Region 5AA

TheStuff

Region 5AA Schedule for the first week of region games:

#7 Columbia Academy (1-1,0-0) at Summertown (0-2,0-0)

Forrest (0-2, 0-0) at #10 Eagleville (2-0,0-0)

Lewis County (2-0, 0-0) at Loretto (0-2, 0-0)

Community (0-2, 0-0) is IDLE

With uncertainty about the incoming inclement weather,  I am currently going under the assumption that all games will be played as scheduled. I know that there has been some dialogue about some schools in the mid-state playing on Saturday, but have heard nothing definitive.

Any predictions for the first set of region matchups?

I am going with all 3 visitors. I think CA and LC take care of business, possibly in a big way. I also think the Rockets right their ship and get their 1st win of 2017.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weather could be the only thing to keep some scores closer than they would be under ideal conditions.

Loretto has lost 21 straight games, their last win was the first game of the 2015 season against Summertown. Lewis County won at Loretto last year, in the rain, 43-25, and are 13-0 against Loretto since 2001. Even with the youth at skill positions, and the real strength of the team right now being the defensive line, I think the Panthers put 40 on the board under decent field conditions. With conditions tonight expected to be sloppy at best, effective run game and run defense will be the key. My prediction for tonight, Lewis County 36 Loretto 6

Columbia Academy enters tonight ranked #7 in AA in this weeks AP Poll. They are 1-1, but their loss was to 4A Spring Hill last week. CA handed Summertown their 1st loss in 2016, and have won both meetings with the Eagles since the Eagles began playing varsity football two years ago. Summertown lost a close one to Hickman County in week 1. The weather, as in every game tonight, will have some impact on the game. CA is considered one of the "contenders" in the region, and Summertown has dropped off from last year. Prediction, Columbia Academy 33 Summertown 12

Forrest travels to Eagleville in the third region matchup scheduled for tonight. Eagleville enters ranked #10 in AA in this weeks AP Poll. Eagleville has put points on the board in each of their first 2 games, and their offense is highlighted with a number of weapons that can get it done in the air and on the ground. Forrest has dropped their first 2 games for the first time since 2005, and seems to be looking for their identity. Forrest has won 3 straight meetings with Eagleville, and needs a win to right the ship as they get into the region schedule. Will the sloppy conditions slow down the Eagleville offense? Prediction Forrest 26 Eagleville 23 

Community will be on a bye this week and won't begin region play for 2 more weeks. 

I will be honest, I was a little bit unsure of how close my picks would be in terms of score and result. The weather was something hard to predict, and I am working to become more familiar with the new opponents in 5AA.

Lewis County did not play a very good 1st half of football. Uncharacteristically, they had penalties that both took points off the board for them, and extended drives for Loretto. However, they came out after the half and took the kickoff to the house, followed that up with a 3-and-out on defense, and another score. The defensive line took control in the 3rd quarter, and the Panther offense did what was expected. The weather may have been the biggest surprise. Left Hohenwald in a steady rain, reached Summertown in an absolute downpour, crossed old Hwy 64 and the clouds parted, by the time we reached Loretto the sun was shining on the field and a rainbow in the clouds.

I expected Forrest-Eagleville to be a good game, and I gave the slight edge to the Rockets because the game was in Chapel Hill. Eagleville was able to take the victory in OT, in what must have been a great game, as it was tight all night.

The CA-Summertown game was close early, and I am sure the field was pretty sloppy because of how the rain was falling 2 hours before gametime when I went through. I haven't heard, but I have to think it was a messy first half. CA was able to put distance between them in the second half and cruise to the win.

I am going to keep updating this thread each week with region matchups and my predictions. I hope to see some other Region 5AA fans get in and provide some perspective.

5 hours ago, TheStuff said:

I will be honest, I was a little bit unsure of how close my picks would be in terms of score and result. The weather was something hard to predict, and I am working to become more familiar with the new opponents in 5AA.

Lewis County did not play a very good 1st half of football. Uncharacteristically, they had penalties that both took points off the board for them, and extended drives for Loretto. However, they came out after the half and took the kickoff to the house, followed that up with a 3-and-out on defense, and another score. The defensive line took control in the 3rd quarter, and the Panther offense did what was expected. The weather may have been the biggest surprise. Left Hohenwald in a steady rain, reached Summertown in an absolute downpour, crossed old Hwy 64 and the clouds parted, by the time we reached Loretto the sun was shining on the field and a rainbow in the clouds.

I expected Forrest-Eagleville to be a good game, and I gave the slight edge to the Rockets because the game was in Chapel Hill. Eagleville was able to take the victory in OT, in what must have been a great game, as it was tight all night.

The CA-Summertown game was close early, and I am sure the field was pretty sloppy because of how the rain was falling 2 hours before gametime when I went through. I haven't heard, but I have to think it was a messy first half. CA was able to put distance between them in the second half and cruise to the win.

I am going to keep updating this thread each week with region matchups and my predictions. I hope to see some other Region 5AA fans get in and provide some perspective.

Yeah Summertown was never in it. CA's Defense allowed no first downs, -28 yds total offense, Summertown was not allowed across the 50yd line.  CA's Offense was experimenting with two new players at QB for over half the game. 

