Meigs @ Westmoreland playoffs 1st round 2022

Yeti

1 hour ago, blitzinbuc said:

With two Southern tradition first names I had to check you out on facebook. Do you have brothers named Billy Joe and Jim Bob? (just kidding)

You have a good looking family. Your son (#64) is a hoss for sure. Is the cute little girl yours?  She's a doll.  Looks like you outkicked your coverage with you wife - just like Dadof2 and I did. 

I saw some pictures you had of the stadium, but couldn't tell if the home side is the one with the press box. Didn't look like much seating on that side.  I looked up the school location on mapquest - is the football field closer to the Middle School.

And yes to your previous comment, Meigs' coaches were very impressed with Westmoreland watching them on film. 

That little one is actually my grand son! I’m about to have my 4th grand baby. I started young. LOL yes so outkicked my coverage like most of us ole rednecks did around here. Another side note: my senior year of football was 1995. Yes I was in the game between Meigs and westmoreland that year. #64. This game means a lot to me along with this team. The middle school and highschool fields are the same. All our schools are now right together. Hard to get lost. If you saw my page you also see what a Vols fan I am as well

With two Southern tradition first names I had to check you out on facebook. Do you have brothers named Billy Joe and Jim Bob? (just kidding)

You have a good looking family. Your son (#64) is a hoss for sure. Is the cute little girl yours?  She's a doll.  Looks like you outkicked your coverage with you wife - just like Dadof2 and I did. 

I saw some pictures you had of the stadium, but couldn't tell if the home side is the one with the press box. Didn't look like much seating on that side.  I looked up the school location on mapquest - is the football field closer to the Middle School.

And yes to your previous comment, Meigs' coaches were very impressed with Westmoreland watching them on film. 

By the way the home side and visitors have pressbox

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yeti said:

Been a quite week on this thread was hoping it would liven up a little. I'm sure Westy fans think they got us handled but I'd like to hear why they think they can. If I get a little participation I'll give my 2 cents on why I believe Meigs might win. Any takers?

Late to the party. 2 very similar teams it sounds like.  Westmoreland has had a lackluster couple of games on backside of schedule for sure. But overall i still think we are an undervalued 6-4 team based on strength of schedule as we have played 8 playoff teams this year. Defense is stout and although our offense has been maligned this year we do have some playmakers, particularly at Quarterback.  Still think it comes down to whoever makes fewer mistakes (penalties/turnovers) gets the win. 

26 minutes ago, Doug said:

Late to the party. 2 very similar teams it sounds like.  Westmoreland has had a lackluster couple of games on backside of schedule for sure. But overall i still think we are an undervalued 6-4 team based on strength of schedule as we have played 8 playoff teams this year. Defense is stout and although our offense has been maligned this year we do have some playmakers, particularly at Quarterback.  Still think it comes down to whoever makes fewer mistakes (penalties/turnovers) gets the win. 

That’s a good assessment. The mistakes is what caused us to lose the last 2 games we lost this year. Take away the turnovers and we win. Of course that could be said for all our loses. Like you, my hope lies in our strength of opponents we played this season. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Postman1 said:

That little one is actually my grand son! I’m about to have my 4th grand baby. I started young. LOL yes so outkicked my coverage like most of us ole rednecks did around here. Another side note: my senior year of football was 1995. Yes I was in the game between Meigs and westmoreland that year. #64. This game means a lot to me along with this team. The middle school and highschool fields are the same. All our schools are now right together. Hard to get lost. If you saw my page you also see what a Vols fan I am as well

I did a little research on your '95 team, and you all had to be loaded with that years' TSSAA Back of the Year and Lineman of the year. I found where that back has since passed away.
I didn't know '95 was the year Meigs made it to the state championship game... beating a very strong Westmoreland (21-14) in the quarterfinals and Alcoa in the semifinals before losing to Goodpasture in the championship game. Meigs scored 63 points on Alcoa in that game - the most ever scored on Alcoa. My, how times have changed for Alcoa!!! 
I love small town football, and the community pride of places like Westmoreland and Decatur. 

