Meigs vs McMinn Central

Meeru

1 minute ago, blitzinbuc said:

Personally, I love a grind it out type offense.  Imposing your will on a defense with a long, sustained drive can take the wind out of the other team - figuratively and literally.  I still think Meigs has more big play capability that they've shown, because they've not had to. I bet Coach Fitz addressed the turnovers and penalties today. 

I feel you. I love to see Ben and Key running over defenders and even our QB lays the wood when he takes off. That nearly 50 yard TD run when Smith just ran right over the defender and knocked him for a flip a kept going was something else. 

We got a couple athletes and have some long play capabilities but we just haven't connected that often. Hopefully they keep working on it and make the plays when it counts.

Hopefully they can clean it up with the penalties also. I'm sure coach worked on it but it's been a problem for a couple years. It's the dumb ones that get you frustrated. 

1 hour ago, Tiger2 said:

I agree with you Yeti. Our overall Defense is stout. I was hoping to get more of a challenge from Signal but with them having their senior QB out and replacing him with a freshman put them at a huge disadvantage. I was wanting to see if we improved on our passing D because I don't think many teams are going to run on us for any success.

It's a good thing Marion don't throw it. 

I think what we lack this year is consistent big play capability on offense. If we get penalties or get in 2nd and 3rd and long it's hard to make up that yardage on a solid defense. We got the beef to pick up five yards a pop but when we get get false starts, holding calls, personal fouls and such its hard to overcome.

We are getting the same yards offensively, just taking more plays to get there. But yes penalties seem to hurt us more. I do think you are not seeing how good our pass D is though. We've had multiple interceptions this year and a pick 6 or 2

1 hour ago, Tiger2 said:

I feel you. I love to see Ben and Key running over defenders and even our QB lays the wood when he takes off. That nearly 50 yard TD run when Smith just ran right over the defender and knocked him for a flip a kept going was something else. 

We got a couple athletes and have some long play capabilities but we just haven't connected that often. Hopefully they keep working on it and make the plays when it counts.

Hopefully they can clean it up with the penalties also. I'm sure coach worked on it but it's been a problem for a couple years. It's the dumb ones that get you frustrated. 

1 hour ago, Tiger2 said:

We will utilize passing in hard games Bank on it. Huckaby and Shaver will really help us spread the good teams out when it's time. 

1 hour ago, blitzinbuc said:

Told you all you'd like the new coach and his offense.  He just needs some time to build a program.                                                I was surprised Sweetwater kept it so close against Kingston, but Sweetwater coach Martin is a good motivator.

Sweetwater hasn't been full strength since they played us until Kingston. They are by no means a great team, but at full strength they are good enough to give good teams trouble.

2 hours ago, Tiger2 said:

I agree with you Yeti. Our overall Defense is stout. I was hoping to get more of a challenge from Signal but with them having their senior QB out and replacing him with a freshman put them at a huge disadvantage. I was wanting to see if we improved on our passing D because I don't think many teams are going to run on us for any success.

It's a good thing Marion don't throw it. 

I think what we lack this year is consistent big play capability on offense. If we get penalties or get in 2nd and 3rd and long it's hard to make up that yardage on a solid defense. We got the beef to pick up five yards a pop but when we get get false starts, holding calls, personal fouls and such its hard to overcome.

Same way we are.  I wished we would work on the passing game a little.   It will eventually come back to bite us in week 10 if not before.

11 hours ago, Yeti said:

We will utilize passing in hard games Bank on it. Huckaby and Shaver will really help us spread the good teams out when it's time. 

Counting on utilizing the passing game in the hard games has hurt us in the past. I think its something we need to focus on and work on to be more well rounded. 

I like Carroll and Huckaby alot but I've seen it the last several years with Carroll,Meadows and Huckaby. And with Swafford, Maldonado, Bealer, Hyde, etc.

It's easy to run for 300 yards a game and score 40 plus points a game on most of these teams but when we run into TC and Peabody that's not happening.

When we get to Marion this year and the playoffs and TC or Bledsoe, or Tyner or Marion again I don't see us running for 300 yards and putting up 40 points. I hope I'm wrong.

I just feel to be more efficient in the passing game we should work on it in game situations to build confidence and become more balanced. 

