Mcminn Central Chargers vs Mcminn County Cherokees

RichyRich

1 hour ago, logcabinman said:

It was 93, Wild did a marvelous job of getting boys on the football field, and he had a monster staff helping him.  Mike Newton  was the defensive coordinator and they ran the veer offensively.  

I'll hold to my thoughts though.  If Central's defense can get to Miller and put him on the ground, they can be successful, if not he will beat you in the open field.  To me this is the difference.  This and win the turnover game.  Still going to be a tough task in my opionion.  McMinn offense will be better than any team MC has faced in the pre-season.

Great points! If you look even at the last time Central won, without a huge number of turnovers it wouldn't have happened. This is a lot tougher task than people are realizing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, logcabinman said:

It was 93, Wild did a marvelous job of getting boys on the football field, and he had a monster staff helping him.  Mike Newton  was the defensive coordinator and they ran the veer offensively.  

I'll hold to my thoughts though.  If Central's defense can get to Miller and put him on the ground, they can be successful, if not he will beat you in the open field.  To me this is the difference.  This and win the turnover game.  Still going to be a tough task in my opionion.  McMinn offense will be better than any team MC has faced in the pre-season.

Of course Marty Wild did a marvelous job - he's a Cocke County guy!  

22 minutes ago, blitzinbuc said:

Of course Marty Wild did a marvelous job - he's a Cocke County guy!  

He was a good one.  That ended up being a special year.  Springfield was a new school in its second year.  Saturn had just started up and they were a bigger school, but still in AA classification.  I think Central would have gotten a State Championship if this had not of happened.

9 minutes ago, logcabinman said:

He was a good one.  That ended up being a special year.  Springfield was a new school in its second year.  Saturn had just started up and they were a bigger school, but still in AA classification.  I think Central would have gotten a State Championship if this had not of happened.

If I remember correctly Central lost 3 or 4 of their first few games that year, then went on a winning streak that continued once they got into the playoffs.