Walker Valley @ Rhea County

ADS1

I believe there were a couple of reasons

1. They had a lot of momentum

2. They were almost out of gas on D

I agree with one of the two. The d played better in the fourth than the rest of the game. Of course he finally put more people on the line. Better game than I expected. Not that I don't think WV doesn't have talent. They do. At some point you look at the process. Still a great school. Good people.

WALKER VALLEY HAD US ON THE ROPES AND TRIED TO GO FOR TWO LAST SEASON. THEY SHOULD HAVE GOT THE EXTRA POINT AND KICKED IT DOWN FIELD WITH UNDER 2 MINUTES TO GO. I KNEW THEY WOULD SCORE MORE THAN 14. THAT SECONDARY GOT SCORTCHED AGAIN. YOU SHOULD WIN AGAINST MCMINN THEY CAN'T THROW EITHER AND THEY RUN THE TRADITIONAL CHICKENWINGT WITH SMALLER BACKS.

Good job Eagles, glad to see that fire back! Rhea came out ready to play and with a solid game plan. They were able to clean up the ball security issues somewhat with only one bad snap and one fumble....not great but it's definitley progress. The secondary continues to struggle but while there were way to many "busts" in coverage there some bright spots and solid plays, the pick six from Sturgeon ended up being big in the final outcome, still gotta to work to fix these coverage issues before the playoffs. The penalties were the glaring issue last night and need to be corrected. The offensive line played great and all four backs ran hard. Great team effort last night.

Now.....

Walker Valley is a legit threat to make some noise in the playoffs regardless of who or where they end up playing. I'm sure some will disagree but I believe the Mustangs had the most complete offense the eagles have faced this season. They are a talented and impressive bunch and played a heck of a game last night. Glenn Ryan has always been a gambler but I think he made the right call to go for two, I believe overtime would have favored Rhea with their ground game and although he missed a field goal and an extra point that was unusual for Logan Johnson.

The Mustangs had just taken back momentum and I think Ryan liked his chances better trying to win it with one play and striking while the iron was hot. If the Mustangs make the two and go up by one, Rhea gets the ball back with around 1:40 left to play and have virtually no passing game. Not a good situation for the Eagles.

If he elects to kick and take the one, Rhea most likely runs out the clock and goes to OT.

In OT the Eagles get the ball on the 10 and have four downs to score. The spot on the field does not affect the Eagle offense at all and I like their chances to score a TD with 4 downs against the WV defense. On the flip side - the Mustangs get the ball on the 10, also with four downs to score however the spot on the field does affect the WV offense because it takes away the deep ball. The 2 plays that caused Rhea the most problems were the deep ball and the underneath slant and that was usually available because of the threat of the deep ball. With WV on the 10 and no danger of getting beat deep that gives the Eagle defense more coverage options. But hey, who knows, that's all hypothetical. My point is I can understand why Ryan went for 2 and I probably would have made the same decision. I wouldn't be surprised if they get another shot at the Eagles in the playoffs.

Edited by RCfan

Good job Eagles, glad to see that fire back! Rhea came out ready to play and with a solid game plan. They were able to clean up the ball security issues somewhat with only one bad snap and one fumble....not great but it's definitley progress. The secondary continues to struggle but while there were way to many "busts" in coverage there some bright spots and solid plays, the pick six from Sturgeon ended up being big in the final outcome, still gotta to work to fix these coverage issues before the playoffs. The penalties were the glaring issue last night and need to be corrected. The offensive line played great and all four backs ran hard. Great team effort last night.

Now.....

Walker Valley is a legit threat to make some noise in the playoffs regardless of who or where they end up playing. I'm sure some will disagree but I believe the Mustangs had the most complete offense the eagles have faced this season. They are a talented and impressive bunch and played a heck of a game last night. Glenn Ryan has always been a gambler but I think he made the right call to go for two, I believe overtime would have favored Rhea with their ground game and although he missed a field goal and an extra point that was unusual for Logan Johnson.

The Mustangs had just taken back momentum and I think Ryan liked his chances better trying to win it with one play and striking while the iron was hot. If the Mustangs make the two and go up by one, Rhea gets the ball back with around 1:40 left to play and have virtually no passing game. Not a good situation for the Eagles.

If he elects to kick and take the one, Rhea most likely runs out the clock and goes to OT.

In OT the Eagles get the ball on the 10 and have four downs to score. The spot on the field does not affect the Eagle offense at all and I like their chances to score a TD with 4 downs against the WV defense. On the flip side - the Mustangs get the ball on the 10, also with four downs to score however the spot on the field does affect the WV offense because it takes away the deep ball. The 2 plays that caused Rhea the most problems were the deep ball and the underneath slant and that was usually available because of the threat of the deep ball. With WV on the 10 and no danger of getting beat deep that gives the Eagle defense more coverage options. But hey, who knows, that's all hypothetical. My point is I can understand why Ryan went for 2 and I probably would have made the same decision. I wouldn't be surprised if they get another shot at the Eagles in the playoffs.

Agreed we started getting back on track last night, besides the one bad exchange and fumble the offense did a pretty good job of executing the gameplan.

The defense did have some busted coverages but also some bright spots. The Sturgeon pick 6 was huge and hopefully we will see more of that moving forward. Yeah the secondary continued to have issues but we did get some pressure which helped. Considering what WV has done on offense this year last night was a solid defensive effort, not great but better than the last couple of weeks.

Now I've got to give credit to Walker Valley that was the best group of receivers we have seen all year. I'm looking forward to seeing Nunnley in a UTC uniform next fall. WV offense can score on anyone and score quickly too. It's scary to think that WV could be the 4th place team come playoff time. I would not want to be Oak Ridge, Campbell, or Farragut and have to play WV in the first round.

Agreed we started getting back on track last night, besides the one bad exchange and fumble the offense did a pretty good job of executing the gameplan.

The defense did have some busted coverages but also some bright spots. The Sturgeon pick 6 was huge and hopefully we will see more of that moving forward. Yeah the secondary continued to have issues but we did get some pressure which helped. Considering what WV has done on offense this year last night was a solid defensive effort, not great but better than the last couple of weeks.

Now I've got to give credit to Walker Valley that was the best group of receivers we have seen all year. I'm looking forward to seeing Nunnley in a UTC uniform next fall. WV offense can score on anyone and score quickly too. It's scary to think that WV could be the 4th place team come playoff time. I would not want to be Oak Ridge, Campbell, or Farragut and have to play WV in the first round.

Yes, incredible group of receivers and a QB that can hurt you with his arm and his legs. Their running game is just good enough to keep the defense off balance a bit.

At the first of the year I wasn't sure how this region would do in the postseason but it's looking like we may be putting 4 pretty solid teams in the playoffs.

Now.....

Good post. I agree the slant behind the linebackers was open probably should of thrower it a time or two more but Rhea had a pretty good rush at times. Gibson is pretty good at avoiding the rush and their I line is much improved from the first game.

9 total penalties and let both teams play. Yes, there was a missed call in end zone but isnt there missed calls every game? overall i thought officials did a great job. JMO from a neutral fan who enjoyed a great game in Rhea Co fri night

For the most part yes, I would agree. While 90% of those calls went against Rhea, I don't think they were all horrible calls, it's just something the Eagles got to get cleaned up. (However the late hit out of bounds called on Stephenson was a horrible call)

I think it was more the no call in the end zone that resulted in a TD that has Eagle fans upset. The problem is 9 times out of 10, your just not going to get an "Offensive" Pass Interference call in high school anywhere.

Edited by RCfan