ACL TEARS????

Guest SoFtBaLLsTar06

I've also read about the "cycle" theory. I didn't mention it because it would have made me live up to my username. I would have turned "pink" with embarrassment. No one can see me, however, so why should I be embarrassed? I know a girl who can prove that tearing one ACL probably means that the other one will tear. She tore one playing softball in high school. I, unfortunately, was involved in her tearing the second one. We bumped into each other while playing a game of pick-up basketball. We didn't hit hard, but her ACL snapped. I still feel bad about it to this day. We still play ball together occasionally, but I'm very careful not to bump into her.

[Edited by pinkpanther on 12-3-02 9:58P]

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SoFtBaLLsTar06

I dont remember her name but i know its not amy beavers its something like mandy or something i have no idea but she is their senior point guard an she had her one acl torn and recovered then she tore her other acl i heard like last week is this true???

thanks whoever said they hope i recover quickly or whatever ~ i hope i do too my dad wants 3 months but i dunno but im going to other doctors and stuff to see what they can do for me

I have read articles on the menstrual cycles being related and from what I can remember that theory has not proven to be true but it is a fact females are twice as susceptible to this as are male athletes to have a ACL injury.One theory that I have come to beleive in is that we have had women athletes for as long as I can remember but with today's emphasis on strength and conditioning, with the increased muscle mass of women and the loss of flexibility

this rigidity is thought to be a cause.How many girls do you know who tore ACL's that weren't strength training???

once again, there are many theories debated amongst professionals...and are there is the "Q angle", a deviation from 0 degrees that is more pronounced in women, there are hamstring strength/power issues, quadricep to hamstring strength ratios, menstrual issues, proprioception("balance") issues, also fatigue may cause a slight delay in muscle reaction. BTW, I am a Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC).

Actually, a new study conducted by researchers from the American Academy of Orthpaedic Surgeons in California concluded that the reason women suffer ACL injuries far more than men is the way they run. Apparently, when women run, they rely more on the quadriceps and muscles surrounding the patella than the hamstrings, which is usually what men rely on when they sprint.

The reason for this is based in the posture women use when running. Men usually run in a crouched position, while women tend to remain vertical.

You can read further about this at the following link:

http://www.jsonline.com/alive/sports/jun99/running060799.asp