Reflecting on this years BA team

steelerfan32

They beat a Riverdale team loaded with talent in 95. Biggers was great and single handily beat my MBA team in 96, but he was not their best player. That team had 10 out of 11 defensive players play major D1 sports(9 football, 1 baseball). That BA team had the most dominating defense this state has seen. The starting defense was loaded with college players. Here is their lineup and college they played at:

DE Air Force
DT MTSU
NG nowhere
DT Memphis
DE Tennessee
LB Nebraska
LB Georgia Military ( Tito Lee. The best player on the team, but didn't qualify)
CB Virginia Tech
CB Tennessee
SS Vanderbilt
FS Tennessee

Most of these guys played on offense too. An offense that had another receiver that went to Ole Miss and a tackle that went to Texas. That offense also averaged 44.3 points/game

Edited by EHSfan04

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the D2 era, this team is up there...mainly because they ran the D2 table with a fully functioning Ensworth High School.  The 3 best teams from the D2 era up to this point (IMO) are 2012 Ensworth, 1999 MBA, 2009 MUS.  If you are going pure accomplishment, I'd say '99 MBA and '09 MUS rank higher because they ran the table with impressive out of state wins (MBA Jax Bolles; MUS S. Panola).  Those would be the top 4 of the past 20 years of D2.

This BA group would be up there with the '95-'96 teams.  Those teams had not only talent but incredible depth where the 3rd-4th RB would have been a 1000-yd rusher for any other team.

MBA will be good solely bc they have chandler returning however as BA, they lost their entire Line and they have to replace the entire defense except for 2 players I believe. Baylor lost everyone and Mccallie will be average JP2 will be JP2, father Ryan will be down even from last season record. The only teams BA might have problems with is ensworth and MBA. Ensworth was straight sophomores and we're young so it will be interesting

Baylor did not lose everyone. They lost their linebacking core, a safety, and a quarterback. They return all wideouts, a running back and quite a bit of a line and almost entire secondary.

Ryan Parker, Gage Upshaw, Ulysses Strawter (all D1 commits) along with Wil Austin will be sorely missed.

that would be one heck of a matchup if these 2 teams played whew talent everywhere.. Corn was insanely good, but his oline that year was insanely good as well.. That game in 2012 though I felt BA had way more talent and was the better team, but their QB blew the game for them at ensworth playing his worst game he ever played in high school.. This years BA team would match up well bc of their interior front they had and their dynamic QB something they didn't have them and that's always a wild card to have

That BA was extremely talented and played with a 1st yr coach. 9 srs went on to play college football and that does not include guys like sanders and barnett.  Cody has told me more than once he wished he could have had that team one more yr. They did not run the same offense that is installed today.  Every skill starter on that team except the QB ultimately either won an individual or team relay sprint c-ship in the spring. Every single DII AA sprint ch-ship was won by BA - all football players with at least 1-2 records set that still remain and their times were not only the best in DII AA but also the entire state in most events.  More speed on that team than any i've seen at BA. OL was the weakness. Ensworth was a powerhouse that yr but so were a few other DII AA teams    

Now that I have had time to reflect on the last 7 or 8 years Ensworths run of championships was impressive and may not be equaled again in our league. This BA team had senior leadership and most of the guys on both lines have been playing together since middle school. They brought it all together this year and thankfully didn't hit the injury bug like teams in the past.

They had impressive wins but not without some adversity and had a few games that caused us to bite our nails. This division is beginning to look like a one championship every few years ( if that ) Division and unless all the chips fall the right way ---- a senior lead team that has played together a long time really has the best shot.

I for one find it more exciting this way.

MBA has impressed me the last two years but there has really been only a small difference between the top 4 or 5 teams in our division the last 3 years.

I don't know much about the teams and what each has coming back but next year could be wide open once again

That BA was extremely talented and played with a 1st yr coach. 9 srs went on to play college football and that does not include guys like sanders and barnett. Cody has told me more than once he wished he could have had that team one more yr. They did not run the same offense that is installed today. Every skill starter on that team except the QB ultimately either won an individual or team relay sprint c-ship in the spring. Every single DII AA sprint ch-ship was won by BA - all football players with at least 1-2 records set that still remain and their times were not only the best in DII AA but also the entire state in most events. More speed on that team than any i've seen at BA. OL was the weakness. Ensworth was a powerhouse that yr but so were a few other DII AA teams

you are right about that they were fast!! One way the offense was different was that was when Cody called the plays and the next year he brought in a legit OC to do it. Also, even when BA had Swafford at qb the offense was different than now bc the lack of designed qb runs and options and the ability to scramble. Now everyone has to respect the big scramble or play off the scramble now with their mobile QB

I agree that the BA teams in the past have had great athletes and good size with their off and def lines but the difference is Oatsvall. I've seen all the great QBs of the past Brothers, Speedy and others but none of them could do what this kid can do. I just don't know how you defend him. If you rush him and flush him out of the pocket he makes your second level guys looks silly. If you rush 3 and drop 8 like MBA did in the championship game he picks you apart with him arm. Just an amazing talent. By the way has he committed anywhere yet? I know he is an great basketball player as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the BA teams in the past have had great athletes and good size with their off and def lines but the difference is Oatsvall. I've seen all the great QBs of the past Brothers, Speedy and others but none of them could do what this kid can do. I just don't know how you defend him. If you rush him and flush him out of the pocket he makes your second level guys looks silly. If you rush 3 and drop 8 like MBA did in the championship game he picks you apart with him arm. Just an amazing talent. By the way has he committed anywhere yet? I know he is an great basketball player as well.

You're obsessed with him. Dad? PR firm? Lol

You're obsessed with him. Dad? PR firm? Lol

the same way your obsessed with your son Tyler Thompson.. couldn't compete with the big dogs at BA so you put him at station camp and what has he done: nothing... unless, you consider going 3-7 something good or sucking when he played vs ravenwood in 2014 playoffs.  someome should have stayed at DCA. Your a hater.. stop hating on someone just bc he is better than your son

the same way your obsessed with your son Tyler Thompson.. couldn't compete with the big dogs at BA so you put him at station camp and what has he done: nothing... unless, you consider going 3-7 something good or sucking when he played vs ravenwood in 2014 playoffs. someome should have stayed at DCA. Your a hater.. stop hating on someone just bc he is better than your son

Haha! This is a BA thread so stay on point. No negatives mentioned. Just an observation kiddo. :)

So playerscoach your son is Tyler Thompson? Makes sense now. Funny.

Of course not. Yours obviously is JO. I think its funny how you act like you know nothing about him in basketball. Its too forced or it might work.

After reading your many posts its pretty obvious you're close to the kid. He had a great year though so good for him.