UTM and Jon Morris

Guest dustyf

I don't know if this ever got cleared up or not but I just wanted everyone to know that Jon has not quit the team at UTM, however he will not be with us this year. He is taking the year off, but he is still lifting 3 times a week and is a regular in the Elam Center. He is using his redshirt year, and is not practicing with the team anymore because he wants to be able to go home and see his family everyonce in a while, and the strenous UTM schedule doesn't allow you to do that. Jon will be in the blue and orange next year, but he is not with the team at this time. Jon came in and surprised everyone at UTM and will be a vital part of the program....one day. Jon is a great guy and great player. And man can he leap for a white boy, lol!

And how bout them skyhawks, what an upset friday night. It was awesome! The 8,000 billiken fans were silent, all you could hear was us 10 guys on the bench. We couldn't have gotten off to a better start. Monday night, in the elam center, Miss. valley. We need the support! Thanks

This is true, however Jon's case is different. I believe Jon is having some personal issues (which is none of mine or anyone else's business) and needs to be home on the weekends. He knew he wasn't going to see any pt this year, so this sacrifice just wasn't worth it for the time being. He is redshirting, he is working out on his own(not with the team), and he will be a skyhawks next year. period.

That's believeable, except for one thing...teams usually only practice once on the weekends.

"17.1.5.4 Required Day Off-Playing Season. During the playing season, all countable athletically related activities (per Bylaw 17.02.1) shall be prohibited during one calendar day per week, except during participation in one conference and postseason championship and any postseason certified bowl games or National Invitation Tournaments, and during participation in NCAA championships. (Adopted: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91, Revised: 1/11/94, 1/10/95, 1/9/96)"

The day off is on the weekend, more often than not, so he'd be missing one practice a week most of the time. I think a coach would be willing to let a player, with especially extenuating circumstances like you say Morris has, miss one practice a week.

[Edited by Opperman on 11-24-02 3:50P]

If you want to see our practice schedule then I will gladly email you one, Opperman. You are correct, we must have days off, however the are not always on the weekends. There have been several instances where the day off fell on tues. or thurs. If your trying to impress everyone on your vast knowledge of the collegiate rulebook then congrats to you on that. I'm just trying to let those out there who wanted to know the truth with Jon's situation, what is actually going on. I really don't understand what your argument is anyways. Do you think he's on the team this year, do you not believe he's redshirting? :confused: