Tullahoma vs. Shelbyville 8.16.18

FmrWildcat0306

So Tullahoma lost tonight to Shelbyville 31-13. There was about a 90 minute delay for lightning. Shelbyville pretty much did whatever they wanted to do on offense. Their running back had over 250 yards rushing and their all-state quarterback played like an all-state quarterback. They are just bigger and stronger than Tullahoma and we were totally overmatched. Defensively, Tullahoma started out well, scoring on their first 2 drives but as soon as Shelbyville figured out the offense, it was done from there. Tullahoma only had 2 first downs in the third quarter, threw one interception in the 4th and scored 0 points in the 2nd half. Tullahoma has decent play makers in Ross, Palmer, and Burks, but they are not doing a good job of getting them the ball at all. Also, Tullahoma has a decent RB in Corn, but they must come up with different running plays other than a student body sweep and a read option. Also, the offensive line must protect better. Our QB, Ben Fulton was running for his life back there. Also, he has to learn not to take sacks outside the pocket. If he is outside the tackle box he must learn to throw the ball away. I guess that's all the analysis I have for now.

Edited by FmrWildcat0306
Wrong word

8 hours ago, FmrWildcat0306 said:

So Tullahoma lost tonight to Shelbyville 31-13. There was about a 90 minute delay for lightning. Shelbyville pretty much did whatever they wanted to do on offense. Their running back had over 250 yards rushing and their all-state quarterback played like an all-state quarterback. They are just bigger and stronger than Tullahoma and we were totally overmatched. Defensively, Tullahoma started out well, scoring on their first 2 drives but as soon as Shelbyville figured out the offense, it was done from there. Tullahoma only had 2 first downs in the third quarter, threw one interception in the 4th and scored 0 points in the 2nd half. Tullahoma has decent play makers in Ross, Palmer, and Burks, but they are not doing a good job of getting them the ball at all. Also, Tullahoma has a decent RB in Corn, but they must come up with different running plays other than a student body sweep and a read option. Also, the offensive line must protect better. Our QB, Ben Fulton was running for his life back there. Also, he has to learn not to take sacks outside the pocket. If he is outside the tackle box he must learn to throw the ball away. I guess that's all the analysis I have for now.

I love armchair quarterbacks. Do you realize there is no “tackle box” in high school football? Any ball thrown not in the direction of a WR is Intentional Grounding. Shelbyville is going to be a really good team this year. Tullahoma will be just fine in 4A if they can play them as close as they did. Sounds like the lightning took the wind out of Tullahoma’s sails so to speak. Support the team and coaches and I promise you it will work out better than getting on here and criticizing everything they do.

1 hour ago, wtaylor said:

I love armchair quarterbacks. Do you realize there is no “tackle box” in high school football? Any ball thrown not in the direction of a WR is Intentional Grounding. Shelbyville is going to be a really good team this year. Tullahoma will be just fine in 4A if they can play them as close as they did. Sounds like the lightning took the wind out of Tullahoma’s sails so to speak. Support the team and coaches and I promise you it will work out better than getting on here and criticizing everything they do.

Why you gotta be so upset that I can correctly analyze football? I also played for Tullahoma so, I actually have knowledge about the game. How about you add something intellectual to this conversation instead of trying to call me out on my football prowess? And no, Shelbyville started kicking Tullahoma's #### midway thru the 2nd Q and didn't let up the rest of the night. Maybe you shouldn't try to guess what happened if you weren't at the game like I was. Also 31-13 is not really playing them close in my book, especially if you would have been there to see the gameplay. About the taking sacks, Tullahoma still does not need to take sacks. If you roll the QB out or he scrambles around, there is no excuse to take sacks. Period.

1 hour ago, wtaylor said:

Tullahoma is in a pretty tough region. It may take some work just to qualify for the playoffs.

Both Tullahoma and Shelbyville scored at will in the first quarter, with the Wildcats' Briason Corn carrying half the Golden Eagles' defense into the end zone for a 14-yard TD on the first play of the second quarter to give the 'Cats a 13-10 lead.

Shelbyville responded with a 6-play, 87-yard drive and scored when their RB fumbled the ball into the end zone and the Golden Eagles recovered, taking a 17-13 lead they would not relinquish.

Tullahoma only had six possessions during the final three quarters, ending in missed FG, punt, punt, INT, 4th down try, and INT.

