Father Ryan 45 McCallie 27

Bump11

I'll wade in here as a coach, and as father of one of the McCallie wrestlers you're referring to in the above statement.

First, wrestlers shaking hands with opposing coaches after individual matches is not required by rule, but it is customary. It's not a rule because of the physical/emotional effort required in the sport. Over time, the rule committees realized, after enough unfortunate instances, walking over to the opposing bench immediately after an individual match is not optimal. Teams shake hands after the dual has concluded.

My son, win or lose, doesn't shake hands after his match during duals. The dual setting creates a far more intense and emotional setting than individual tournaments. And, by not shaking hands after the individual matches of a dual meet, you remove the chance of any unsportsmanlike penalty happening for either team.  He shakes hands after the dual match with everyone of the opposing coaches and wrestlers (many of whom he competes with in the "off-season" competitions). I've spoken with him about it a few times. I explained that people will miss judge who you really are because of it, but since his reasoning is sound, and not of unsportsmanlike intent, I have not interfered with his decision. There have been school administrators bring it up with him and me. The explanation is given, and they have not interfered with his decision. Same for our head coach. In individual tournaments, he shakes hands with opposing coaches after each match, win or lose.

To date, no opposing coach or wrestler has complained that I'm aware. They seem to understand.

Congrats again to Father Ryan on their DII State Dual title and solid win Saturday night.

-TH

Your son shakes hands after each match during an individual tournament, but not in a duel? That makes zero sense. 

Thanks for the perspective pantheon.  While I do not personally agree with it, I respect it and support your son's right to do it his way, especially if it is not a rule. Some of the vitriol I see on this board over the years has soured my desire to post somewhat. So to have these types of discussions without personal attacks is very fruitful for me, in light of my own history of over thirty years a HS basketball official.

I recall my last series of posts having to do with McCallie and the officials' lack of understanding a couple years ago after one of your wrestlers won his match to clinch a team win over rival Baylor, jumping into his coaches arms in a spontaneous fit of glee, only to be hit with an unsportsmanlike team penalty which ultimately cost McCallie the match.  I thought that was an outrage. So to understand your son's perspective, and for you to do so in the congratulatory spirit you framed it in, is laudable.

Best of luck to your son in the state individuals. But if he wrestles a Ryan boy, not so much. :) :)

These kids work so incredibly hard, and I tip my hat to each and every one of them for their dedication to wrestling at this level. I would have sent this in a PM, but could not figure out how to do it! LOL.  

Scott

• Upvote 1

Could be. Maybe that's why Penn State beat Iowa, since Iowa wrestlers don't shake hands w/ opposing coaches after their individual dual matches either. 

Happy to discuss further with anyone, just PM me or start a separate thread. Don't want to high-jack a thread any further that's dedicated to congratulating Father Ryan's state dual title.

-TH

There is NO question that is why Penn State won! Any student of wrestling knows that. Sanderson would no doubt agree.

Seriously - thanks for your input and reasoned response TH. And don't worry about "hijacking" this thread. D2Wrestling did that long ago . . .

D2Wrestling - sorry snowflake, but I'd be a bit more concerned about "sportsmanship" on the mat - versus a customary handshake (not required) immediately after the match. Give me a break! And I'm NOT calling any team out - I saw plenty of bad sportsmanship on the mat across all divisions this past weekend. That is what needs to be cleaned up - and called consistently by the refs. 

Not sure why I'm the snowflake when the discussion is about athletes who can apparently compete at a high level in an intense atmosphere but cannot then muster the discipline to cross the mat and shake hands with the opposing coach without risking a penalty point!

Again, congrats to the Irish for overcoming both the Blue Wave AND the internal battle each wrestler must have overcome to have been able to cross the mat and shake hands postmatch!

Not sure why I'm the snowflake when the discussion is about athletes who can apparently compete at a high level in an intense atmosphere but cannot then muster the discipline to cross the mat and shake hands with the opposing coach without risking a penalty point!

Again, congrats to the Irish for overcoming both the Blue Wave AND the internal battle each wrestler must have overcome to have been able to cross the mat and shake hands postmatch!

I agree that wrestlers should shake hands after a match it is NOT a rule but simply a sportsmanlike gesture. That being said what is worse a wrestler not shaking hands with a coach or a Father Ryan coach mocking an extremely accomplished wrestler because he didn't get the exact match up he wanted a few weeks ago at Baylor? Grow up and stop attacking these kids and their coaches. Both teams laid it out there one team won and the other team didn't.