Coll Heights sends JV to Pick.Co

Guest sherman

Guest sherman

the coach only had 2 starters and 2 var. bench players and the other 3 kids were JV kids he pulled up (only had 7 dressed out).

Said his principle would not allow him to make it mandatory due to Thanksgiving holidays so most of his team was out of town.

If these were jv players, I'd like to see the size of their varsity. They were huge next to Pickett Co. and were laughing at Pickett when Pickett came out from the locker room. When the score was 26-4 Pickett Co. after the first quarter they no longer were laughing. It was 51-11 at the half and the 'Cats had been playing 8 players. The Bobcat JVs played the 2nd half and held their own against the College Heights starters the rest of the way. Then College Heights didn't show for Celina today.

This committment to the team is made before the season. If players would rather be with family, that is terrific. More should be. But, the games were played on Friday and Saturday. Thanksgiving is on Thursday. Most people work or shop on Friday, and neither day is an official holiday. If College Heights couldn't field a team they never should have committed to the tournament and let a school which does honor its word play instead. They should NEVER be invited again.

When a kid is selected to be on a team they should realize that they are going to have to make sacrifices. The games for College Heights were for Friday and Saturday. I am sure the coach like most other coaches probably let his players have wednesday and thursday off as we did. When you are selected to play for a team you have to make sacrifices for the team and if you are not willing to make those sacrifices then you should leave the team. Holidays are a sacred time for families, but if the game is not scheduled for the day of the holiday then they should play. And I know some kids have to go out of town for the holiday but not all of them.

And to Queenbee, I am not trying to start anything with you but if you feel this way you need to tell Smith County and Gordonsville that because as long as I can remember they have played on Thanksgiving weekend. It is good to play your rivalry games on that weekend because a lot of family members that won't get to see a kid play can and old alumni can see their old high school go at it with their biggest rival.

Believe me...I tell them all the time...and will continue to tell them...

Holidays are a time for families, not more playing time...

Thank you, Uppercumberland...for the lesson on holidays...but if I don't get mail...can't go to the bank...that's a holiday...and as far as I can remember...I didn't do either on Thursday...

If you love the sport, you shouldn't care how many days a year it is. If you truly want to play basketball, you'd play all the time if you had to. Of course you want days off and time away from the court to spend with friends and family, but for those who love the sport, they want to play every oppurtunity they can.