Caleb Marsh was outstanding for Shelbyville at RB, gaining 222 yards on 22 carries. Trammel completed 18-27 for 256 yds and 3 TD. Arius Trice had 10 catches for 133 yds and Burns had 5 for 82 yards and 2 INT.

For the Wildcats, Ben Fulton completed 21-30 for 176 yds and the two picks. Corn gained 108 yards on 23 carries and scored twice, but was held to 18 yards on 10 carries in the second half.

Race Marin caught four for 38 yards and Hunter Palmer 5 for 28.

I was really impressed with two areas that Shelbyville has struggled with in the past - kicking game and tackling. Corley has a powerful leg as the placekicker and Day gets great hang time punting the football. The Golden Eagles hit hard and wrap up when they tackle, much better than they have in recent years. Justin Palmer has got Shelbyville headed in the right direction.

The Wildcats took their lumps in the first start for their junior QB, although he was very accurate. He did take a couple of sacks that he will have to learn to avoid, and the Wildcats need to find more ways to get the ball to Burks, Thomas, Marin and Ross. Their total touches combined was 10. Tullahoma was beaten at the line of scrimmage and could not tackle Marsh right to end, as he rambled for 48 yards on the last play of the game.

Tullahoma will host Coffee County Friday in the 93rd edition of the Coffee Pot series, with kickoff at 7pm at Wilkins Stadium. If you can't make it, or even if you do make it, listen to the broadcast on 101.5 The Rooster or download the free app.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FmrWildcat0306 said:

Why you gotta be so upset that I can correctly analyze football? I also played for Tullahoma so, I actually have knowledge about the game. How about you add something intellectual to this conversation instead of trying to call me out on my football prowess? And no, Shelbyville started kicking Tullahoma's #### midway thru the 2nd Q and didn't let up the rest of the night. Maybe you shouldn't try to guess what happened if you weren't at the game like I was. Also 31-13 is not really playing them close in my book, especially if you would have been there to see the gameplay. About the taking sacks, Tullahoma still does not need to take sacks. If you roll the QB out or he scrambles around, there is no excuse to take sacks. Period.

You are so intellectually astute that you didn’t know there is no protection from intentional grounding if the QB is outside of the pocket? That statement alone let’s me know you watch football on television, but have little knowledge of coaching or high school football rules. All I am saying is Shelbyville is going to be a top tier 5A football team and if Tullahoma can stay within 18 points they will do just fine against 4A competition. I do understand their region is tough, but they will still compete with every team in the region and would be a top tier team in many other 4A regions. I was not at the game, so I can’t analyze. I can state with certainty the QB didn’t throw the ball away because it would have been intentional grounding. I don’t like to see high school kids criticized on an anonymous message board over a rule interpretation that is wrong.

I agree with both sides somewhat.   Shelbyville is a complete team and seems to be stronger then last year.   Tullahoma started out good but made no adjustments as Shelbyville did in the second half with their defense.  Keep in mind it is now a non-regional game so they BOTH may have not used all the playbook yet.   Tullahoma should cover cover Coffee County but tough sledding after that.

10 hours ago, wtaylor said:

You are so intellectually astute that you didn’t know there is no protection from intentional grounding if the QB is outside of the pocket? That statement alone let’s me know you watch football on television, but have little knowledge of coaching or high school football rules. All I am saying is Shelbyville is going to be a top tier 5A football team and if Tullahoma can stay within 18 points they will do just fine against 4A competition. I do understand their region is tough, but they will still compete with every team in the region and would be a top tier team in many other 4A regions. I was not at the game, so I can’t analyze. I can state with certainty the QB didn’t throw the ball away because it would have been intentional grounding. I don’t like to see high school kids criticized on an anonymous message board over a rule interpretation that is wrong.

Can't analyze but u can criticize? If you don't have any stake in the game why does it bother you anyway? And by the way Scott Shasteen pretty much just expounded on everything I said and you didn't chastise him. Thanks for the backup Scott.

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2018 at 10:49 PM, FmrWildcat0306 said:

Can't analyze but u can criticize? If you don't have any stake in the game why does it bother you anyway? And by the way Scott Shasteen pretty much just expounded on everything I said and you didn't chastise him. Thanks for the backup Scott.

I am feeling pretty good about my analysis on this one. The Wildcats have a legit shot at the Region championship. Maplewood will be a tall task in a couple of weeks, but all in all a home playoff game has got to make the Tullahoma faithful happy.