Bearden Invitational Schedule (starts tonight)

PowellBoysSoccer

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, early mistakes and two subs are not conducive to beating good teams. If we can get two starters back that's we didn't have all weekend it would help immensely, but everyone deals with that at some point. Just glad we could show well for the Knox area and our district. The girls played extremely hard and have some confidence moving forward.

The games I know are:

Clarksville 4-3 HVA

Houston over Hendersonville (don't recall the score)

Bearden 4-0 Bartlett

Springboro (OH) 4-0 Farragut

Maryville 2-1 Arlington

From what I understand, Bearden may be a bit more athletic and talented than Farragut and HVA, and almost surely deeper. However, let's do consider the difference in opponents over the weekend. HVA and Farragut absolutely had tougher schedules than Bearden. Bearden beat CPA and Bartlett pretty easily. Looking at common opponents here, both of these teams are on the same level with McMinn County (CPA tied them and Bartlett lost 2-5 to them). I happen to know for a fact that just a week and a half ago Farragut beat McMinn County 3-0 and simply passed the ball around for the entire 2nd half. Moving on to another common opponent, a friend of mine watched the Bearden v Springboro game and said Springboro dominated the entire game. He said they hit crossbar and post several times and that Bearden's keeper is quite good, and made some great plays. Farragut were beaten quite handily by Springboro, on the third day in a row of playing a tough schedule. And I heard Farragut lost their top offensive weapon to a serious knee injury Saturday night. HVA's schedule was probably even tougher than Farragut's. Clarksville are defending state champs and Houston is Houston. Both HVA and Farragut probably should have beat Baylor.

All this being said, HVA and Farragut are definitely not powerhouses right now. I think there is a top tier of public school teams in the state that include Houston and Collierville, Clarksville and possibly another one or two middle TN teams, and I don't know that there is a single east TN team that we can put on that level right now. Bearden and Maryville are definitely the closest, but are probably better described as a second tier team, where HVA and Farragut both are. (It's worth pointing out that Powell is definitely in this mix for east TN teams right now as well and definitely proved themselves this weekend). HVA and Farragut struggles go beyond just this year. From what I understand they have a lot of program rebuilding and for whatever reasons, as has been addressed in another thread, they're just not getting the level of players they used to get.

Good points all.

Our prayers are with MM about her knee.  Hoping for only a hyperextension and not worse.

Anytime one transitions from a longtime coach to a new one there are growing pains.  That is the hope at Farragut.  Once the girls fully understand the system, it will be easier to implement during games.  Right now it is tough to watch especially with the rivalry games coming up.

Before this weekend I thought Powell was probably a mid level team in the state.  After the way they played their three games, including defeating the defending state champs, they appeared poised to move up to the highest level.

Ridges82, 

Good assessment.  I think there are some good teams (AAA) in East TN this year, but I'll have to see them beat the top Nashville/Memphis teams before I think they can make a lot of noise.  And I've also been around some of the younger club and middle school feeders ... Bearden and Maryville both have young HS talent and will keep getting stronger talent these next 2-3 years going forward.   Not as convinced for Farragut and HVA.  Not sure why, as maybe it's just ebb and flow.  I do know Farragut will be loaded the next few years on boys' side, but likely not for girls.