Harpeth @ Westmoreland

GBO52

On 10/24/2022 at 10:12 PM, Mr. Postman1 said:

Very very sloppy on offense! The time put in to the program shows up more and more each week! Peewee looking offensive performances for quite sometime now! Our offensive line needs to focus more on the first level defenders than they do the second level defenders if you ask me, a former lineman. Didn’t help the past week to have a starting offensive guard missing due to concussion.  I watch hours of film, and our blocking schemes seem to be bad. Way too much penetration to run the wingt. We need a lot more practice time it appears. It would do our team good to play JV games and freshman games to get in all the practice they can because practice makes perfect they say. Clock management hurt us at the end of the game Friday. Not sure what happened. I’ve heard several stories. Heard the refs wouldnt allow our coach to call a timeout until they spotted the ball! That’s a first I believe. Never the less it killed our chances of getting the ball back. If anyone wants to play the blame game I’d say the coaches and players have equal part in our last 2 losses. Not ready mentally for either game if you ask me. Last 2 weeks are over though. We can win and get at least 1 home playoff game. That’s what we should be focused on.  Hopefully we can watch film and learn how to get better. When I was in highschool our coach used film to point out our mistakes. You dreaded the Monday film study with the team. Everyone got to see your mistakes together it. It caused you to not want to make those again the following monday. Like JV games and freshman games film study together as a team to me is a necessity if your gonna have a serious program that wins. It even helps build character if that’s the goal. Everyone needs alittle constructive criticism sometimes. No one is above some of that. Not coaches, or players. It’s what drives us todo better in life they say

I met some of these boys this year at a game middle school game. Several of them were working the press box. Great group of young guys.  I left there a fan of those boys. They have character and the flicker in their eyes as they talked about football. It's been a long time since I've seen such an incredible group of young men. They told me about working in the hay fields to get stronger throughout the summer and multiple other things they did to be the best! Brought me back to a time when players were hard workers and tough as steel.  Great job parents of these boys I know they are going to go far in life. I hate there season has turned out how it has but it's not over keep pushing and encouraging these boys. 

Now as far as the season of football goes. I agree with Postman. I have no kid on that field,  if I did I would not be happy with the coaching these boys have been given. First off, NO EXCITEMENT the coach would have been fired where I come from for that very first game. Coaches have to get teams hype and motivated,  these coaches act like they at a funeral the whole game, nobody gonna get pumped with them coaches. I looked up this coach past season record and was shocked thinking, he gets paid to coach and hasn't done any better than this year in all his years of coaching. I have no idea why they are keeping him around as a coach. Probably has a buddy in the administration, no other place would keep him to even coach peewee.  The only reason West has done as well as they against other teams  is because they have great players who are trying to do whatever it takes to WIN with little offensive help from their coach,  actually he is killing them. I see a team who has played a tough schedule and have a coach who gave up on them in the ER game these boys are exhausted from being beat up and the coach not helping them. If that was my kids coach after ER game I would have been talking with administration about getting him out , you don't teach kids to quit. He has players who can do more but doesn't use them and refuses to throw a ball unless it's when it is either a last resort end of the game or not needed, which is why Whitehouse got a safety on them.  Spread out the offense, bud and put the players in that play the spot the best not those who can't. Postman is right about he guys on the line, they have to get 1st man, this team is not going to win the big games EVER when having linemen let someone go and trying to get the 2nd guy.  They are doing what they are told to do but it's Killin 'em. Last 2 games especially when a coach sees a team has everyone stacked in a box and doesn't make any adjustments,  it's almost like he is wanting to lose or knows nothing about the game. Backs need practice running a ball and holding on to it, that along with the play calling killed them against ER. Whitehouse made adjustmentslike a coach should and won. What I'm seeing with West is a  coach who don't seem to care much about his team. 

1 hour ago, Whodat1 said:

I met some of these boys this year at a game middle school game. Several of them were working the press box. Great group of young guys.  I left there a fan of those boys. They have character and the flicker in their eyes as they talked about football. It's been a long time since I've seen such an incredible group of young men. They told me about working in the hay fields to get stronger throughout the summer and multiple other things they did to be the best! Brought me back to a time when players were hard workers and tough as steel.  Great job parents of these boys I know they are going to go far in life. I hate there season has turned out how it has but it's not over keep pushing and encouraging these boys. 

Now as far as the season of football goes. I agree with Postman. I have no kid on that field,  if I did I would not be happy with the coaching these boys have been given. First off, NO EXCITEMENT the coach would have been fired where I come from for that very first game. Coaches have to get teams hype and motivated,  these coaches act like they at a funeral the whole game, nobody gonna get pumped with them coaches. I looked up this coach past season record and was shocked thinking, he gets paid to coach and hasn't done any better than this year in all his years of coaching. I have no idea why they are keeping him around as a coach. Probably has a buddy in the administration, no other place would keep him to even coach peewee.  The only reason West has done as well as they against other teams  is because they have great players who are trying to do whatever it takes to WIN with little offensive help from their coach,  actually he is killing them. I see a team who has played a tough schedule and have a coach who gave up on them in the ER game these boys are exhausted from being beat up and the coach not helping them. If that was my kids coach after ER game I would have been talking with administration about getting him out , you don't teach kids to quit. He has players who can do more but doesn't use them and refuses to throw a ball unless it's when it is either a last resort end of the game or not needed, which is why Whitehouse got a safety on them.  Spread out the offense, bud and put the players in that play the spot the best not those who can't. Postman is right about he guys on the line, they have to get 1st man, this team is not going to win the big games EVER when having linemen let someone go and trying to get the 2nd guy.  They are doing what they are told to do but it's Killin 'em. Last 2 games especially when a coach sees a team has everyone stacked in a box and doesn't make any adjustments,  it's almost like he is wanting to lose or knows nothing about the game. Backs need practice running a ball and holding on to it, that along with the play calling killed them against ER. Whitehouse made adjustmentslike a coach should and won. What I'm seeing with West is a  coach who don't seem to care much about his team. 

