Gomab's Team Rankings

CoachT

I didn't realize how dangerously close certain single A schools are to being classified as double A in non-football sports. Apparently, the maximum enrollment you can have, and still be classified as single A, is 428. Peabody has exactly 428 (whew!) and Summertown has 407. The Summertown enrollment surprised me. I figured their enrollment would be closer to 250. They are a new housing subdivision away from making that jump. Traditional single A power East Robertson has 403. Conversely, the AA / AAA bogey is 990. Schools like Lawrence county (1000 students) and Hickman county (1001 students) would benefit from a few no-shows, if moving down in classification was their goal.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by dirtydawg15:

My prediction is that Cleveland will kill Blount. In my opionon, Cleveland should be #1 in the state on Tuesday. Coach Green always has them playing hard and focused on the task at hand. They have so many players, stop one and the other 4 will break your back. We played with them for 3 quarters, they just dominated us in the final frame.

Alright Dawg,

You better hope you're right. If Blount pulls the upset, I'll be on here Wednesday laying down some of my famous GovMan smack on you.

GovMan

Gomab,

You have Halls #9 and listed as losing 3 in a row. They actually had a win against Crockett Co. in between the Humboldt loss and the Adamsville loss.(the Humboldt and Crockett Co. game was both at the Crockett Co. tournament).

Does the christmas tournament games count as part of their record officially, or is it just a factor in your polls? They only have 2 regular season losses.

and it does count as a regular season game.so haklls is now 8-3 with a three games coming up this week.dyersburg away and usj thursday night and trenton friday night in halls.i guess you know by now.this is part of a big 7 game tough part of the schedule which started with mitchell in december.saturday night,halls looked really sluggish offensively and allowed adamsville to hurt them inside out.whoever gets out of the region tournaments should have a tough battle if adamsville and jcs come out of there.mitchell,trenton,halls and greenfield will be one of the teams i predict that will come out of region 8A that will compete against adamsville and jcs.

And on the flip side of the schools who have 1000 and playing AAA, you have schools with 950 playing AA against schools with that 428 you talked about. I think it was good back in the days of only 2 classifications: Large and Small! Say any school under maybe 750 or so would be small and any over would be large. Because if a school has 750 kids or more to choose from that school should be pretty equal to any school. But I know we will never go back to the two classifications----maybe more but not less.

[Edited by tnwareagle on 1-7-03 11:59A]

Was somebody whining? I think that in any given year, the top 5 single A teams could hang with, if not beat 90% (or more) of the AAA teams. The East Robertson teams of the late 80s and the Perry County team of '97 could have beaten any team in the state, regardless of enrollment. For that matter, Perry county beat the AA state champion Union City at Union City that year. And who can forget the Linden teams of the 50s who won three state championships in a row without the benefit of classification and with an enrollment of about 150 students. Rumor has it that their best team was in 1954, but they didn't manage to win it that year. I say that we expand to 4 classes and play for the REAL state championship after the champion for these classes have been decided. But hey, I'm still hoping for a D1 football playoff. :D

How? There's always gonna be good teams and bad teams, and there is *NO* reason to switch to where we give out FIVE state championships in Tennessee. I could see that in Illinois, Florida, Pennsylvania, Texas, California, New York, Ohio, and Michigan. Tennessee's not that big right now.