Oneida Basketball

ballislife0

It's obvious Oneida is improving. They went on a good run against Oakdale and they gave Cumberland Gap a fight. Lost to Gap by 27 two weeks ago and lost by 9 last night. And whoever is taking up for the coach needs to understand that I'm not bashing the coach, just stating that Oneida has more talent than people think. Coach Smith actually coached a great game last night. It's not all about liking someone or not liking them and it's not about X's and O's, it's about motivating the players and getting the most out of them and he did pretty good at that last night. Oh and I promise you I only have one screen name. 

It's obvious Oneida is improving. They went on a good run against Oakdale and they gave Cumberland Gap a fight. Lost to Gap by 27 two weeks ago and lost by 9 last night. And whoever is taking up for the coach needs to understand that I'm not bashing the coach, just stating that Oneida has more talent than people think. Coach Smith actually coached a great game last night. It's not all about liking someone or not liking them and it's not about X's and O's, it's about motivating the players and getting the most out of them and he did pretty good at that last night.

Glad to hear things are getting better.  This district is always better with a solid Oneida squad in the mix.  Makes that trip to Scott County much more dreadful with the fear of losing during the bus ride.

I watched Oneida at Oakdale. To me, they didn't look helpless, Oakdale was just plain more talented. They definitely are lacking talent, but it's not so extreme that they are without a chance. I played at Oakdale from 2009-2013. My senior year we won one game. I know exactly what those kids are going through right now. It is truly a terrible feeling. They all know how to play the game, but they just don't have the guns to compete with the likes of Oakdale and Wartburg. As cliche as it sounds, those kids need to know that the community has their back. It's hard to go out and play when you can feel that nobody supports you. I imagine that the community is behind them, but don't jump down their throat for losing to good teams.

Also, I don't think everybody should jump immediately on a young coach. Coach Nelson at Oakdale went from 1 win to a district championship in three seasons. Every coach has to start somewhere. He is having growing pains (just like every coach ever has had).

In my opinion, it boils down to one thing: this is Oneida's second season without a Cole West, Jake Wright, or Cody Carsons type of player in a very long time. It happens at a single A school. They have a lot of guys that know how to play the game, but don't really have a stellar all-district type of player to lead the charge.

Edited by LilGoose10
  • Upvote 1

Obviously having talent goes a long way but good coaches can do a lot with a little. Coach Hill at CF didn't win a lot his first few seasons but his guys played hard. Marty Maxfield MAXIMIZED his talent at Sunbright he did a whole, whole lot with barely anything. Tony Ingram and Marty Maxfield both beat Wartburg the year they made it to state with Fountain and Richardson. Coach Layne at Wartburg went like 6-18 his first year and 18-6 his second year and only lost one guy that year I do believe. Those records may be a little off but it was close to that and I believe they played for district title that year and may have won it, not sure though. WB coach also took a team to the district title the year after Fountain and his loaded class graduated. Its safe to say though that WB coach is best in district and will be till someone can consistently beat him in February, from what I have saw guy is a winner. As far as Rusty Yaden goes the guy never won a big game, he had a chance to beat WB 4 times the year he had Cole West, Jake Wright and that group and the guy couldn't do it and as far as his antics as WB that night I was told he was pushed to the limit but someone in his position has to know when to be quiet. I had people from Oneida tell me they were embarrassed and he should have been fired on the spot. The current coach may not be the answer but from what I saw and was told Yaden may not be the guy either. Not bashing the coach at Oneida but bottom line is that plenty of coaches in this district have won with little talent at small schools so it can be done.

• 2 weeks later...