Greatest Playoff Games Ever ???

Guest truth16

This goes way's back, The 1979 game between Father Ryan and Warren County game. I cannot remember the score, but I remember how it ended. Jeff Womack scored on a 45 yard run with a few minutes remaning in the game. Father Ryan started at their on 5 yard line. The Irish scored on a 95 yard run when the quarterback threw a screen pass , and the quarterback took the pitch from the wide receiver and scored. It was amazing the game ended at Warren County. I believe this was in 1979 or in 1980. If somebody has the name of the quarterback at Father Ryan I would appreciate. I believe it was Jim Miller the former fullback at UT.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Four-seed Kenwood dropped unbeaten and top-ranked Tullahoma 17-14 in overtime. Tullahoma let Kenwood score on a 70-yard screen pass on the last play of the half and trailed 14-0 before getting hot in their two-minute offense to force overtime. Tullahoma gained nine yards on their first OT snap and fumbled on the next play. Kenwood's All-State girl kicker Jenny Cox drilled the game-winner on the next play to cap the huge upset. I'll never forget current MTSU free safety Will Martin - the holder - sprinting down the middle of the field and doing a cartwheel at the 50 to celebrate.

I'd say the '93 Sweetwater/Milan game. Both teams had great offenses, but it turned out to be an excellent game for a lover of defense.

Also, the playoff game between Swater and Harriman-the one where Germaine Copeland carried Harriman to the win (yr?). Maybe the best effort I've seen out of a single player. He later did the same thing in the basketball championship, but that's a different board.

[Edited by thevoiceoreason on 11-18-02 2:07P]

This is regaurded as the greatest playoff game. There is no arguement. Most of the younger people might not remember this one but I'm sure a few of the older high school fans might recall this one. Both teams fought hard and at the end of regulation the score was tied at 28. Both teams score at the end of the first OT and its knoted at 35. Both teams once again score in the second with Bradley Central scoring on fouth and eight. In the THIRD OT Bradley Central scores and makes a 2 point conversion. JCM follows by scoring on a magical pass on fourth down to pull within 2. On the two point conversion JCM in stopped on about the half yard line and Bradley Central wins in the Greatest Playoff Game in TN high school history.

Guest FSUNole17

This is by far the best high school game i have ever seen... back in 1995 (or 1996?) NE featured not only Travis Stephens, but also a VERY stout all around team that, honestly, was better than BA that night. The score ended up being 7-3..... but what most people do not know is that BA scored that touchdown going into halftime with no time on the clock.... at the end of the first half a hail-mary pass with no chance at scoring was thrown and the NE defender interferred moving the ball to midfield, with one final play before half by rule. the next play was a 50 yd bomb to bo clift and there was the ball game.... had it not been for that, NE would have gone on to win the game and the state title.... i knew after watchign that game that Travis Stephens was goign to be incredible

1996--2ND ROUND OF THE PLAYOFFS---TWO 2ND HALF TURNOVERS ALLOWED HUMBOLDT TO RALLY TO A 28-24 LEAD OVER WHITE HOUSE. WHITE HOUSE DROVE INSIDE THE 20-YARD LINE WITH UNDER 3 MINS TO PLAY AND THREW AN INTERCEPTION. WHITE HOUSE THEN FACED A 4TH AND 19 AT ITS OWN 19 WITH LESS THAN A MINUTE TO GO. A 74-YARD SCREEN PRODUCED A FIRST AND GOAL AND THE DEVILS WIN THE GAME 31-28

The quarter final game in 99 between hendersonville and Oakland was an amazing game. Hendersonville had beaten oakland earlier in the year. In the first round of the playoffs Riverdale had taken a dive, so the 5A championship was wide open. The game was close the hole time leading up to the last few seconds, Oaklands QB had been flagged twice for personal's so he was ejected from the game. It seemed Oakland had the game tied up with the lead and only a few seconds left on the clock but the back up QB for oakland fumbled the snap and an HHS recover lead to a TD as time ran out. In the overtime Oakland pulled out the win. But without there QB the next week (still head out due to the ejection in the HHS game) Okland lost. If HHS had won or Oakland had there QB eithe of these teams probably would of ended up winning the clinic bowl.

Guest VOLCOWBOY

When I read this thread, one game just burned a hole in my mind. It wasn't an offensive shootout, or a lopsided blowout. It wasn't a Clinic Bowl game either. It was the 1993 Semi Final game between Stratford and Lincoln County in "The Pit". It was just 3 weeks after the Falcons had beaten Stratford in the Pit 12-6. It was the perfect setting for such a showdown, very cold and pouring down rain. I mean, it was raining cats and dogs. The Pit was nothing more than a mud-pit. Both teams played an outstanding game on defense. It was truly the best show of defensive strength I have ever seen at the high school level. The game was scoreless until the final quarter of play. I remember standing under the North end of the field under the scoreboard, drenched from the rain despite having a poncho on, and watching the Falcons march down the field in the final 2 minutes. The drive was capped off by Lincoln County fullback, Shannon Haston, running in a short yardage TD with about 30 seconds left. Lincoln County went on to win the game 6-0. The following week the Falcons went to Vanderbilt Stadium and dominated Riverdale, 20-7 to win the State Championship.

• 1 year later...
From a 1A perspective the two most exciting games I have watched are both from last year

CPA at Collinwood where Collinwood marched 90 yards in the final minute to win.

USJ at Ezell where USJ had a lead and gaining momentum when they missed an easy field goal and JP Shelley took over and won it for Ezell.

Onlinelc, that was two years ago. We won the state last year.

From a 1A perspective the two most exciting games I have watched are both from last year

CPA at Collinwood where Collinwood marched 90 yards in the final minute to win.

USJ at Ezell where USJ had a lead and gaining momentum when they missed an easy field goal and JP Shelley took over and won it for Ezell.

Onlinelc, that was two years ago. We won the state last year.

OK, I'm getting old and senile, it was indeed 2 years ago.

I can add one more now, the 3rd Round Meeting 2 weeks ago between Ezell and DCA that went into OT.