By the way, found this old post from here on CoachT that you should enjoy, since you're mentioned. Your son will be proud to read it:  

I did a little research on your '95 team, and you all had to be loaded with that years' TSSAA Back of the Year and Lineman of the year. I found where that back has since passed away.
I didn't know '95 was the year Meigs made it to the state championship game... beating a very strong Westmoreland (21-14) in the quarterfinals and Alcoa in the semifinals before losing to Goodpasture in the championship game. Meigs scored 63 points on Alcoa in that game - the most ever scored on Alcoa. My, how times have changed for Alcoa!!! 
I love small town football, and the community pride of places like Westmoreland and Decatur. 

By the way, found this old post from here on CoachT that you should enjoy, since you're mentioned. Your son will be proud to read it:  

Blitz,

Nice touch with this post. I know it was greatly appreciated.

Tell Coach Fitz Alcoa is looking for a home and away for 2023 and 2024.

2 hours ago, blitzinbuc said:

To add to that information. We beat Goodpasture that year during regular season. Also, the legend Clint brown passed away earlier this year. Our qb from that team chad Duggin, also and awesome player, passed away a few years ago! The brotherhood on that team still lives on today through the coaches and players that were as close as any family you’ll ever be around. It is why I have the passion for the sport of football that I have always had. Its been awesome to see my oldest son and now youngest to put that red #64 on today! One day my grandsons will hopefully do the same! Small towns like Westmoreland and I’m sure Decatur are a special places to be raised! I work in the big city of nashville every day for the past 26 years. I’ve met some high profile athletes that I have on my mail route and brought some with me to our games over the years. They have all been amazed at the passion we have for our small town highschool football team. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cam615 said:

Just for clearance for Meigs faithful, get directions to Westmoreland Middle school, parking in front of school, field is behind school, seating is not great but not bad. Safe travels guys, especially my buddy Yeti! 

Thanks Cam. Leaving work some early and school is letting out early. Weather will be really good for football. Hope to make a nice evening of it. Any chance you will be there?

5 hours ago, Doug said:

Good post Doug. 

Meigs had a rough start this year. We played a good Sweetwater team and came back from 2 scores down  to win that game in grand fashion. The following week we play a TKA team and find ourselves down 21 points at halftime. We come back and score 24 consecutive points to take the lead only to lose the game iate in the 4th. We changed our offense up some after this game and took a shot at Bledsoe only to lose by 3 points score being 17 to 14 I believe. The rest of the season we have slowly gained momentum on offense and fine tuned it some and now honestly our offense is fairly stout. At least I believe so. Someone on here corrected me earlier on that statement but I'm sticking to it.:D

Our defense has been good against the run all year and pretty bad early in the season against the pass. Fast forward to now and we are solid on both sides of the ball I believe. We aren't championship caliber but are definitely good enough to be just outside the top 10 this year in 2A. 

The Marion game showcased just how good our offense was. Also showcased how good their offense came together late in the season. 

I expect a really good game tomorrow and hope we can come down there and upset you guys. Every poll has you ranked better than us. We will see who wants it more and which coaches come up with the best game plan I guess. Good luck tomorrow folks. After tomorrow one of us will be watching from the couch

Edited by Yeti

9 hours ago, Yeti said:

Good post Doug. 

Meigs had a rough start this year. We played a good Sweetwater team and came back from 2 scores down  to win that game in grand fashion. The following week we play a TKA team and find ourselves down 21 points at halftime. We come back and score 24 consecutive points to take the lead only to lose the game iate in the 4th. We changed our offense up some after this game and took a shot at Bledsoe only to lose by 3 points score being 17 to 14 I believe. The rest of the season we have slowly gained momentum on offense and fine tuned it some and now honestly our offense is fairly stout. At least I believe so. Someone on here corrected me earlier on that statement but I'm sticking to it.:D

Our defense has been good against the run all year and pretty bad early in the season against the pass. Fast forward to now and we are solid on both sides of the ball I believe. We aren't championship caliber but are definitely good enough to be just outside the top 10 this year in 2A. 

The Marion game showcased just how good our offense was. Also showcased how good their offense came together late in the season. 

I expect a really good game tomorrow and hope we can come down there and upset you guys. Every poll has you ranked better than us. We will see who wants it more and which coaches come up with the best game plan I guess. Good luck tomorrow folks. After tomorrow one of us will be watching from the couch

Thanks for the summary from the Meigs perspective.  Sounds like you guys have figured some things out along  the way. Agree this one shapes up to be a good one.  Safe travels.