AAA vs D2

D2wrestlingfan

Imagine how good they would be if we could get them training together on the regular with out a bunch of fat #### dads keeping score in the corner and posting it on the internet?

Truth, Brother.

Hey, after National Preps this weekend, the boys and I will be ready to go shooting anytime. If you'll have us?

-TH

not sure if that was a shot at me about the dads in a corner keeping score? but if so i am not the dad of any kid wrestling at all at this point, i am a former wrestler, assistant coach for a state champion winning team as well as one from when i was in GA and the comment about Cade wrestling around with Alex at McCallie practice is true, however I wasn't there keeping score for it, wasn't there at all, however coaches are. And yes there is a TON of great talent already around the lower weights and coming through the pipeline, future looks great and next year we might get the answer to at least the Holloway vs Whitworth since Notre Dame will be D2, so we will have to see how each grows and we might get to see that matchup! But again i would LOVE to pay good money to watch Cade, Alex and Horst go at it in a few matches.

That's quite a resume, congratulations. Is there a reason you don't post under your name? I'm new here so maybe everyone else knows who you are but I don't.

My earlier post wasn't directed at you, more at the tendency of many on this board to call out individual wrestlers, wether they know them or not. I made the assumption they were parents because I wouldn't think many coaches would do that. The way this board doesn't make you disclose your identity, I guess they could be kids too which would make more sense.

I'm all for going and finding good competition both in matches and practices. There seems to be a group here that puts a high priority on watching kids practice and then gossiping about it like a bunch of old ladies. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but that rubs me the wrong way.

I didn't wrestle growing up so don't have direct experience with it but I kind of like what Daniel Cormier said during an interview: "what happens in the practice room, stays in the practice room". Just my opinion and it's worth no more than yours.

One thing we do agree on is that the future is bright. A lot of the kids mentioned have been wrestling since 5 or 6 years old. It's going to be neat to see how they do as they grow and progress through the sport

• Upvote 1

A few do know who I am, been here a very long time, I am not as close to the sport anymore at all like i used to be, instead I have a high school soccer player and an 8 year old select soccer player as he wants to be just like his brother, sadly could get neither into the sport i love so i no longer coach and coach soccer instead. 

I also hate those on this board putting sometimes unobtainable goals on these kids, never know in life what might happen so i hate to see those going, this will be the next 5 time state champ, 4 time state champ etc. First, I have been around long enough to know some of those in the lower weights will end up growing substantially by even next year, they might not grow into their body and they wont be able to handle the jump, the 106 last year from PF Smith won state, this year he was 138 and wasn't close to being the best wrestler at that weight, he has a ton of talent but sometimes if their body grows that quickly they just cannot handle the weight jump quick enough, so they miss out on a state championship until they do grow into their body. Expectations can be high but i hate people putting that on these kids shoulders, because we never know what the future holds. I have seen people on here state that there isn't a 106 in the state that can stay with Alex, personally i think that's a joke, I know Cade could stay with him and so could Horst and Daniel and a few others could, he is a great wrestler for sure and he is also an 8th grader that is ahead of the game, I wish him luck in the future and I expect to continue to hear big things from him.

I'm always skeptical about the 106, 113lb wrestlers being able to compete the following year after a substantial growth spurt.  Eli King weighed 95lbs in May of his 8th grade year.  His dad and I thought he would be a small 106 or might not be strong enough to be consistent at 106 his freshman year.  However, he beat Navarro the returning 106 AAA state champ from Bradley his freshman year, jumped to 132 sophomore year and won state.  I finally got to see Whitworth and Horst wrestle.  IMO, they (Bowers too) will not have a problem winning in heavier weight classes.  They are different.     

Edited by Taxman

But there are way more state champs on this list of 3 timers and plus. http://tssaa.org/departments/tssaa-state-records/

That didn't win 106 and move up compared to those that did and won 3 or more. Yes it does happen, but there are many other stories of those that win it and never heard from again compared to those that win middle weight classes and move up but continue to win state titles. Out of those on that list most of them won state titles within 3 weights classes of the one in which they started their title runs. So it does happen but there is a much smaller number who are successful from the 106 weight class and that end up in the 132 pound class at the end and don't win it compared to those who do. Most of those in going through the list won their first state title around the 125 back in the day 126 now and moved up ending around 145 pound class. I have never said that Horst or Alex W are not studs, they are, but I would say if they were to experience a growth spurt this summer like my oldest did they would have a much rougher time winning state next year, my son went from 4'7 85 pounds to 5'5 135 in less than a year from 8th to 9th grade, just never know what those growth spurts will bring lol