Scott--Coal...West goes for 45pts!!

TheAnswer9

The replay of the Coalfield at Scott High was on Cable Channel 4 this morning. It was a very tight contest before a veteran Lady Highlander team pulled away from a revamped Lady Jacket team by the final score of 68-61!! It was tight a 3-4pt game until the final couple minutes. I know the Scott Lady Highlanders have pretty much everyone back from last season's team while Coalfield is having to replace at least 4 starters. Not a bad job by the Lady Jackets considering. As for Scott Co, the only SR that starts is West, who went for a cool 45pts. That puts her only 180pts away from the school record.

I will probably start a thread on the Scott County and Oneida previews, in shorter print, that I have read from the papers up here.

For Oakdale to win, they will have the 1-2 punch of West and Brandi Nelson. I know Nelson has grown a bit and did score 10pts against Coalfield. It appears that West has gained some speed--losing a little weight and adding a bit of muscle. Of her 45pts, she hit 3 3s and lots of charity tosses. Pressure the point. Casey wants the ball, if possible, deny her the rock!!

Either Coalfield is going to be much, much better than most people (including myself) gave or give them credit for or Scott County isn't going to be as good as many people thought.

As for playing well for Coalfield, I'd have to say Kayla Justice looked pretty good. I know she buried a triple enroute to scoring 11pts. The supporting cast of Kennington went for 9pts, Daugherty--defensively solid--went for 7pts, Mullins--ball runs her blood--went for 5pts, and Woods & Fritts tossed in 3pts apiece.

I believe that Coalfield led by 1pt heading into the 4th period of play. SC jumped out to a 17-12 lead after one only to see Coalfield come back. The Lady Jackets outgunned SC 15-6 in the 2nd to take a 27-23 lead into the half. SC closed to with-in a point at 40-39 heading into the 4th. The 4th was a shoot-out that saw SC pull away from the stripe in the final 2min of play, 68-61.

There was a big stretch in the 3rd and 4th quarters where Coalfield either turned the ball over or forced poor shots and came away empty during 10-12 consecutive trips down the floor. That pretty much let Scott Co. take control of the game. The Lady Jackets had to foul late and the Lady Highlanders converted at the stripe.

Pretty good basketball game, though typical of an early season game with lots of turnovers, mental mistakes, etc.

Casey West WAS impressive.

I though Brittany Mullins played the best game of the Lady Jackets. Casey Jackson didn't have too bad a game as well, but her fifth foul---one of those types that she wishes she could have back---pretty much seemed to seal Coalfield's fate. Amanda Pennington played well in the post at times and is going to get nothing but better! She could well be a MAJOR contributor before this season is out as well as in the future (she is only a soph.).

You could tell that missing last season has Kayla Justice and Mandi Fritts somewhat behind where Carmen probably wishes they were. But it's early and I expect both of them to really come around for this team in the future. I think Coalfield's going to be better than most people think.

You better get them now, 'cause those seven freshmen on the bench are going to make this an even tougher team to beat in the coming years.

Looking forward to seeing how this team bounces back at Catholic tomorrow night.

---rSquared

[Edited by rSquared on 11-25-02 2:01P]