Pretty solid job for a "little league coach"

HTV

On 10/7/2022 at 9:00 AM, Heisenberg said:

If parents and players want to explore their options or find the right fit/opportunity for their child, then why would you want to stop that?  If a family follows the rules to get their kid a transfer then I have no problem with it.  That is just part of it. I am all for community and doing things the right way.  If there is actual evidence of "cheating" sent to TSSAA, then they will do something about it, but the onus is on the plaintiff to prove the "cheating". 

I’m not sure we’re talking about the same thing. If you and your child decide he or she is best suited to a certain high school and go through the process of getting a transfer, that’s one thing. If, however, that decision is reached because a coach (or, has been suggested previously on this thread, an agent of his) suggests the move, entices, encourages, and provides guidance through the process, that’s a different thing altogether. 

I would be very dubious of a move from, say, Austin East or Carter to Bearden, or from Hardin Valley or Farragut to Powell, or from South Doyle to Fulton or vice versa. Neighboring school districts are easier to understand since Knox Co is forever shifting district lines. 

Edited by Cletus

On 10/7/2022 at 11:16 AM, HTV said:

In a perfect world you are correct.  

But with social media and the pressure coaches have in this day to win big, and win big now, that's not reality.  

I’m not sure why social media would make  recruiting more expected and accepted if, as a coach, you aren’t looking to circumvent the rules. Certainly it makes it easier for unscrupulous characters, whether that be a coach or a predator of any sort, but does that mean we just blithely accept it?

Call me naive but i’d be shocked if most coaches follow kids in red-flag-raising fashion on their social media accounts.

As for the pressure coaches are under and that being the excuse for breaking the rules, who was the last Knox County coach to be fired? Regrettably, much has filtered down from the college game, but this notion that high school coaches are under greater pressure than years ago — as they are arguably at the college level — is a fallacy in my opinion. External pressure comes with a big paycheck. Nobody’s getting that in TN public schools, certainly not in Knox Co.

38 minutes ago, Cletus said:

I’m not sure why social media would make  recruiting more expected and accepted if, as a coach, you aren’t looking to circumvent the rules. Certainly it makes it easier for unscrupulous characters, whether that be a coach or a predator of any sort, but does that mean we just blithely accept it?

Call me naive but i’d be shocked if most coaches follow kids in red-flag-raising fashion on their social media accounts.

As for the pressure coaches are under and that being the excuse for breaking the rules, who was the last Knox County coach to be fired? Regrettably, much has filtered down from the college game, but this notion that high school coaches are under greater pressure than years ago — as they are arguably at the college level — is a fallacy in my opinion. External pressure comes with a big paycheck. Nobody’s getting that in TN public schools, certainly not in Knox Co.

Agree to disagree.  

Just ask coaches how social media has changed the landscape. 

• Like 1