm not saying it's just coaching, but it's not from a lack of talent. They have some size, they have ball handling and they have shooters. Defense is horrible, rebounding is horrible. They have talent, but it is not being utilized.

So I am not alone in my thought on the matter.  Yaden would be doing better if still the coach.

Talent is not the problem. I'm not saying it's just coaching, but it's not from a lack of talent. They have some size, they have ball handling and they have shooters. Defense is horrible, rebounding is horrible. They have talent, but it is not being utilized.

Unless they're are a bunch of kids playing that didn't play last year, they don't have a lot of talent. Place any coach you want there and best case they finish 4th.

Uabilitynless they're are a bunch of kids playing that didn't play last year, they don't have a lot of talent. Place any coach you want there and best case they finish 4th.

You couldn't be more wrong. Cage West has the size and athletic ability to be the best player in the district. Zack Kazee is 6'4 and one of the best three point shooters around. JD Thomas hit Seven threes in one game. They have new point guard that scored 35 in a JV game and hit 6 threes. Stephens is a 6'4 sophomore and Marlow is a pure athlete that is the starting quarterback. They were leading Anderson County (a three A school) the whole first half. They have just as much talent as anyone they have faced. Thomas and Kazee are much better than last year.

You couldn't be more wrong. Cage West has the size and athletic ability to be the best player in the district. Zack Kazee is 6'4 and one of the best three point shooters around. JD Thomas hit Seven threes in one game. They have new point guard that scored 35 in a JV game and hit 6 threes. Stephens is a 6'4 sophomore and Marlow is a pure athlete that is the starting quarterback. They were leading Anderson County (a three A school) the whole first half. They have just as much talent as anyone they have faced. Thomas and Kazee are much better than last year.

they may have couple decent players...but they were 2-26 last year...they're 0-9 this year and have lost every game by large margins...the man looks a lot more on target than you might want to admit. On the whole, talent is really low by Oneida standards... It happens at small schools sometimes, even good ones. Edited by CAH09

Sometimes you have to take a step back and look at it without the blinders on. West wouldn't have started at CF last year and probably not this year. If they have as much talent as you say then they should only have 1 or 2 losses without anybody coaching them.

I'll say one more thing then I'm done with this topic. Sometimes you have to give a coach time to develop players and players have to work on their own also. Coach Hill had 11 wins total during his first two years at coalfield. The past two years he's taken the team to the region semis which is as far as coalfield has ever gone. Now he's benefited from a run of talent to achieve that but he's also coached them up. They'll be cycles of talent at small schools and Oneida is currently in a dry spell. Give it time and they will be back to competing for district championships with or without the current coach.

All I am saying is they have enough talent. Talent is no excuse. Andv you are right they will get better but its because coaches get better as well. If it takes a coach three or four years to start winning it doesnt always been that he got better players. Coaches learn as they go especially coaches with no previous head coaching experience. The bottom line is people dont need to look at it from the outside and assume they have no talent. Its simply not true. Doesnt mean they are loaded or could "win without a coach" thats just ridiculous

I'm hearing a lot of people are upset with the current coach. He likes to put his players down and call them names. Just doesn't seem to be the best way to get the best out of his players. They need to trade places with the middle school coach and let the current coach gain some experience at the middle school level first. You know something isn't right when half the team is ready to quit and they have played ball their entire life.

Just from looking at the scores, it's obvious Oneida isn't playing much defense. Gave up 66 points or more every game.

They have played a two-three zone pretty much the entire season. No press, no blocking out, giving up two many offensive rebounds. Kids are playing with no heart and they sure had heart on the football field.