Collierville @ Arlington

kwc

Big, big Region 4, 6A game. Seeding is on the line. Collierville's record is 1-4. Two of those losses are due to forfeit. The other two are region losses to White Station and Cordova. Arlington is currently 3-2, with both of their losses also being to region opponents. Arlington has lost to Whitehaven and White Station. Common opponent being White Station. Arlington lost a competitive game this past Friday night to White Station by a score of 45-35. The White Station vs Collierville game was competitive as well with WS winning by a score of 23-16.

How do we think this game will go?

Edited by kwc

The Dragons will have to control the line of scrimmage defensively to win the game.   They will move the ball on offense but have had too many different combinations up front to win consistently.   Pressure on the Arlington QB will be paramount.

Based upon your play against White Station and Cordova, do you think your D-line can do that? I agree. I think that Arlington will move the ball. I also agree that you have to pressure their QB, or you are going to be looking at a long night. You have to make them one dimensional. Even then, they are potent.

What about Collierville's offense though. Will your offense sustain drives against their defense? 

Edited by kwc

Arlington will be out for revenge.   We caught them last year right after they had lost several defensive linemen.  We moved the ball last year.  This year we are weaker in the offensive line but have returning skill players that allow for a little more consistency on our part.    This will be a great high school game to watch I believe.   Arlington is known for chop blocking and it is amazing they do not get called for it very often.   

Arlington will be out for revenge.   We caught them last year right after they had lost several defensive linemen.  We moved the ball last year.  This year we are weaker in the offensive line but have returning skill players that allow for a little more consistency on our part.    This will be a great high school game to watch I believe.   Arlington is known for chop blocking and it is amazing they do not get called for it very often.   

They aren't the only ones who do it. I've seen others do it this year as well.

Arlington coach Sykes proud of team's defense

Sept. 24, 2016

M0016623757--815117.JPG

Arlington wide receiver Noah Johnson pulls in a reception despite the defense of Collierville cornerback Virgil Pryor on Friday night in Arlington. Johnson caught an 80-yard touchdown pass from Tate Kolwyck on the first play from scrimmage.

M0016623763--896014.JPG

September 23, 2016- Arlington's Kenneth Walker, center, picks up some yardage as Collierville's Zack Mitchell and Alex Smith close in from behind during their game at Arlington. (Nikki Boertman/The Commercial Appeal)

M0016623759--212454.JPG

Photos by Nikki Boertman / The Commercial Appea Collierville running back Peyton McCay is introduced to the interior of the Arlington defense on Friday night. The Tigers defeated the Dragons, 35-28 to improve to 4-2 and earned their first victory in Region 4-6A.

By John Varlas of The Commercial Appeal

Despite giving up 28 points, Arlington coach Adam Sykes had big props for his team's defensive performance against Region 4-6A rival Collierville on Friday night.

"They're a very good team," Sykes said after watching the Tigers' 35-28 victory that improved their overall record to 4-2 while giving them an important first region victory after losses to Whitehaven and White Station.

"They're big up front and they're run-first. But I think our defense played its best overall game. They beat us last year (44-30) and I don't want to say you build things based on revenge, but it did weigh on their minds I think.

"Our linebackers, Brandon Jackson and Logan Feathers, played well and we had some other guys that didn't necessarily stand out on the stat sheet that sacrificed to do their jobs."

Tate Kolwyck threw an 80-yard touchdown pass to Noah Johnson on the first play from scrimmage and also connected with Caleb Nelson for a long score. That eventually opened up the running game and allowed Tee Foster and Kenneth Walker to shine. 

"I think Tee Foster had his best game of the year," Sykes said. "He got some tough yards. We were able to do some things vertically with some deep passes and get ahead for once rather than having to play from behind."

Edited by kwc