Brentwood vs Central at Crump - Round 2

kwc

It's refreshing to actually talk a little football on this board.

I went back and looked at Central a little more. This should be a great game. I just think Brentwood's played a tougher schedule. Sure, 4 losses, but look who they came against...

I understand the Rossview game, but for reference, HC thumped Rossview 31-6 and then turned around and got beat pretty handily by Brentwood. Using the transitive property in HS football can be dangerous.

I agree about the schedules. Brentwood's is tougher. However, when Brentwood faced stiff competition. They lost. Every time. So, yeah, they played a tough schedule. They even played ONE of those tough teams really close ... but this isn't horse shoes nor are we tossing hand grenades. Toss in the loss to Rossview in the regular season. Do we really know how good Brentwood is? Sure we do. The late Dennis Green said it best. They are who we think they are! They are a good team. Nothing more. Nothing less. How have they done against stiff competition? Just look at their record.

That being stated. Home field has its advantages.

Edited by kwc

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the coaching quality at Central? Crawford is a really good playoff coach...and playoffs are a lot different than regular season.

Excellent question. What can be said about coach Crutchfield? I can't remember how long he's been at Central. Probably 6-8 years by now, or somewhere around that time frame. He's a solid, old school type. He's not a young guy, nor is he decrepit. He believes in running the ball and stopping the run. The moment won't be to big for him. His team will be ready. This isn't his first rodeo either. Expect a well prepared Central team on Friday night.

On a different note about coach Crutchfield. He is one of the best at getting his players into college. Every year he has football players to get schollys. He's sent players to LSU, and Mississippi State, as well as, Tennessee State and Alabama A&M. He knows the system and he's established his name with the college coaches. He is one of the best in the state in that regard. ONE OF THE BEST. He gives coach Saulsberry a run for his money when it comes to getting his players in college. I consider Whitehaven's coach Saulsberry the best in Memphis in that regard ... heck ... he's the best in the state. Coach Crutchfield is right on his coat tail. Some years he outshines coach Saulsberry when it comes to having players recruited into college.

Edited by kwc

BlackHavenSenator we got eyes on Central's defensive numbers this season which is impressive. My question to you is how would their defense hold up against Indy's high powered offense if they both win out and meet up in the semi's? I'm curious about your opinion.

Honestly I hadn't seen them any in real life to say. All I can go off of are the few highlights that I find on the internet... I hope that we can see that match up to see how it plays out myself. Good luck   :thumb:

What is the coaching quality at Central? Crawford is a really good playoff coach...and playoffs are a lot different than regular season.

DAD1:

Allow me to elaborate a little more on coach Crutchfield's tenure at Central and their playoff experience. I don't remember exactly when coach Crutchfield first got over the Central. I think it was around 2010 or 2011, or something like that. When he first got there Central wasn't a very good program. It took him a little while to turn the culture around. However, in 2013, they lost in the 3rd round to White Station in the 6A playoffs by a score of 31-27. White Station lost that year in the semi-finals to Hendersonville. In 2014 Central lost in the first round of the 6A playoffs to Rossview by a score of 24-7. In 2015, they lost to Brentwood in the 1st round of the playoffs by a score of 52-7.

That's their recent playoff history. It seems that they have a chance to redeem themselves from last years blow out at the hands of Brentwood. They've already redeemed themselves of their 2014 1st round loss to Rossview.

Edited by kwc

Score Prediction Time:

I predict Memphis Central will win by 10...

MC --- 20

BW --- 10

You think that Central 'D' holds BW to 10 points? I don't know about that. Rossview put 24 on Central in a losing effort. But then again ... Rossview beat BW in the regular season 17-13 and Central just beat them (RV) by 23 points. Also Franklin blasted BW in the regular season by a score of 41-7. So, you may be on to something. But ... I just don't see that.

Edited by kwc

You think that Central 'D' holds BW to 10 points? I don't know about that. Rossview put 24 on Central in a losing effort. But then again ... Rossview beat BW in the regular season 17-13 and Central just beat them (RV) by 23 points. Also Franklin blasted BW in the regular season by a score of 41-7. So, you may be on to something. But ... I just don't see that.

Yes sir. I predicting that the Warriors' D will win them this game