Programs Down/Coaches

901Hoops850

When i look around the state at the records of some of the top programs in the state, you have to wonder how they have fallen. I know that there have been coaching changes at some places, but some programs are WAY DOWN! 

Does it come down to making the wrong hire? Or are there bigger issues within the program?

4A

• Riverdale (6-15) in state tournament 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
  • Houston (6-11) - in state tournament 2014, 2017, 2018, and 2019
  • Maryville (6-17) - in state tournament in 2020 and 2021
  • Mt. Juliet (3-15) - in state tournament 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2018, and 2019

3A

• Macon County (3-25) in state tournament 2011, 2013, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
  • Dyersburg (0-11) - in state tournament 2014

1 hour ago, 901Hoops850 said:

When i look around the state at the records of some of the top programs in the state, you have to wonder how they have fallen. I know that there have been coaching changes at some places, but some programs are WAY DOWN! 

Does it come down to making the wrong hire? Or are there bigger issues within the program?

4A

• Riverdale (6-15) in state tournament 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
  • Houston (6-11) - in state tournament 2014, 2017, 2018, and 2019
  • Maryville (6-17) - in state tournament in 2020 and 2021
  • Mt. Juliet (3-15) - in state tournament 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2018, and 2019

3A

• Macon County (3-25) in state tournament 2011, 2013, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
  • Dyersburg (0-11) - in state tournament 2014

Dyersburg you better get them now because they will be loaded next year and they have a coach that is a workaholic. Macon County will be good I would bet in 2024. Riverdale word on here is they lost their feeder school to zoning. Jackson County is the one that is a head scratcher. They are well coached. I will say this. Some coaches it is more of a job than a passion. I want a coach that wants to be in the gym 7 days a week and is crazy about the game. Some coaches won’t make up games on Saturday Night and do as little as possible and you can see it on the court yet they still survive. I want a coach that had rather be in the gym than on the beech except on dead period. 

Edited by pioneer42
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, 901Hoops850 said:

Riverdale losing feeder schools or no more Hayes girls? 

I used to live a mile from Riverdale HS and sold real estate there for about 12 years and zoning was crazy to keep up with. Somebody on here said a month or so ago they lost Rockvale Middle I want to say. Got to be some Riverdale Fans on here that know the scoop. Riverdale was dominant in football when I lived there and that changed. They used to have Rankin as well back in them days. I would like to know what is going on myself at Riverdale. We played Shelbyville who we all know was a powerhouse back in the day during Christmas and they looked to be well coached. 

Macon Graduated it’s entire team over the last 2 years and has 9 freshman. They play a brutal District and out of District Schedule. They have legitimately played a top 10 schedule and played multiple State Tournament contenders. It’s hard to win with little talent and experience. It’s going to be a rough 3 years. If anything they over achieved in 2017 2018 and 2021. 

You left out Stone Memorial and Jackson County which has completely went off the radar. 

Edited by Khall555

2 hours ago, 901Hoops850 said:

Doesn't Blackman have a new coach? Undefeated?

Shelby County is a mess. I know that doesn't come as a surprise. Bartlett and Arlington both have former Houston kids. Memphis city kids have bounced around since COVID. With Memphis city schools not playing last season, that hurt this years product. 

Don’t get me started on Shelby County. I was having a pretty good day. West TN is down this year as a whole too. Will be better next year I believe in some aspects. More bad teams than there are good. South Gibson and South Side have fought with a 3 team District. I am proud of the schedule we had and how it was made.

Changing of the guard in suburban Memphis with Bartlett (Wes Shappley) really taking off. Arlington is close behind, though they beat split with Bartlett. Houston is a huge mess. Collierville is competitive (beat Arlington tonight). I think that Bartlett is as talented as anyone in the state, if they can come together at the right time. Arlington can give anyone trouble with their pressure. 

I am curious how 4A shakes out.

Dyersburg is actually 6-18. That goose egg just looks horrible up there. But don’t sleep in those girls. They have a very young team and Coach Strayhorn is having to rebuild the program. This season’s roster has no seniors and only 3 juniors as well. This team will return all players next season. The also have one of the best freshman in the entire state. Just watch what this team is going to do real soon. 

21 minutes ago, ballmom21 said:

Dyersburg is actually 6-18. That goose egg just looks horrible up there. But don’t sleep in those girls. They have a very young team and Coach Strayhorn is having to rebuild the program. This season’s roster has no seniors and only 3 juniors as well. This team will return all players next season. The also have one of the best freshman in the entire state. Just watch what this team is going to do real soon. 

Dyersburg is in good shape. Strayhorn is a gym rat and will work them big time. Jr High is really good and he has a couple that are waiting to get elgible. 

Edited by pioneer42

49 minutes ago, 901Hoops850 said:

Changing of the guard in suburban Memphis with Bartlett (Wes Shappley) really taking off. Arlington is close behind, though they beat split with Bartlett. Houston is a huge mess. Collierville is competitive (beat Arlington tonight). I think that Bartlett is as talented as anyone in the state, if they can come together at the right time. Arlington can give anyone trouble with their pressure. 

I am curious how 4A shakes out.

Gibson County matched up good with Bartlett. Bartlett is talented I agree but they could have better chemistry, IMO. 

7 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

South Gibson and South Side have fought with a 3 team District.

Yep. Both good programs.

Chatter from within the locker rooms is they both can make it to the dance.

SS is betting that SG can beat Creekwood. When they do, there will be 2, top 10 ranked teams from a 3 team district in the tourney.

#HawkNation

#HereComesTheCloser