You are right, really good group of kids. 

On the coaching side of things though, I'm curious.... Do you really think anybody would spend the amount of time a HC has to spend and not try and win? I can deal with someone disagreeing with a coaches play calling or personnel or even schemes but I just have a hard time believing anyone would put that much time into something and not want to win....

4 hours ago, Whodat1 said:

I think you are spot on about character of the guys. As far as the season, i have a family member that's a team leader. We talked before the season and his goal was win region and win a home play off game. We thought based on schedule  that 8-2 or 7-3 possible.  So in that regard it's been disappointing.  No further comments on the coaching, play calling or personnel until season is over.  

3 hours ago, GBO52 said:

You are right, really good group of kids. 

On the coaching side of things though, I'm curious.... Do you really think anybody would spend the amount of time a HC has to spend and not try and win? I can deal with someone disagreeing with a coaches play calling or personnel or even schemes but I just have a hard time believing anyone would put that much time into something and not want to win....

Don't look like he spends more than the bare minimum on coaching them. From what I am seeing and hearing. Jumping off sides, taking the last 40 seconds or so in a big game ( district championship) and holding the ball instead of running a play, fumbling, a qb who could be awesome if he had someone who had coached him, backs who don't know how to hit a hole, no stats taken or turned in on players to show them their success, no film being watched to see what needs to be corrected, improved, and changed.  All of this tells me he's not wanting to put in what's needed to win as a coach, he's there to get a paycheck or knows somebody who keeps his job for him! I am just calling it like I see it. 

36 minutes ago, Doug said:

I think you are spot on about character of the guys. As far as the season, i have a family member that's a team leader. We talked before the season and his goal was win region and win a home play off game. We thought based on schedule  that 8-2 or 7-3 possible.  So in that regard it's been disappointing.  No further comments on the coaching, play calling or personnel until season is over.  

I mean I get it. Obviously when we watch something not work we are going to say they should have done this or done that but the issue to me seems we were scared of a region title game and that carried over a week... I'll say personally (which literally means nothing) I think Law should have more touches, I think Sizemore should have more touches and White should have more touches but other than that on the coaching side I don't know what they have done to force us to lose? 

We say pass more, but our line gives Kam about 2 seconds and then he's getting rocked by someone we let through (I have expressed before, we then do not help him up), we don't have any receivers that can get open in that amount of time so most the time when we do pass Kams trying to dodge the whole defensive line which forces him to make a bad decision so we really aren't capable of having that much success unless we maybe move to the shot gun and throw some quick slants.... IDK i'm just an average joe. What I do know is our players have not played like they are capable since fall break... 

Edited by GBO52

2 minutes ago, Whodat1 said:

Don't look like he spends more than the bare minimum on coaching them. From what I am seeing and hearing. Jumping off sides, taking the last 40 seconds or so in a big game ( district championship) and holding the ball instead of running a play, fumbling, a qb who could be awesome if he had someone who had coached him, backs who don't know how to hit a hole, no stats taken or turned in on players to show them their success, no film being watched to see what needs to be corrected, improved, and changed.  All of this tells me he's not wanting to put in what's needed to win as a coach, he's there to get a paycheck or knows somebody who keeps his job for him! I am just calling it like I see it. 

If everything you say is true then I would agree with you but I would say be careful with where you get your info.... 

I'd be willing to bet they are watching film, Offsides and fumbling - he coach it all day but he can't do it for them, both of those are strictly on the players! 

As far as backs not hitting holes, I'm with you on that but is that not being coached or just not being done? See what I mean, a lot of this comes down to execution. 

14 minutes ago, GBO52 said:

I mean I get it. Obviously when we watch something not work we are going to say they should have done this or done that but the issue to me seems we were scared of a region title game and that carried over a week... I'll say personally (which literally means nothing) I think Law should have more touches and I think Sizemore should have more touches  but other than that on the coaching side I don't know what they have done to force us to lose? 

We say pass more, but our line gives Kam about 2 seconds and then he's getting rocked by someone we let through (I have expressed before, we then do not help him up), we don't have any receivers that can get open in that amount of time so most the time when we do pass Kams trying to dodge the whole defensive line which forces him to make a bad decision so we really aren't capable of having that much success unless we maybe move to the shot gun and throw some quick slants.... IDK i'm just an average joe. What I do know is our players have not played like they are capable since fall break... 

agreed 100 percent 

1 hour ago, Whodat1 said:

Be careful what you wish for! ER went through bad coach after bad coach for years. Westmoreland is proven imo. Teams know what to expect when they play them. It easy for keyboard hero to name all the bad things. I’m pretty sure they don’t teach to jump offsides. Also don’t coach RBs and say just just pick a hole. You don’t beat Watertown, Trousdale, Clay, Portland and go toe to toe with smith, ER and Macon on bad coaching. 

• Upvote 3