Covington @ Ripley week 5

CHARGERFAN

The Commercial Appeal predicts a close game, per this article:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/09/14/memphis-high-school-football-predictions-week-5-germantown-bartlett/8038165001/

Here is the part on the Covington - Ripley game:

Covington (3-1, 1-0 Region 7-3A) at Ripley (3-1, 1-0) 

When: 7 p.m., Friday

Skylan Smith and Jamarion Dowell have combined for 883 yards and 17 touchdowns the last three weeks. Though Ripley poses an equal threat in the run game, Covington is hitting its stride. Its backfield duo has too much to slow down.

Wynston’s pick: Covington 35, Ripley 30 

I think that Covington will score some points in this one.

The real key is whether the Charger defense can keep Ripley out of the end zone. Ripley has had a good rushing attack the last couple of years, and has shown some passing game at times.  Covington's D pitched a shutout vs. Northside and Millington, but did give up 6 last week to Brighton. 

Edited by CHARGERFAN

9 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

The Commercial Appeal predicts a close game, per this article:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/09/14/memphis-high-school-football-predictions-week-5-germantown-bartlett/8038165001/

Here is the part on the Covington - Ripley game:

Covington (3-1, 1-0 Region 7-3A) at Ripley (3-1, 1-0) 

When: 7 p.m., Friday

Skylan Smith and Jamarion Dowell have combined for 883 yards and 17 touchdowns the last three weeks. Though Ripley poses an equal threat in the run game, Covington is hitting its stride. Its backfield duo has too much to slow down.

Wynston’s pick: Covington 35, Ripley 30 

I think that Covington will score some points in this one.

The real key is whether the Charger defense can keep Ripley out of the end zone. Ripley has had a good rushing attack the last couple of years, and has shown some passing game at times.  Covington's D pitched a shutout vs. Northside and Millington, but did give up 6 last week to Brighton. 

Ripley really likes trying to use the attack of that big running back they have, in week 2 of the season we really contained him well and that had a lot to do with us being able to disrupt there game plan 

2 minutes ago, Cavaliers9814 said:

Ripley really likes trying to use the attack of that big running back they have, in week 2 of the season we really contained him well and that had a lot to do with us being able to disrupt there game plan 

I thought going into the season that the Covington defense was going to be very strong, but the Sharp running back for Munford really gashed our D in the opening game. Since then, the defense has only given up 6 points in three games. Now those three teams had lots of issues, so I will be watching closely to see how a better team like Ripley is able to move the ball.

1 minute ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I thought going into the season that the Covington defense was going to be very strong, but the Sharp running back for Munford really gashed our D in the opening game. Since then, the defense has only given up 6 points in three games. Now those three teams had lots of issues, so I will be watching closely to see how a better team like Ripley is able to move the ball.

Yeah I was really surprised whenever I saw the Mumford stats, but not taking anything away from them this year they are really good! Y’all are usually big and fast on the defense I think if y’all stop the run y’all will make it a very long night for ripley  a good region win for y’all. 

The Jackson Sun has this to say about the matchup:

https://www.jacksonsun.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/09/14/tennessee-high-school-football-jackson-predictions-top-games-week-5/7989308001/

Covington (3-1, 0-0 Region 7-3A) at Ripley (3-1, 1-0)

When: 7 p.m., Friday.

Ripley got much more than it could handle from North Side, only winning that game 8-0.

Those sort of offensive struggles don't bode well for the Tigers as they host a traditional Class 3A power in Covington. The Chargers have outscored their last three opponents 134-6.

Prediction: Covington 38, Ripley 7

(My comment: The Sun is wrong on the 0-0 region record for Covington. Both teams are 1-0 in the Region)

Edited by CHARGERFAN