14A Toss Up

RealisticFan45

5 minutes ago, RealisticFan45 said:

Can Humboldt make a run? 

Any time you have two posts in the paint over 6’0 and can score that often it is very concerning. We had two battles with them. If they handle the ball well and get some production from their guards they will be extremely dangerous. I think outside of Greenfield it is very open this year and whoever grabs the bull by the horns will get the two spot. We lost Macey Neal and let’s be real. That don’t help us. I still think GC can make a run but we are going to have to be fully engaged every possession on both ends and get some help off of the bench with our young talent. Difference in last years team vs this years is last year we could win ugly games. Not so certain we can win ugly games this year.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RealisticFan45 said:

Humboldt possibly has the best and biggest post tandem in West Tn. I agreed if they get anything from their guards, lookout! I picking them in what really is an upset even though Neal is out.

I hope not. Keep in mind they have to beat Peabody first and we have to beat Madison. Keep in mind GC has played most people straight up since Neal has been out. I expect GC to press a lot more and use more players if needed. I predict Coach Wilkins will pull out all stops moving forward. Humboldt don’t handle pressure well and UC don’t either Wilkins is a defensive coach and won the state with pressure. Think he has played more conservative in regular season than he will in tournaments. Even though GC beat Westview in a slow half court game, think we speed it up and try to get more up tempo. And although GC hasn’t played much of it’s bench, these girls are ready if needed. They have won a ton of games in JV and summer including Riverdale by double digits. We stay healthy from sickness and injury we will be OK.

Edited by pioneer42

Halls played them decent in the first half Tuesday night. 18-15 at half got #55 tired and double teamed her the whole half. I think she managed 4 or 6 points that first half. The second half Halls just got tired and Humboldt capitalized winning the game by about 30.

The guards didn't do much and that is what hurts them. If they can knock down some shots then it may be a different story. I just don't see them beating Peabody with their athleticism. 

12 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

I hope not. Keep in mind they have to beat Peabody first and we have to beat Madison. Keep in mind GC has played most people straight up since Neal has been out. I expect GC to press a lot more and use more players if needed. I predict Coach Wilkins will pull out all stops moving forward. Humboldt don’t handle pressure well and UC don’t either Wilkins is a defensive coach and won the state with pressure. Think he has played more conservative in regular season than he will in tournaments. Even though GC beat Westview in a slow half court game, think we speed it up and try to get more up tempo. And although GC hasn’t played much of it’s bench, these girls are ready if needed. They have won a ton of games in JV and summer including Riverdale by double digits. We stay healthy from sickness and injury we will be OK.

No doubt Wilkins will have them ready. I'm not sure I would say defense won that state championship. I saw 5 players on the floor playing hard and wanting it more, but yea they played well. I just think if put in the right situation with those two giants they can make noise, but i picked GC early on to win that district. I am a Hart sisters fan!

39 minutes ago, Hallsguy said:

Halls played them decent in the first half Tuesday night. 18-15 at half got #55 tired and double teamed her the whole half. I think she managed 4 or 6 points that first half. The second half Halls just got tired and Humboldt capitalized winning the game by about 30.

The guards didn't do much and that is what hurts them. If they can knock down some shots then it may be a different story. I just don't see them beating Peabody with their athleticism. 

Hard double one the coach has to find a way to get the there one going. And yea, i think i stated that their guards arent that good, but are capable of doing enough to help them win. Just making a good discussion

On 2/20/2020 at 10:14 AM, RealisticFan45 said:

Hard double one the coach has to find a way to get the there one going. And yea, i think i stated that their guards arent that good, but are capable of doing enough to help them win. Just making a good discussion

I understand. Just trying to tell you what I thought as well. We will see tonight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hallsguy said:

I understand. Just trying to tell you what I thought as well. We will see tonight. 

Point taken,  no offense taken. Thats why we're here

54 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

So many variables go into basketball now you never truly know that things are just automatic. New England Patriots are one play away from getting eliminated if Brady goes out. Just have to go one day at a time and pray to the good Lord that all stays healthy and battle.

True

6 hours ago, Hallsguy said:

I guess I was wrong. Overtime win by Humboldt. Exciting but sloppy game as well. 

Will be a good test for GC. Humboldt’s big girls are automatic when they get the ball in their hands in the post. Will be good for Hart and Hunt to play these girls before Region Play and the rest of their team. If Humboldt can get some good guard play and make some threes and protect the ball this game could get real interesting. GC will have to dial the pressure knob to the max.

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

Will be a good test for GC. Humboldt’s big girls are automatic when they get the ball in their hands in the post. Will be good for Hart and Hunt to play these girls before Region Play and the rest of their team. If Humboldt can get some good guard play and make some threes and protect the ball this game could get real interesting. GC will have to dial the pressure knob to the max.

Yeah I'm interested to see if Gibson County's press will put Humboldt in a hole early. Humboldt guards struggle with beating Peabody's press Friday night. The two posts for Humboldt are pretty unstoppable if they get it inside though. It will be fun to watch.

Edited by Hallsguy