Some East TN teams observations

FormerMav

Now that we're 8 games into the season there's some trends and trajectories we can see developing.  I know I included some 5/6 a teams in here but they're area teams that many of us have played. 

Let's talk about Daniel Boone. Through 7 games they've given up 5 touchdowns. That's it.  Sure they can score,  maybe not as prolific as some other teams but they can definitely put points on the board.  With that defense they don't need to score a lot. The can score 1 TD and it's enough to win.  How deep of a run do they make? This has a bit of a 'feel good story' to it IMO. 

Elizabethton is getting better each week.  I think we can all agree this is not the same team that started 0-3 scoring only 7 points total in 3 losses.  Arguably those 3 losses were against really good competition in SH, GV and Daniel Boone (who we now know has a really good defense). Since then they are 3-1 and have scored 34, 35, 47 and 55 points.  Sure, with the exception of AC the competition wasn't as strong but they are clearly on the upswing.  

The demise of the green devil has been grossly misrepresented.  They've had 4 shutouts and 2 close games, which they've won both.  Oak Ridge has some athletes and speed, and the green devils put a running clock on them.  Greenville is still Greenville.  

AC is a little harder to figure.  I've been to a few games this year.  They have some athletes at every position,  but not every position if that makes sense. Great running game and backs.  Prolific passing ability with several deep threats. Defense is improved but still susceptible to a big play.  That's just high school football I guess.  Overall they're good but not the best AC team I've ever seen.  The team that lost a close one to GV a few years ago at GV with the older Noe and Moog was terrific. Literally any other year and that team wins it all, no questions asked. It just happened in a year where GV was probably the best they had ever been.  I'm not saying AC can't win it this year but they need to be more consistent.  To their credit  they found a way to win against a resurgent Elizabethton and a scrappy Rhea county team.  To me,  AC is the wild card this year. 

Clinton,  despite all the talk,  is only marginally better.  

OR is devastated by injuries but I don't think it really matters.  They're mid pack at best if healthily. 

West is a beast.  Don't know what else to say here. If they're clicking on all cylinders I can't think of a team that could beat them.  

Maryville is down a bit,  maybe?  Until it happens over the course of 2 or 3 seasons it is an anomaly.  They're still a really good football team with really high expectations that are hard to live up to.  

The poor Halls red devils are bad this year,  worse than anyone thought they'd be.  

Powell is back down to earth this year. With Potts at qb they have a chance to win any game but they're not the same team from a year ago. They're good,  but not great.  

Thoughts?  Who'd I leave out? 

Edited by FormerMav

7 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

Thoroughly enjoyed your thoughts on paper. I was trying to disagree in my brain, but I could not find any noteworthy flaw in your comments. I would like you to comment on Kingsport D-B. My wild card for  the 6A state championship game.

I'd agree they are to 6a what Ac is to 4a. This could be the year they catch Maryville but like AC vs GV, until you actually do it.... That close loss to GV, where you definitely had chances to win would give me a lot of confidence.  Yes,  I know they're 4a but a great team is a great team.  No one would snub thier nose if they beat Alcoa and say 'that's just a 3a team.' 

Oakland looks really good from what little I've seen but if DB made the semis or the finals I wouldn't be surprised.  I'd be mildly surprised if they win it all though.  I know we all make everything about that gold ball but in the end it's  high school kids.  Having a good season,  maturing, learning how to operate as part of a team and most important,  having FUN, should be enough.  That's all I'd ask for.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, FormerMav said:

I'd agree they are to 6a what Ac is to 4a. This could be the year they catch Maryville but like AC vs GV, until you actually do it.... That close loss to GV, where you definitely had chances to win would give me a lot of confidence.  Yes,  I know they're 4a but a great team is a great team.  No one would snub thier nose if they beat Alcoa and say 'that's just a 3a team.' 

