Really worried about our bye week. RWR

TremblingCat

6 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

It goes all the way back to the Secret City. There was a fence around the city from 43-48 and no one without an OR gov't idea could come in.  So Ridgers could come and go.  Outsiders not allowed in.  So when Ridger's went over to Ktown with a pocket full of money, people got curious about what was going on out there and they weren't allowed in.  Don't forget there were lots of goods and services (if you know what I mean) brought into OR to keep the workers happy and entertained.  All of this secrecy and curiosity lead to resentment and even jealousy from surrounding areas.  Plus you add in the 80 years of consistent overall atheletic program excellence and BOOM Big stick!  There you have it.  Haters!  It certainly didn't happen over night.  That's my 2 cent worf

As a long-time Knox County resident, I think the long-term success of their athletic programs has a lot to do with it. Everyone loves to hate perennial winners.

22 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

As a long-time Knox County resident, I think the long-term success of their athletic programs has a lot to do with it. Everyone loves to hate perennial winners.

There’s probably some truth to that, along with our history of academic excellence. And unfortunately with all those accolades you get the boasters in our city and fan base, along with high mindedness (those who look down their nose’s at surrounding areas) out of some, which usually stirs up resentment, etc. Not saying any of our fans on here are that way, but trust me, they exist.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Yeah no question about that.  It's like UT hoop fans pulling for whoever plays UK, or UT football fans pulling for whoever Bama, Fla. or Ga. play.