Cannon Changes

madmolly

8 hours ago, WingTguy said:

Work with what you have.

Form a committee (coaches, parents, administration) to interview the top 3 to 4 applicants who are selected by the AD and Principal.  If the AD has no say in the process, then the AD is a not a true leadership position.  Hire someone who is hungry and wants to make a statement.  Don't just pick someone who makes a lot of empty promises, but uses words like "hard work, commitment, dedication, will to learn."  

What Woodbury needs is a coach that can run a weight room, coach his butt off, and command the respect of his players.  You will start to win games with that attitude, but it takes years to build a whole team on those principals.  

Do you have anyone in mind?

1 hour ago, hollowman said:

That's ONE of the several issues at hand.

Your right.  The program is in shambles.  The one thing you have to do is get the pay competitive to bring in top quality coach and assistant.  12 month contract will make it better, but more would be needed. 

Next Priority is the weight room. 

Can' t see why any coach would want to  be in a system,   at  a high school, when that system did not have a Middle School  building unless they were from there or could not get another job.  How's that county-wide team working out for you over the last  few years? If you are going to do it do it right not half-way just look what you get.

4 hours ago, madmolly said:

Can' t see why any coach would want to  be in a system,   at  a high school, when that system did not have a Middle School  building unless they were from there or could not get another job.  How's that county-wide team working out for you over the last  few years? If you are going to do it do it right not half-way just look what you get.

The County Wide team is not supported the way it should be, just like some middle school teams are not supported.  

Since Cannon has no money to build a new Middle School, lets please move past the idea of a Middle School.  It would cost $15 million plus to build one, I base this off the cost of one being built in RCS.  See reference: http://www.dnj.com/story/news/2016/07/19/board-approves-funding-rocky-fork-ms-construction/87289016/

I figure that a MS in Cannon could probably get done for half as much as RCS.  Plus, you would have to build athletic fields and facilities to go along with this.  This does not include buying the land and finishing the building.  

Enough?

Money would be better spent updating facilities, turf field so all could play on the surface (County teams, Junior leagues, 9th, JV, and Varsity)

Weight Room Coach ( For all sports)

Weight Room addition 

Competitive Salaries for coaches and teachers.

Investment in programs for kids.

Transportation for county wide teams (Football)

Paid Coaches for County Wide Teams. 

Edited by WingTguy

Been keeping up with various threads a long time.  Had to create a new account; kept forgetting log in info :)

I began the county wide program in 95 with great hopes. Left it in great hands; they were quite successful. Over the years, the program became affiliated with the community rather than the school programs. No real harm, except the loss of the middle school mentality.

I returned this year. Yes, the supplements need improvement. My combined supplement for two sports dropped by $5300. I arrived to a team of 8 kids. We grew and we learned some football. No, we did not win any games but 1st game to last we began to resemble a football team. I am not a champion of life guy but I'll take a win there.

I, along with some others, did persuade the county to provide transportation to practice. Major accomplishment that will help next year.

The 7 and 8 grades do need to begin identifying with each other. We hope to take steps in that direction.

I hope the community can see a renewed effort being made for the kids.

20 hours ago, lock63 said:

Been keeping up with various threads a long time.  Had to create a new account; kept forgetting log in info :)

I began the county wide program in 95 with great hopes. Left it in great hands; they were quite successful. Over the years, the program became affiliated with the community rather than the school programs. No real harm, except the loss of the middle school mentality.

I returned this year. Yes, the supplements need improvement. My combined supplement for two sports dropped by $5300. I arrived to a team of 8 kids. We grew and we learned some football. No, we did not win any games but 1st game to last we began to resemble a football team. I am not a champion of life guy but I'll take a win there.

I, along with some others, did persuade the county to provide transportation to practice. Major accomplishment that will help next year.

The 7 and 8 grades do need to begin identifying with each other. We hope to take steps in that direction.

I hope the community can see a renewed effort being made for the kids.

This is a great start.  Having the foundations laid is so important to making a program successful.  I know that the Mustangs Football Program helped several young men become successful football players.  I also liked the football leagues that were formed around 2004-2005 that played each other.  This gave the opportunity for a lot of kids to get playing experience and fed the Mustangs (Now Junior Lions) with experienced players.  

Keep up the good work coach, it will pay off down the road. 

On 12/12/2017 at 10:32 AM, WingTguy said:

The County Wide team is not supported the way it should be, just like some middle school teams are not supported.  

Since Cannon has no money to build a new Middle School, lets please move past the idea of a Middle School.  It would cost $15 million plus to build one, I base this off the cost of one being built in RCS.  See reference: http://www.dnj.com/story/news/2016/07/19/board-approves-funding-rocky-fork-ms-construction/87289016/

I figure that a MS in Cannon could probably get done for half as much as RCS.  Plus, you would have to build athletic fields and facilities to go along with this.  This does not include buying the land and finishing the building.  

Enough?

Money would be better spent updating facilities, turf field so all could play on the surface (County teams, Junior leagues, 9th, JV, and Varsity)

Weight Room Coach ( For all sports)

Weight Room addition 

Competitive Salaries for coaches and teachers.

Investment in programs for kids.

Transportation for county wide teams (Football)

Paid Coaches for County Wide Teams. 

Not enough money for a Middle School but enough money to operate 6 K-8 schools three of which are tiny.   What if some of those schools were to be closed, maybe the three smallest ,how much money could be saved over 10 years. People just do not want to change they like it the way it has" always " been  I agree with everyone of your points