A Question...

PinU46

There are two truths driving the move for complete separation: (1) there are a significant number of public school coaches and administrators who are thoroughly convinced that ALL private schools cheat and there is no changing their minds and (2) there is an overwhelming attitude among public school coaches and administrators that winning is much more important than competition. So, a complete split it is a foregone conclusion.

That being the case, I was just wondering, what happens after all the private schools have been banished to DII? Who will be the next target of the mediocre and

less-than-mediocre public schools who can only win by eliminating superior competition?

Hey pinu46, Just who are these so called elite teams that will eventually be banished to Division 2 that we are supposedly scared of in Division 1? Last time I checked, none of the teams that will be forced to move have ever done anything remotely worth being scared of at the state tournamment.

My program dodges no one and I know a lot of other division 1 coaches that wrestle all.

Please shed some light on my previous question.

I have to agree with KKW, they will wrestle anyone and duck no one. They wrestle DII schools. We are wrestling in their tournament in December. For the record, I believe that most DII school's oppose the complete split and the split in general. Contrary to popular belief, most do no give athletic scholarships. Aid is given on a need basis, to anyone, period. We do not have a wrestler on out team that receives aid. They all pay in full. If we recruit so well, our recruiting director (if we have one) should be fired! Also, Bradley Central does not boycott all DII schools, we wresteld them last year. No one seems to remember that? Lastly, I do not think that the DII schools intend on wrestling in the Prep Nationals, despite what a couple schools may want. Competition is a good thing, we should wrestle everyone. A couple of school do not represent the entire body of DII schools.

Chris Lewis

CBHS

First, Walkenvol, KKW is Coach Johnny Masters of Kenwood High School and, much to his credit, he does not dodge anyone. In fact, he regularly competes against private schools (i.e., the Father Ryan Invitational) because he wants solid competition whether is it public or private. I admire that!

Second, Coach Masters, did you read my question?! I stated that "there are a SIGNIFICANT NUMBER of public school coaches and administrators who are thoroughly convinced that ALL private schools cheat..." and that "there is an OVERWHELMING attitude among public school coaches and administrators that winning is much more important than competition." I never referred to private schools as ELITE nor did I state that ANY public schools were running scared. So please re-read my earlier post and answer the question: once there are no more private schools in DI, who will be the next target of the mediocre and less-than-mediocre public schools who can only win by eliminating superior competition?

Coach Masters, since I admire your program and your desire to complete with the best (whether it is a public school or a private school), I am anxiously awaiting an answer to my original question because, I suspect that successful programs like yours may one day become the target of the never-wases and never-will-bes.

it wouldnt be fair unless I reminded you all of how overton created the "Duck under" from the private schools after the split. Though they are correcting this problem, not wrestling in any tournaments where a private school is competing too, um, where did that program quickly go, umm, where did that once best tourney in Nashville go, ummm, that program reeks as bad as the weightroom behind the Overton wrestling room used to, you know what Im talking about. Lets be serious, they need you, you need them, and who suffers? the kids trying to go to college and wrestle. Its hard enough as it is to get on a team, title 9 and such, why add to the problem "he wrestled in a split division state". If you dontthink the college coaches are saying that about TN you are flat wrong. There are only a few Phillip Simpsons and Matt McCarty's out there, we have to end this split!

This complete separation is not about wrestling, it's about football. I predicted in 1992 that eventionally the county school districts would eventially want to separate from city school districts. I now believe it will be any school district that accepts tuition. Most city districts have students who pay tuition. The playing field will never be exactly level. As Mr. Emmit Simon said,"How long will it be before a caucasian student wins the 100 meter dash?" All the tinkering will never give all students a chance to be a state champion. Let's get back to developing athletes and good tax paying citizens.

Guest TAKEDOWN

I think the point you have made is very valid. The point of improving your program is not to continue beating the nobody's, but seaking out better teams and competition. You are only as good as your partner, and let's face it... if it were easy everyone would have great teams. Well put... and good luck with your goals... stay focussed on improvement