Coffee County Head Coaching Position

Guest TCMiller

Guest TCMiller

The last thread (Coffee County Job is open!) was locked out and I'm interested to know why. Any particular reason?

Plus, I got nine reply e-mails and only 5 showed in the thread. I have an idea why this occurred, but I'd like to know what was said. In fact, anyone who has comments to make but would prefer to e-mail me personally, fire one my way. aekdbtc@hotmail.com

Guest TCMiller

Does anyone know any details about replacements, reactions, etc.? Anyone know if the school board is getting any negative feedback concerning their decision? What is going on with everything???

prince, whatever you're trying to say is not coming through. I don't know what the problem is...E-mail me and then I will try to post it myself.

TC,

The reaction has been split from my vantage point. Some are way against it, some are way for it and some stand somewhere in the middle. As far as I know about eight applications have been sent in and they are hoping to hire someone as quick as possible. Only one coach has actually visited the school. I would be surprised if someone is not hired before Christmas.

TC,

I posted and read daily the posts in the last thread waiting on someone to show they knew what they were talking about. The school board members were mentioned and bashed by some on that thread. What no one mentioned (probably because they didn't know) is that the School Board has nothing to do with hiring or firing of personnel. That duty falls to the Superintendant (Director of Schools) and Principal. In this case, the Superintendant (Cummings) and the Principal of CCHS (Reggie Johnson) made this decision. Some mentioned school board member "PT" as having something to do with it. "PT" or Paul Thornton is one that I know defended Coach Breeden and fought to keep him. Since the super's job became an appointed job, and not an elected position, the responsiblilty of personnel falls directly to him as the director of schools, and the school board handles policy and funding. If Coach Breeden were to appeal the decision of the Super & Principal, then the school board would hear the appeal. I enjoy posting with people who know what they are talking about, but it was obvious that some on the other thread knew nothing of what they were saying. Some, however, made good posts, such as yourself and ERA. Others just wanted to bash someone. It really didn't matter who they bashed just as long as they bashed somebody. There's more problems in Coffee County than who the coach is. It's all about politics and power.

[Edited by tk6under on 11-22-02 9:06A]

[Edited by tk6under on 11-22-02 9:16A]

Just for the record, the old title "Superintendent" is now replaced with the title "Director of Schools." There are no more Superintendents in Tennessee. It will take some time for everyone to adjust to the switch but it came about by state legislation a few years back. Tk6 is correct, the Director of Schools controls all hiring and firing of school employees. I don't know much about Coffe County football, but it does sound like there is more political things going on here! I assume the coach has tenure, if that is the case, he can stay as long as he wants as a teacher. Is there any word if he will stay on as softabll coach?

Hopefully Coach B will stay on as Softball Coach. If you or anyone has ever watched him coach, you will have to agree that he gives 150% to his kids. His record as a softball coach speaks to his ability as a coach and motivator. No one works harder than he does. I've seen him at the field with his team at all times of the day and in all kinds of weather. As long as the kids are willing, he'll be there. I have heard rumors of softball positions open within 30-45 miles of Manchester that would be interested in him, but they are just that--rumors. Coffee County will be fortunate if they can hold on to him.

Guest TCMiller

This post is from Terry Prince and he has tried to post it to no avail. I figured that I would give it a shot for him.

My name is Terry Prince and I'm not going to hide behind a nickname either. This will be a history lesson for those who haven't been involved with Coffee County football. I have been involved with Coffee County football a lot longer that most, if not all of the people who have posted on this site about the current situation. I really became involved when my son was playing football at the middle school and Ron Crawford was the high school head coach. In my opinion, Coach Crawford was the first step that Coffee

County took in trying to rebuild our program, but he left for personal reasons.

After he left, one of his assistants, Coach Labron Ferguson took over and stayed one year. He also left for personal reasons and I think most people at the time thought he was the one who could turn our program around.

