Polk 2022

Polk04

On 6/23/2022 at 2:06 PM, Charger64 said:

Alcoa---Now that is a reach.....They played CAK close many moons ago....when Polk had one their really good teams and DD had a great game-plan to give the Wildcats a fighting chance.

In any case, not re-hiring Coach would set just be a vindictive action by the Director of Schools and School Board. What has Polk County done without Larry or Derrick Davis.....? Coach is Red and Blue all the way.....Who are they going to hire that is better? When DD has had good and even average players, he is going to be competitive. It is small rural high school football, it has its ups and downs. Coach has had a lot more ups than downs. Got a great place to play, wonderful atmosphere for Friday Night football....For all that is holy, bring the "stach" back to the home sidelines at Larry Davis Stadium 

Go back and look at the record during a 3 year stretch.  If I recall, it was around 2008 to 2010.  
When I get back in town I will make point.

Edited by rlh

16 hours ago, Blaster7 said:

Not sure who he'll have running the offense. I know he'll be running the defense of course. I know when he was at Central he threw more then I ever seen lol. Guess depends on the talent he has which from what I seen last year there's some talent there for sure. Go Polk!!!

Well you got the stache back, best of luck to him this go around! Will definitely need to revamp the offense. 

On 6/25/2022 at 8:11 AM, rlh said:

Go back and look at the record during a 3 year stretch.  If I recall, it was around 2008 to 2010.  
When I get back in town I will make point.

I looked back the last 20 years and didn't see where Polk had ever played Alcoa. I found where they lost to CAK twice. Maybe I overlooked the Alcoa game you implied they played.   

1 hour ago, blitzinbuc said:

I looked back the last 20 years and didn't see where Polk had ever played Alcoa. I found where they lost to CAK twice. Maybe I overlooked the Alcoa game you implied they played.   

Those CAK games the lost especially the close year, CAK beat Alcoa twice that year in route to the 2010 State Title. Polk was the only public school in that class in the east they could stay on the field with them.  Signal Mtn was hiding out in 2A with 4A numbers.  Polk also hammered a very fast and physical SP Pirate team that year that went on to the 1A title.  The only other game SP lost that year was a 40-36 game against eventual 2A state champion Signal Mtn.  The 2009 State Runner up SP team lost 34 - 28 at home to Polk. That beat Signal Mtn in 2011 and hammered another SP 1a runner-up team.  That made it 3 years in a row against State Champ and runner up SP teams. Those were some very good teams Davis had going during that stretch and that was my point.  He did it without a Blount County/Knox County urban pipeline.

Edited by rlh
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, rlh said:

Those CAK games the lost especially the close year, CAK beat Alcoa twice that year in route to the 2010 State Title. Polk was the only public school in that class in the east they could stay on the field with them.  Signal Mtn was hiding out in 2A with 4A numbers.  Polk also hammered a very fast and physical SP Pirate team that year that went on to the 1A title.  The only other game SP lost that year was a 40-36 game against eventual 2A state champion Signal Mtn.  The 2009 State Runner up SP team lost 34 - 28 at home to Polk. That beat Signal Mtn in 2011 and hammered another SP 1a runner-up team.  That made it 3 years in a row against State Champ and runner up SP teams. Those were some very good teams Davis had going during that stretch and that was my point.  He did it without a Blount County/Knox County urban pipeline.

Polk had a great run that is for certain.

Most important thing in thread is to celebrate Derrick Davis return to his beloved Polk County!!!

Welcome back DD!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/27/2022 at 2:22 PM, rlh said:

Sometimes our team fandom makes us embellish stories, contrary to facts:  In 2009 Polk had their best team, going undefeated during the season, but lost in the second round to Loudon 24-13. Loudon lost in the third round to Alcoa 21-3.  In 2010 Polk went 10-1, losing in the second round to CAK. CAK lost to Alcoa in the third round 14-3.  (Also, CAK lost to Alcoa during the season 50-33). In 2011 Polk lost in the second round to CAK, 35-13. CAK beat an 8-5 Alcoa team 38-37 in overtime in the third round.   Now, going back to what you said earlier, " When's the last time Polk Co had a coach to field teams that could stay on the field with CAK and Alcoa?"  From the facts I just gave you, Polk had ONE game where they kept it respectable against CAK.  So, the answer to your question is 'they really never have'.    By the way, this isn't a knock against DD or the Polk program - it's just the facts.

