York Institute @ Sequatchie Co.

SCPRIDE30

1 hour ago, Indian said:

York won 20-14, scored early in the third quarter on a long run and neither team scored again. Tough ending for Sequatchie, ran 13 yards to the York 5 on fourth and six with about 3 minutes left but was penalized 15 yards on the play for hurdling a defender. Would have had first and goal inside the 5 after driving all the way from their 14. Didn't make it on fourth from the 20 but blocked a punt with about 1 minute left, couldn't get two pass attempts off to end the game.

I didn't know that a offense player carrying the ball couldn't hurdle a defender?  You see it all the time in college & Pro ball! 

Ethan in fact has done that how many times in the past 4 years and never had a penalty called.  Very picky by the ref on that. IMO 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Indian said:

York won 20-14, scored early in the third quarter on a long run and neither team scored again. Tough ending for Sequatchie, ran 13 yards to the York 5 on fourth and six with about 3 minutes left but was penalized 15 yards on the play for hurdling a defender. Would have had first and goal inside the 5 after driving all the way from their 14. Didn't make it on fourth from the 20 but blocked a punt with about 1 minute left, couldn't get two pass attempts off to end the game.

After the blocked punt, York sacked the QB twice. York had it 4th and 1 late in the game and I couldn't understand why they tried to pass, which failed, when they have Probst and Cooper who could have made that 1 yard and most likely York would have gone   in for a touchdown on that drive and gone ahead 27-14. They had 2 touch down leads on Smith Co and let that game get away from them but didn't allow the game to get away from them tonight. York was really tough in the 2nd half. As for the refs, York got bad calls too. Sequatchie knocked the ball out of bounds on a York kickoff and the ref said it was off a York player...none were there. Then they called a delay of game when a York player put his hand up when he was about to receive a kickoff. They then didn't call it on Sequatchie when their player did the very same thing. I know everyone on the mountain is very proud of the Dragons going to Sequatchie and winning.

The hurdling call was right for the high school level but I have seen it gone uncalled too. Just a bad time when Sequatchie would have the ball around the 5 with first and goal and could have taken most of the game clock off had they scored. They just didn't seem sharp as usual for the game, the unforced turnover at the goalline early in the game turned out to be a killer. Can't have such mistakes when York's quarterback was capable of moving them down the field immediately at any time. Now Sequatchie awaits Grundy's situation.

10 hours ago, Sequatchie said:

I didn't know that a offense player carrying the ball couldn't hurdle a defender?  You see it all the time in college & Pro ball! 

Ethan in fact has done that how many times in the past 4 years and never had a penalty called.  Very picky by the ref on that. IMO 

NFHS Football Rules Book

Rule 9-4-3

No player or nonplayer shall: d. Hurdle an opponent. Personal Foul 15 Yards.

Rule 2-22

Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump (hurdle) with one or both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet.

12 hours ago, bobcatfan300 said:

After the blocked punt, York sacked the QB twice. York had it 4th and 1 late in the game and I couldn't understand why they tried to pass, which failed, when they have Probst and Cooper who could have made that 1 yard and most likely York would have gone   in for a touchdown on that drive and gone ahead 27-14. They had 2 touch down leads on Smith Co and let that game get away from them but didn't allow the game to get away from them tonight. York was really tough in the 2nd half. As for the refs, York got bad calls too. Sequatchie knocked the ball out of bounds on a York kickoff and the ref said it was off a York player...none were there. Then they called a delay of game when a York player put his hand up when he was about to receive a kickoff. They then didn't call it on Sequatchie when their player did the very same thing. I know everyone on the mountain is very proud of the Dragons going to Sequatchie and winning.

For one seq never called a fair catch, your player did then,took off running. Can't do that. That late 4th down call on seq qb was ridiculous. 

12 hours ago, Sequatchie said:

You see it on high school football,on tv all the time and no penalty 

17 minutes ago, SCPRIDE30 said:

You see it on high school football,on tv all the time and no penalty 

I disagree he did wave his hand.  I seen it in a high school football game last night and it was a penalty.  It’s only ridiculous when it’s against your team.  I’d be upset if it went the other way.   Great game by to evenly matched teams last night.    

The hurdling was a player trying to help his team, York was fortunate he decided to do that. If not it's probably an extra point to decide the winner or overtime. Without his efforts over the game it wouldn't have been close. 

I am more disappointed in the 5 fumbles, 1 lost but all hurting drives especially the first, than the hurdle.

Looks like the top 3 in the region so far are very equal.

Not sure why there is such an uproar over a 5 yard penalty, delay on the return.

I'm sure Sequatchie is anxious to get back on the field but may be another forfeit next Friday.

Edited by Indian

3 hours ago, bobcatfan300 said:

20-14 and it was completely the refs winning for York. Sorry but York overcame the bad calls against them, and I guess SC didn't. And, the SC player DID put up his hand calling for a fair catch and took off running.

Haha whatever you say dude. Seq knows better to do that unlike York.