Rhea County 2019

On 4/14/2019 at 7:29 PM, RheaCountyDieHard said:

Thoughts on new schedule and lineup..

The schedule is kind of a step back from the 6A heavy schedule the Eagles have played the last couple of years. This schedule will be better for a young team. I wouldn’t call it a “cup cake” schedule but it’s better suited for the talent level the Eagles have fielded the last couple of years. Good to see old rivals Ooltewah back on the schedule as well Red Bank (3A now but still RedBank)  but hate that we don’t play Bradley, Cleveland or McMinn.

Marion should be better this year and Carter and Gibbs are Knoxville teams (Region 2 I think) which always seem to be a task for the Eagles. Carter hasn’t had a lot of success the last few years but has hired Coach Scott Meadows who has a history of improving teams quickly. Tuscola out of North Carolina has a winning tradition and could be tough. 

Glad to see Catholic out of the region and playing where they belong,. I don’t know what to expect from Walker Valley or Lenior City but Soddy keeps getting better each year under Coach Justin Barnes. In my opinion he has done more with less than anyone in the region since he arrived at Soddy.

I personally like the schedule. We got some different teams on it for the next two years. Carter will be an interesting game. As mentioned above Scott Meadows is now the coach and traditionally he has some well prepared teams.

Tuscola in Waynesville, NC is traditionally a good football team year in year out. It will be Tuscola’s first game of the year and a long road trip, hopefully that plays into the eagles favor. 

Region play begins with at Walker Valley. WV has a new coach and will be looking for improvement this year. 

Then the bye week comes and then back to region play with Lenior City the next week. LC gave us a game last year but I believe they graduated some of those guys that kept them in the game with us last year. LC potentially could be good this year just depending on how they developed. 

The next week starts a 3 week road trip. First up Knox Gibbs aka the home high school of Kenny Chesney. I believe I read that Gibbs will have a new HC as well this year. 

Then the first of two familiar rivals at Ooltewah and then at Red Bank. Ooltewah will be a tough match but a good measuring stick to see where we are at as a team. Then on to our old rival Red Bank. This game potentially could be a great game. Red Bank is on the rise from some down years recently and will be a great challenge for us. 

Then we come home for the biggest game on our schedule, our region rival Soddy. You know Coach Barnes will have his team ready and they proved it last year. This game will probably be the region championship game. 

Then back on the road to Karns for hopefully another win. I know the WR that kept them in some games last year is now at Oklahoma State with his brother. 

Then we host Marion Co. to finish the season again a team I look to be improved from last year. I look for us to send the seniors out on a high note. 

There is a lot of unknowns with this team at this point. However, with this schedule we could go anywhere from 10-0 to 5-5. We will probably get a little better idea after May 11th.