Oakland looks really good from what little I've seen but if DB made the semis or the finals I wouldn't be surprised.  I'd be mildly surprised if they win it all though.  I know we all make everything about that gold ball but in the end it's  high school kids.  Having a good season,  maturing, learning how to operate as part of a team and most important,  having FUN, should be enough.  That's all I'd ask for.  

Thanks, could be a welcomed weekly column for those of us who enjoy the game, but are not FANatics.

40 minutes ago, FormerMav said:

Now that we're 8 games into the season there's some trends and trajectories we can see developing.  I know I included some 5/6 a teams in here but they're area teams that many of us have played. 

Let's talk about Daniel Boone. Through 7 games they've given up 5 touchdowns. That's it.  Sure they can score,  maybe not as prolific as some other teams but they can definitely put points on the board.  With that defense they don't need to score a lot. The can score 1 TD and it's enough to win.  How deep of a run do they make? This has a bit of a 'feel good story' to it IMO. 

Elizabethton is getting better each week.  I think we can all agree this is not the same team that started 0-3 scoring only 7 points total in 3 losses.  Arguably those 3 losses were against really good competition in SH, GV and Daniel Boone (who we now know has a really good defense). Since then they are 3-1 and have scored 34, 35, 47 and 55 points.  Sure, with the exception of AC the competition wasn't as strong but they are clearly on the upswing.  

The demise of the green devil has been grossly misrepresented.  They've had 4 shutouts and 2 close games, which they've won both.  Oak Ridge has some athletes and speed, and the green devils put a running clock on them.  Greenville is still Greenville.  

AC is a little harder to figure.  I've been to a few games this year.  They have some athletes at every position,  but not every position if that makes sense. Great running game and backs.  Prolific passing ability with several deep threats. Defense is improved but still susceptible to a big play.  That's just high school football I guess.  Overall they're good but not the best AC team I've ever seen.  The team that lost a close one to GV a few years ago at GV with the older Noe and Moog was terrific. Literally any other year and that team wins it all, no questions asked. It just happened in a year where GV was probably the best they had ever been.  I'm not saying AC can't win it this year but they need to be more consistent.  To their credit  they found a way to win against a resurgent Elizabethton and a scrappy Rhea county team.  To me,  AC is the wild card this year. 

Clinton,  despite all the talk,  is only marginally better.  

OR is devastated by injuries but I don't think it really matters.  They're mid pack at best if healthily. 

West is a beast.  Don't know what else to say here. If they're clicking on all cylinders I can't think of a team that could beat them.  

Maryville is down a bit,  maybe?  Until it happens over the course of 2 or 3 seasons it is an anomaly.  They're still a really good football team with really high expectations that are hard to live up to.  

The poor Halls red devils are bad this year,  worse than anyone thought they'd be.  

Powell is back down to earth this year. With Potts at qb they have a chance to win any game but they're not the same team from a year ago. They're good,  but not great.  

Thoughts?  Who'd I leave out? 

Nice post and have to say your a lot smarter than Mav…lol

15 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

key words, wild card, Blitz. On the big ones I pick Maryville over D-B, and Oakland over Maryville. However for conversational purposes this would be D-B’s best shot in a long time.

That's fair.  In D-B's fashion, they may not even make it to the Maryville game.  

Elizabethton has wins against Rhea County and Sullivan East and Grainger. DB did beat Jefferson County and lost to Greeneville the rest of their schedule  has been weak. Daniel Boone looks like the 3rd round is their limit with Knox West looming.  So idk if any of the teams mentioned are that much better due to just playing bad teams now. So if it is state championship or bust then it will be a bust. I think Greeneville is the only team  in Region 1 that has a chance to win the state.

Edited by Tab

Wondering how far Hampton will make it this season. They were rolling until this past Friday. Sometimes a loss like that can “wake up” a team and get them over the top. Hard to believe last season Carter County had 3 teams in the semifinals (Cloudland, Hampton and Elizabethton), with two making it to the finals. Maybe that experience will help them down the long road to December. By the way, GREAT thoughts.