Coach's Poll Analysis Based on First Poll of the Season

ArtusCimber

I want to thank everyone who got us views and replies in this my initial year at the helm of the Coach's Poll.

I also want to thank my voters who brought over 300 years of experience in the sport to this task.

Here is my analysis of our year based on a comparison of the 28 November Poll with the one just released yesterday.

Here is the first poll:

STATE POLL:

1.BRADLEY CENTRAL          98

2.FATHER RYAN              88

3.BAYLOR                   68

4.WILSON CENTRAL           67

5.CLEVELAND                63

6.BEECH                    59

7.McCALLIE                 43

8.SCIENCE HILL             40

9.TENNESSEE HIGH           31

10.HALLS                   23

11.CHRISTIAN BROTHERS      18

12.SODDY DAISY             11

Others receiving votes:  ALCOA, ARLINGTON, COOKEVILLE, INDEPENDENCE, MBA, PIGEON FORGE, RAVENWOOD, SUMMIT, WALKER VALLEY

Wilson Central and Beech fell out by the end. Had it not been for some really unfortunate injuries, Wilson Central would have been in. I didn't see Beech, but they never seemed to really hit their stride, and they will do some damage next weekend, with four kids (Horst, Palmer, Rippy, and Smith) who could all make the finals. Both of those teams were completely legit first week picks. 

Arlington, MBA, and Halls took the beat people route into the top 12, and OW was right about them. Shannon's lot were probably one bullet away from the top four. 

Summit hung around all season long, and again were a match short of getting to where Halls was.  

Soddy Daisy had wins over Wilson Central, Science Hill, Arlington, and possibly others. Their only pitfall was geography, not a criteria for disqualification in my mind. 

MBA had a win over Arlington.

Pigeon Forge is the A-AA state champion. 

So ten of the final twelve were in the first poll. The two who fell out fell prey to injuries, and the two who got in followed the beat people route to the top twelve. The ten from 28 November who were in at the end were rearranged according to the beat people criteria; the only task my voters faced was how to arrange Baylor, Science Hill, Tennessee High, and Soddy Daisy. 

I think we started with a sound foundation of teams, turned the season on, and let people sort things out.

One of the things we here at the Hill take pride in is that we come out and play.

So in the final analysis, I'm very pleased with the work that our little cabal did this year. I had fun, and I hope you did too.  

Edited by ArtusCimber
  • Upvote 2

Wow. I would say you guys pretty much nailed it!

To have the AAA & D2 Champs as #1 & #2 is a job well done.

I fully agree that Soddy Daisy should be ahead (in the final poll) of the teams they beat. Geography carries zero weight in a ranking, while head to head wrestling on the mat is the most compelling argument. Bradley simply won the one that mattered most vs Cleveland.

Fabulous job Coaches and others with a vote. Wouldn't mind seeing a more Science Hill visits to the Chattanooga area, (whoops I forgot,,, Cleveland Duals I do believe, but like Ryan,,,, whole different team, right?) GP West would be nice, but I know it conflicts... but what a job by coach Jimmy Miller and his Price is Right Feeder!!

Edited by Sommers