There didn't seem to be much unity amongst Summertown's players. They were cussing and yelling at each other all night and a member of their chain gang gave the line judge a few choice words before receiving a personal foul for running across the field after CA's 3rd TD of the night. 

Edited by Dunc4265

51 minutes ago, Dunc4265 said:

There didn't seem to be must unity amongst Summertown's players. They were cussing and yelling at each other all night and a member of their chain gang gave the line judge a few choice words before receiving a personal foul for running across the field after CA's 3rd TD of the night. 

Would like to say that I am surprised.....but I am not.

Region 5AA Schedule for Week 4:

#8 Eagleville (3-0,1-0) at Lewis County (3-0, 1-0)

Summertown (0-3.0-1) at Forrest (0-3, 0-1) 

Non-region matchups:

#5 Columbia Academy (2-1, 1-0) at IIAA Middle Division Lipscomb Academy (0-3, 0-1)

Community (0-2, 0-0) at 5A Richland (1-2,0-1)

Loretto (0-3, 0-1) at 6A Collinwood (1-1, 0-0)

Weather conditions look to be trending toward a great night for football this Friday. In the region matchups, Eagleville faces a test on the road as they travel to Lewis County. Eagleville bumped up 2 spots in this weeks AP poll after a 1-point overtime win over winless Forrest. Summertown or Forrest will come away with their first win of the 2017 campaign.

Of the non-region matchups, the CA-Lipscomb game should be telling. CA moved up 3 spots in this weeks AP poll, and faces a team that is better than their record indicates. Community returns from a bye week to travel to Richland, and Loretto carries their 22 game losing streak on the road to Collinwood.

Looks like Friday will be a prefect night for football. Only 2 region matchups, and something has to give in each of them. One game will see a team handed their first loss, the other will see a team get their first victory of 2017.

Eagleville travels to Lewis County to face the 3-0 Panthers. Eagleville moved up 2 spots in this weeks AP Top 10 for Class 2A, and are now ranked #8. Eagleville had a big region win last week against Forrest, a 1 point victory in overtime. Lewis County overcame a poor first half to pull away from region foe Loretto. Lewis County has won the matchup with Eagleville in each of their previous meetings, 43-15 two years ago and 48-14 last year. Lewis County has won 9 straight regular-season games at home. My prediction for tonight, Lewis County 38 Eagleville 20

Winless Summertown travels to Chapel Hill to face the Forrest Rockets, who also have yet to tally a win in 2017. Summertown has been outscored 65-7 in the last 2 weeks, and their offense couldn't muster positive yardage last week against CA. It is Homecoming for the Rockets, and they have looked better the last couple of weeks, taking #8 Eagleville to overtime before losing by 1.  This is the first meeting between the two schools on the gridiron, and I expect Forrest to notch the win. Forrest 32 Summertown 6

Columbia Academy comes in now ranked #5 and travels to Lipscomb Academy to take on the winless Mustangs. This should be a real test for the Bulldogs, despite the Lipscomb record. CA beat up on Summertown last week, and didn't allow positive yardage for 4 quarters, so their defense is strong.  Lipscomb has struggled to score, but their opponents have been some of the stronger Division II teams in the midstate.  On the road, I still give CA an edge. Columbia Academy 27 Lipscomb 18

Community is coming off a bye week trying to get in the win column as the travel to Richland.  The Viking defense has given up half-a-hundred in both games, and will need to have corrected some things during the open week to get on track. Richland  has lost 2 in a row, and were handled last week by Mt. Pleasant. Community has shown an ability to put points on the board, but can they stop anyone from scoring. Could be a high scoring game. Community 41 Richland 32

Loretto has now lost 22 straight games spanning 3 seasons. They were in the game early last week against Lewis County, but that was more because of Panther miscues and execution than anything the Mustangs did. They go on the road to Collinwood, who notched their first win of the season at Shoals Christian in North Alabama.  Loretto has good size, and could make it a game, especially if they move the ball like they did in the first half last week. Maybe this is the week Loretto breaks the losing streak, but I am not calling it. Collinwood 32 Loretto 20

Region 5AA Schedule for Week 5:

#8 Lewis County (4-0, 2-0) at Summertown (0-4, 0-2) 

Forrest (1-3, 1-1) at #4 Columbia Academy (3-1, 1-0)

Community (1-2, 0-0) at Eagleville (3-1, 1-1)

Loretto (1-3, 0-1) IDLE 

Three region matchups on tap this Friday night, with Loretto having the week off to extend the celebration of the win at Collinwood, Coach Cruce's first win at Loretto and the Mustangs first win since week 1 of 2015. Lewis County climbs into the AP top 10 this week, and Eagleville subsequently drops out, after the game last Friday at LC. Lewis County should continue their march through the schedule as they visit winless Summertown. Forrest seems to have found new direction with a new signal caller, and it led to their first win, albeit at Summertown, last week. Can Forrest build on the momentum and knock of #4 Columbia Academy, fresh off their win at Lipscomb Academy. The final matchup has Eagleville hosting Community for the Viking's first regional tilt of 2017. Community hung 58 on Richland Friday, and the Eagles were handed their first loss of 2017.