Random curiosity.

RealisticFan45

23 hours ago, oldschoolhoops said:

It's my personal opinion (which counts no more than anyone else's) that a team ought to look "uniform" beyond just the wearing of a uniform. Even uniforms can be worn in such a way (shorts rolling and tucking) that while the players are all technically wearing the same attire they don't look uniform, which is the whole goal. I believe teams look best when they all wear the same everything(socks undershirts, etc). Having said that, I agree with the previous post which stated that it's the coaches' jobs to make sure that all of the attire is uniform before they leave the locker room. 

On a different facet of the issue, there seems to have been(maybe still is) an issue at times with "logos" showing on underclothing even when the whole team is dressed alike, which I think is just a silly thing to worry about, especially when said logo is the same exact logo that is on the uniform they are wearing. If it's a problem of everyone not having on the same thing- fine, but beyond that I don't see the purpose.  

There seems to be some confusion about exactly what the rule and all of its "tentacles" are. At a  high school game last year I actually witnessed a referee instruct a young lady and her coach that she had to go remove her undershirt during the 3rd quarter, after having played the entire first half of the game wearing it! If, as a coach, I took the time and funds to have my entire team dressed in the same uniform, underclothing, socks, shoes, and whatever else- I would be aggravated if they made us pull off the undershirts because of a visible logo that matched our uni's. 

Finally, if it's a rule(and it is), it needs to be adhered to, regardless of whether it's enforced at every contest or not, but there might need to be some true efforts to clarify from top to bottom, rule makers right down to refs and coaches. It's surely not a pleasant job for the referees to have to be fashion police during warm-ups.

Kind of a long post, but this issue seems to have become far more complex than it needs to be! 

I agree with whole team being uniform, from a color scheme standpoint, and yes that is a rule. If one player has on black under garments, unless its a brace of some type, all players have to have on black under garments. I am all for that. I am not for, all players have to wear long sleeves if one player has long sleeves. That is not the rule. Some may need to wear long sleeves because of sensitive skin, others may need or want to wear short sleeves. Why does length of sleeves matter? How is the game effected?  Why cant the shorts be rolled? If a player is 5'4 115lbs and the only uniform left is an XL, Whats rolling shorts going to hurt? Lets focus more on putting emphasis on charges and hand checking like they are supposed to be doing inside of rolled shorts, logos and sleeve length. Refs try to enforce things because they believe coaches don't know the rules. I have been to middle school games and none of this is even addressed. A middle school game last night a player had on a blue head band, another had on a pink one. Kids had on dark blue compression pants, another had on white. Officiating is not consistent across the board and its ridiculous, from uniforms to calls. I guess its just me but there is a lot of irrelevant rules and guidelines that have nothing to do with the outcome of the game.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RealisticFan45 said:

I agree with whole team being uniform, from a color scheme standpoint, and yes that is a rule. If one player has on black under garments, unless its a brace of some type, all players have to have on black under garments. I am all for that. I am not for, all players have to wear long sleeves if one player has long sleeves. That is not the rule. Some may need to wear long sleeves because of sensitive skin, others may need or want to wear short sleeves. Why does length of sleeves matter? How is the game effected?  Why cant the shorts be rolled? If a player is 5'4 115lbs and the only uniform left is an XL, Whats rolling shorts going to hurt? Lets focus more on putting emphasis on charges and hand checking like they are supposed to be doing inside of rolled shorts, logos and sleeve length. Refs try to enforce things because they believe coaches don't know the rules. I have been to middle school games and none of this is even addressed. A middle school game last night a player had on a blue head band, another had on a pink one. Kids had on dark blue compression pants, another had on white. Officiating is not consistent across the board and its ridiculous, from uniforms to calls. I guess its just me but there is a lot of irrelevant rules and guidelines that have nothing to do with the outcome of the game.

I agree sleeve length has nothing to do with game...shorts rolling, uniformity, headbands- none of it affects outcome of game (just a preference on my part as a coach), in fact they could probably all wear their own clothes and throw on pennies and play to the same outcome I'm sure. Perhaps its just a rule to help promote official order in the game, I don't know- but I'd like to know what the discussion was that precipitated the making of the rule. That'd probably help us all understand, but not being privy to that conversation, I suppose we have to roll with what we know.

On 12/5/2017 at 10:36 AM, RealisticFan45 said:

The big thing about the shorts being rolled up is that it shows another manufacture's logo, and the NFHS is anal about size/location/number of manufactures logos visible on uniforms. That's also why some undershirts are not legal by the letter of the rule (especially Under Armor) because they have a logo right under the collar and are not covered up by the uniform. I don't understand why it matters, but that's the way it is in the book.