Gomab's Team Rankings

CoachT

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gomab, I think you do a very good job with your rankings overall, but I think you got caught up in record while ignoring strength of schedule in how you have some of the Memphis-area teams ranked.

Yes, Munford was 13-2. But they've been exposed, losing to a VERY mediocre Millington team and losing to JCM. Yes, Wooddale was 16-2 or whatever. But they've been exposed, losing 35-22 to Kirby and 60-58 to Millington, both at home. (How do you lose 35-22?!?!?)

Both of these teams ran up gaudy records playing very weak opposition. Munford's schedule is ranked last in the state by win/loss percentage. Wooddale's was ranked 100th of 107. Of course they're gonna have ridiculous winning percentages. Wooddale has only beaten Sheffield and Germantown when it comes to good opponents. Munford's only good wins were Germantown and Ripley, and Ripley also beat them by 21.

Bartlett, as you noted, has played a tough schedule. If they had padded their schedule with Elliston Baptist, Covington, and random other teams like that for all their games insted of playing in the Rumble on the Ridge, playing a very good Fort Thomas Highlands team from Kentucky, playing BA, Hendersonville, and the Kingdom of the Sun tourney...

Bartlett's losses have been:

• 69-57 to a pretty good Jackson (MS) Callaway
  • 60-59 at 12-6 Germantown in overtime
  • 61-55 to the 10-2 about-to-be-#1-team in Northern Kentucky (they were #2 and just beat the #1 by double digits), Fort Thomas Highlands
  • 50-39 to 12-2 Hendersonville
  • 68-41 to a *VERY* good Cincinnati La Salle team, which won the Kingdom of the Sun (all four by double digits) and is ranked #4 in Cincinnati with a record of 13-3, with the three losses to teams that are 30-2 against teams other than each other
  • 51-49 to a 13-3 West Palm Beach Dwyer team that is ranked #8 in Florida (and has all five starters back from a team that went to the semis last year)

Yeah, Bartlett has lost some games. But even with the losses, I think they had established themselves as being better than Munford and Wooddale, despite the record those two ran up on weak teams in smaller classes. We'll see that borne out Tuesday night when Bartlett beats Munford. ;)

[Edited by Opperman on 1-22-03 9:00P]

I agree to an extent Opperman..... but the wins piled up by Wooddale and Munford deserved some respect, even if they won't be there in the end........ The Hendersonville and Germantown losses by Bartlett really surprised me.... Well, it will all sort out in the end, as even now, Munford and Wooddale are dropping...

I didn't see the Germantown game, but from what I remember, they just couldn't hit free throws that game, for whatever reason. I didn't see it, but I think I was told they missed their last six free throws in regulation before losing in OT.

The Hendersonville game, I did see. They're just GOOD, but Bartlett was three-for-24 from three-point range. That's as extreme an off-night as I've seen. Like I said, though, you do a good job. Just a couple of things that have been bugging me for a couple of weeks in the ratings I've seen. The CA still has both of them ahead of Bartlett too, even after the Kirby-Wooddale and Munford-Millington games.

I'm really amazed that with all the basketball experts that have been posting replys in regard to the best H.S. team, not one person has mention the fact that White Station is no longer the power house team it has been over the past 3-4 years. They have a great group of talented kids, but they are not the unbeatable team that some are claiming. Not one person has mention the fact that (FAIRLEY H.S) is the BEST TEAM IN THE MEMPHIS MID-SOUTH AREA ahead of Whitestation and ranked #1 in the city and #5 in the State according to AP..... This team is UNDEFEATED IN THE CITY with victories over Hamilton, Northside, Whitehaven and Melrose. Led by Senior Malando Story and Junior Andrius Loftis with SUPER SOPHOMORES - Reginald Owens, RaShun Cromwell, Lawrence Johnson and Courtney Richardson - this is a team of the present and the future...

Fairley is a great team, ranked #2 in the State in the Gomab Rankings....

I still feel White Station is the best team in not only Memphis, but the whole state.... The schedule White Station has played is amazing, with a loss to a great Ridgeway team (whom they had already beaten by 21) and a loss to undefeated, Top 10 Nationally McQuaid Jesuit, who won the Beachball Classic....

Tell me more about Loftis, the JR at Fairley...he's been putting up some big numbers, and I need info on him for the Player Rankings....

Coach,

I know you missed one in your ranking....

Andrieus Loftis, 6'1

Has one of the best first steps in the city along with Andre Allen. Loftis explodes into the paint with a jump stop and can shoot it over the big guys. He's a pure shooter that can really score. He's one of the top 5 guards in the city in either class.

What about Bradley Central? I believe they're 20-2 now with an unbelievable win over Cleveland High Blue Raiders. When does the new rankings come out from Gomab? And how good is Fairley? Can any teams match-up with them from East Tennessee? I know teams can play with White Station, b/c I know the press and other people give them more credit then deserved. They are good but NOT as good as they are made to be. Just some thoughts from me, what does everyone else think? :confused:

I know Dobyns Bennett was not in your previous Ranking, but you got to have them higher than 16th don't you? Last Monday, D-B was 10th in the AP Poll and they picked up 3 wins this week, 2 on the road. D-B has won 13 straight. What is that, 2nd longest win streak or #1 in the entire state AAA?

Give some votes to East Tn Gomab. You know, I am glad the State Playoff system is set up the way it is. Otherwise, nobody east of Knox would make the Big show. West Tn bias in my opinion. I never get to see West TN B-Ball, but, West Tn don't get to watch East TN B-Ball either, and there are some very good AAA and AA teams here. Come watch the D-B vs Greeneville game in Kingsport Wed. Feb 5 and see for yourself.

Anyway, I do love your WebSite.

Giddy Up!!

Roll Tribe Roll

#14 in a row on Tue @ Sullivan East.