Jackson Central Merry

ReitzFan

I am from Jackson born and raised graduated from NSHS. JCM has a ton of history. With that being said I understand that the board had to make a business decision. Is it going to hurt some? Yes. Is it going to benefit more in the long run? Yes. 

JCM's days were numbered when Liberty was built. In my opinion all of the money that was put into liberty 10 years ago should have been put into the 3 current high schools that Madison county had and or the destruction / rebuild of JCM. JCM is centrally located in the heart of the city and would have served as a better option in the long run for all of Madison county. JCM logistically is closer to the population of the city and is kinda tied in with Lane college. With that being said we can't have neighborhood schools because we as people cant get over the issue of race. Face the facts It is what it is. All of this is due to race issues and making everything "fair". I will reserve my opinion on that fact. With the above being said JMCSS should have never gotten away from neighborhood schools. Their hand was kinda forced in the issue due to race problems and testing. Jackson is very multicultural and that's one of the greatest things Jackson has going for itself. We have problems with crime and poverty like every other place in the world but we kinda put the cart before the horse when liberty was built.

I don't feel sorry for most people. I believe you make your bed you can sleep in it. But the players and students at JCM were set up to lose from word go. A previous poster mentioned now matter how hard a player worked or practiced he knew they were going to loose. Is that fair? I don't know. You can blame it on who ever you want to blame it on I don't want to point fingers. I can tell you that I cover SGC Football and the week that we played JCM the administration / staff couldn't furnish me with even a roster with the kids names and numbers. I started calling on Tuesday of game week and called every day leaving messages and even talking to a coach just wanting a roster and still never got one.....

I am really saddened to see JCM go away but I hope the community of Jackson and Madison county will embrace the changes and the former students of JCM have a shot of hope. Hopefully in the future Jackson and other cities may use this as an example of what not to do. I understand how we got here but what I don't understand is how using race and making everything racially balanced has now closed down a very historic school and we have a school that's miles away from the base of the population which makes a busing nightmare. Most of the kids that should be zoned to go to JCM would be within walking distance or just a few miles away from JCM. Now all the kids that go to Liberty will have to bused and its not a neighborhood school. Its neighbors are a factory to the left and a wooded/corn field to the right..... just doesn't make since to me.

Liberty is a great school with a bunch of good teachers and coaches and they will make their mark on the history books.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am from Jackson born and raised graduated from NSHS. JCM has a ton of history. With that being said I understand that the board had to make a business decision. Is it going to hurt some? Yes. Is it going to benefit more in the long run? Yes. 

JCM's days were numbered when Liberty was built. In my opinion all of the money that was put into liberty 10 years ago should have been put into the 3 current high schools that Madison county had and or the destruction / rebuild of JCM. JCM is centrally located in the heart of the city and would have served as a better option in the long run for all of Madison county. JCM logistically is closer to the population of the city and is kinda tied in with Lane college. With that being said we can't have neighborhood schools because we as people cant get over the issue of race. Face the facts It is what it is. All of this is due to race issues and making everything "fair". I will reserve my opinion on that fact. With the above being said JMCSS should have never gotten away from neighborhood schools. Their hand was kinda forced in the issue due to race problems and testing. Jackson is very multicultural and that's one of the greatest things Jackson has going for itself. We have problems with crime and poverty like every other place in the world but we kinda put the cart before the horse when liberty was built.

I don't feel sorry for most people. I believe you make your bed you can sleep in it. But the players and students at JCM were set up to lose from word go. A previous poster mentioned now matter how hard a player worked or practiced he knew they were going to loose. Is that fair? I don't know. You can blame it on who ever you want to blame it on I don't want to point fingers. I can tell you that I cover SGC Football and the week that we played JCM the administration / staff couldn't furnish me with even a roster with the kids names and numbers. I started calling on Tuesday of game week and called every day leaving messages and even talking to a coach just wanting a roster and still never got one.....

I am really saddened to see JCM go away but I hope the community of Jackson and Madison county will embrace the changes and the former students of JCM have a shot of hope. Hopefully in the future Jackson and other cities may use this as an example of what not to do. I understand how we got here but what I don't understand is how using race and making everything racially balanced has now closed down a very historic school and we have a school that's miles away from the base of the population which makes a busing nightmare. Most of the kids that should be zoned to go to JCM would be within walking distance or just a few miles away from JCM. Now all the kids that go to Liberty will have to bused and its not a neighborhood school. Its neighbors are a factory to the left and a wooded/corn field to the right..... just doesn't make since to me.

Liberty is a great school with a bunch of good teachers and coaches and they will make their mark on the history books.

I agree and see ur points...but if ur being honest, ur child isn't walking down lane avenue for class at 7am and home again at 2pm...statistics waiting to happen...

there is more crime in that 3 block radius than Milan and medina combined...there were no parents standing on the sidewalks making sure those kids made it to school and back home safely

Historical or not...my child isn't going to be shot for going to school

Most of the complaints were from parents whining about how much more difficult this was going to make their lives...what were they doing at 7am anyway???

Not 100% sure BPM, but unless Madison County went back to the "closed zone" system, JCM athletes could choose their school, provided that they have transportation. They would have no "history of participation" at the former school if it is closed down.

They can choose their school if they provide their own transportation. But if it is not the school they are zoned for they may have to sit out a year. I personally don't think they should but will be interesting to see how TSSAA handles it.

I agree and see ur points...but if ur being honest, ur child isn't walking down lane avenue for class at 7am and home again at 2pm...statistics waiting to happen...

there is more crime in that 3 block radius than Milan and medina combined...there were no parents standing on the sidewalks making sure those kids made it to school and back home safely

Historical or not...my child isn't going to be shot for going to school

Most of the complaints were from parents whining about how much more difficult this was going to make their lives...what were they doing at 7am anyway???

I agree with you on the crime. But what is the difference between walking 3 blocks to go to school and waiting for the bus on the same 3 blocks?? Both ways you you are out there in a dangerous situation for a short period of time.

• 1 month later...

you can blame all the mess on a Federal judge from Memphis, who had never set foot in Jackson, ordered the Jackson City and Madison County schools in 1992 to consolidate for "racial balance";;;send the white north Jackson kids into JCM and send the African-American JCM kids to North Side..."kids on wheels"....see how it's worked out?

Edited by cofo