17 minutes ago, Tiger2 said:

Counting on utilizing the passing game in the hard games has hurt us in the past. I think its something we need to focus on and work on to be more well rounded. 

I like Carroll and Huckaby alot but I've seen it the last several years with Carroll,Meadows and Huckaby. And with Swafford, Maldonado, Bealer, Hyde, etc.

It's easy to run for 300 yards a game and score 40 plus points a game on most of these teams but when we run into TC and Peabody that's not happening.

When we get to Marion this year and the playoffs and TC or Bledsoe, or Tyner or Marion again I don't see us running for 300 yards and putting up 40 points. I hope I'm wrong.

I just feel to be more efficient in the passing game we should work on it in game situations to build confidence and become more balanced. 

If I remember correctly, you’ve always been one to complain about the offense. And yet, we’ve beat TC the last two years without slinging it around the yard. I promise you it’s okay to win by 40 if we’re only throwing it 10 times a game. 

Im in agreement with you 100 % on the passing comment, I feel guilty saying that as I believe the coaches do a great job and have got us to the big game back to back years. The 2018 game against Trousdale was probably the best passing team weve had until this years team. We never showed much of it that season though until the Trousdale game. This player here is a game changer when utilized.

Just now, Yeti said:

Im in agreement with you 100 % on the passing comment, I feel guilty saying that as I believe the coaches do a great job and have got us to the big game back to back years. The 2018 game against Trousdale was probably the best passing team weve had until this years team. We never showed much of it that season though until the Trousdale game. This player here is a game changer when utilized.

Its worth noting he broke his foot this play and missed the championship game the next week. would have been nice to have him that game.

1 hour ago, ElGoat said:

If I remember correctly, you’ve always been one to complain about the offense. And yet, we’ve beat TC the last two years without slinging it around the yard. I promise you it’s okay to win by 40 if we’re only throwing it 10 times a game. 

I agree with you on that as well goat. I just dont recall us having such talent at those positions and just wish i seen them get more touches personally. I personally love our offensive playcalling and DO believe when the time is right all this talent we have hidden mostly will get to show out.

Edited by Yeti

34 minutes ago, ElGoat said:

I'm just a big fan and hope they bring home their first title. 

I love watching the kids play and they give it their all. 

Both those TC games your referring to was a coin toss if you remember. We won last year by a field goal. When was the last time we actually made a field goal. That game was the first one I remember hitting one in forever. Then TC missed a 2 point conversion or it would have been a different story and the year before it was 22 to 20 and we came up huge with a big 2 point conversion stop to seal it.

I just believe if our Tigers were more balanced they would be harder to defend. That's why we have trouble with Peabody. The teams we struggle with are balanced or throw it. 

Even TC last year. We were wearing them out the first three quarters when all they was doing was running then I believe they had over 150 yards passing and a couple scores in the 4th quarter and had the ball with a minute and a half to go to win the game.  Thankfully our D got it together.

It's just my opinion. I dont have a dog in the race. I'm cheering for them all and hope they bring home Meigs first Football title.

1 hour ago, Tiger2 said:

I'm just a big fan and hope they bring home their first title. 

I love watching the kids play and they give it their all. 

Both those TC games your referring to was a coin toss if you remember. We won last year by a field goal. When was the last time we actually made a field goal. That game was the first one I remember hitting one in forever. Then TC missed a 2 point conversion or it would have been a different story and the year before it was 22 to 20 and we came up huge with a big 2 point conversion stop to seal it.

I just believe if our Tigers were more balanced they would be harder to defend. That's why we have trouble with Peabody. The teams we struggle with are balanced or throw it. 

Even TC last year. We were wearing them out the first three quarters when all they was doing was running then I believe they had over 150 yards passing and a couple scores in the 4th quarter and had the ball with a minute and a half to go to win the game.  Thankfully our D got it together.

It's just my opinion. I dont have a dog in the race. I'm cheering for them all and hope they bring home Meigs first Football title.

There's no harm in voicing an opinion we all have them. I'm just glad to have another poster for Meigs on besides myself. If it wasn't for you and goat most of the time it would just be me on here. Good to see more fans on here.