1 hour ago, blitzinbuc said:

Sometimes our team fandom makes us embellish stories, contrary to facts:  In 2009 Polk had their best team, going undefeated during the season, but lost in the second round to Loudon 24-13. Loudon lost in the third round to Alcoa 21-3.  In 2010 Polk went 10-1, losing in the second round to CAK. CAK lost to Alcoa in the third round 14-3.  (Also, CAK lost to Alcoa during the season 50-33). In 2011 Polk lost in the second round to CAK, 35-13. CAK beat an 8-5 Alcoa team 38-37 in overtime in the third round.   Now, going back to what you said earlier, " When's the last time Polk Co had a coach to field teams that could stay on the field with CAK and Alcoa?"  From the facts I just gave you, Polk had ONE game where they kept it respectable against CAK.  So, the answer to your question is 'they really never have'.    By the way, this isn't a knock against DD or the Polk program - it's just the facts.

I guess you don't realize that I am hardly a Polk County Wildkitten fandom.  Furthermore, stay on the field, wasn't implying beating Alcoa.  CAK pulled off back to back 3a titles & 3 -1 against Alcoa.  However, both were urban open enrollment schools and Polk a rural school.  Just the facts.

1 hour ago, rlh said:

I guess you don't realize that I am hardly a Polk County Wildkitten fandom.  Furthermore, stay on the field, wasn't implying beating Alcoa.  CAK pulled off back to back 3a titles & 3 -1 against Alcoa.  However, both were urban open enrollment schools and Polk a rural school.  Just the facts.

Whether you're a fan or not, you were posting false information. Probably unintentional, but false nonetheless, and I merely gave you the facts. We were discussing Polk's three glory years of 2009-2010-2011 - as you had mentioned to Charger64 as being a team "that could stay on the field with CAK and Alcoa".  If you now want to add the additional year of 2012 for discussion, that's fine but it doesn't relate to what happened during those three great years that Polk had. Yes, CAK did win the state in 2011 and 2012 (I saw some of their games those two years), and CAK may have gone 3-1 against Alcoa those two years - but I'm still failing to see your point? 

Edited by blitzinbuc

47 minutes ago, blitzinbuc said:

Whether you're a fan or not, you were posting false information. Probably unintentional, but false nonetheless, and I merely gave you the facts. We were discussing Polk's three glory years of 2009-2010-2011 - as you had mentioned to Charger64 as being a team "that could stay on the field with CAK and Alcoa".  If you now want to add the additional year of 2012 for discussion, that's fine but it doesn't relate to what happened during those three great years that Polk had. Yes, CAK did win the state in 2011 and 2012 (I saw some of their games those two years), and CAK may have gone 3-1 against Alcoa those two years - but I'm still failing to see your point? 

I said they could compete during that stretch which isn't false.  It may be a difference of opinion than yours.  Look at how poorly other playoff teams competed with CAK and Alcoa in that stretch.  I think Polk could have one a 2a title during that stretch and maybe a deeper run in 4a. 

11 hours ago, rlh said:

I said they could compete during that stretch which isn't false.  It may be a difference of opinion than yours.  Look at how poorly other playoff teams competed with CAK and Alcoa in that stretch.  I think Polk could have one a 2a title during that stretch and maybe a deeper run in 4a. 

If Polk was 2a in that stretch they win a couple states I highly believe that. Not knocking the teams that won State in 2a but seeing them in person I highly believe Polk wins state those few years. And all us in Polk wanted to see ehow we stacked up against Alcoa in 09 and 10 for sure but it's a what if. 

Edited by Blaster7
  • Upvote 1

On 6/29/2022 at 9:46 AM, Blaster7 said:

If Polk was 2a in that stretch they win a couple states I highly believe that. Not knocking the teams that won State in 2a but seeing them in person I highly believe Polk wins state those few years. And all us in Polk wanted to see ehow we stacked up against Alcoa in 09 and 10 for sure but it's a what if. 

2009 Alcoa was 15-0 Beat Milan 21-0 in the Championship Game, Polk lost to Loudon in Round 2  24-13, Alcoa beat Loudon in the quarters 21-3.

2010 Alcoa was 15-0 Beat Goodpasture 56-14 in the Championship Game, Polk lost to CAK 28-21 in the quarters, Alcoa beat CAK 21-3 in the semi-finals.