After he left, the school board hired in my opinion, the worst person available. Bert Brown, the person who had already quit on the players and was looking hard to find another job. He told the school board, hire me and I'll be here forever. He inherited a team with 23 juniors and probably the best football player in the state, Chris Elam. Good ole Bert, who could tell you all about when he played football at Tennessee Tech, knew that when this group of boys were seniors, they would probably win enough games to make it to the playoffs. His first year (2-8) he played this group win or lose no matter if he was winning big or losing big (more big loses that big wins). The next year he went 7-3 during the regular season, behind running

back Chris Elam, and lost to McMinn County in the first round of the playoffs. Just before fall practice was to begin, Bert decided to pull up stakes and look for something better. He ended up following Chris Elam,

trying to ride his coattail. So for those out there who think Brown was the best coach we ever had, I think you're wrong. Coach Breeden was hired to replace him. Jeff inherited a team with about 45 players, 8 of which were seniors, the rest quit because they never got to play. Jeff worked long and hard preparing his team to play. As you hear Gov say in an earlier post these were some really intense practices. However when your playing 5A football with eight seniors and about 8 juniors you're not going to win. Our weight program under Brown was nonexistent, so

Jeff was working with undersized athletes. Jeff turned our weight program around, our weight room is probably one of the best equipped in the area. He got boys out, and our numbers increased; we got bigger, faster, and stronger. Jeff also realized we had other problems. When he got the

Westwood players they were a year behind in the system he was running. The middle school had a coach who for whatever reasons didn't want to work with him so he's trying to teach them his system as freshman. As tk6under said, there was and still is a problem with the feeder programs.

That's half of it...Here comes the rest.

Guest TCMiller

...and here's the rest of it.

There have been problems with the administration in the past. They drug their feet when Jeff wanted to hire assistants. However they did give him some control over

the middle school. Jeff and some of his staff worked with the middle school in fall practice last year but the sad thing was he couldn't be at both places. Maybe the school board has learned from their mistakes and will not make the same ones again. When they hire a replacement they need to give the new coach the freedom to bring quality assistants with him. I don't think if we are true supporters of Raider football we need to be bashing the school board, the players or the coaches. The players, past and present,

have worked hard during their careers, and losing was as hard on them as it was the coaches and the true supporters. Raider football players probably have built more character than boys from winning programs. Can you imagine what it must have been like to endure all of the losing seasons we have had and still go out and fight to win each and every week? That is another testament to the type of person and coach that Jeff is. I think Jeff will

admit that he has made mistakes in the past. I have talked with Jeff a lot in the past about what most people thought needed to be done. Some he agreed with, others he didn't. What I didn't do was sit in the stands and second guess every call and talk about him behind his back. I had the balls to go to him and tell him what I thought. I hate what happened. I've worked hard in the past for Jeff and the program. I will continue to work hard and I will support whoever the administration decides to hire. I hope

they hire someone that Jeff will want to work with. He has made a lot of improvements in the program and I think he would like to be around to support the program when we start winning. Adam and the rest of the returning players need him around because he is a good person and has made

great improvements in both sports programs of Coffee County.

...........that's my opinion.

Terry, I think it might have been too big before.

TC-I agree with Terry 100%. If they want a coach, let him coach. He should be able to make all decisions regarding his team, assistants, etc. This has never been done in the past. Too much pressure from the "Throne Room" on what the coach can & can't do or what he can or can't have for his program. THEY WILL NOT FIND ANYONE ANY BETTER FOR THE JOB THAN BREEDEN. ALL THEY NEED TO DO IS TURN HIM LOOSE AND LEAVE HIM ALONE. ALL THE DIRECTOR OF SCHOOLS AND SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS NEED TO DO IS BURY THE HATCHETT, WORK WITH THE MANCHESTER CITY SCHOOL BOARD, FIX THE FEEDER PROGRAMS (WESTWOOD JR. HIGH & COFFEE CO. MIDDLE) AND LET THE COACH DO HIS JOB THE WAY HE SEES FIT.