Wartburg Central @ Coalfield

rtl112

15 minutes ago, TSSAAfootball said:

Agreed. I know they have a QB and a WR that got some awards last year but I'm not buying into Wartburg. I actually think they will finish last in the division this year. Coalfield will have some first game mistakes early but I think they will dominate the second half. 

I disagree. Wartburg is better then what people think they are. 

Maybe coalfield will be looking to win this one  by more than they did last year, I was actually quite confused on how Wartburg kept it so close last year 14-8. I think coalfield wins and maybe by a bit more but it seems like Wartburg always has a way to keep it close to them. Final score 28-7. Do you Morgan County folk think that Wartburg would  do pretty good In 1a. And my second question is have they ever talked about a single  Morgan Co high school. I'd imagine they'd be about 3a or maybe a smaller 4a school. Would  sunbright,wartburg, coalfield,and Oakdale teams combined be pretty good or do you think it'd be something similar to how the Blount County schools consolidation went   walland was pretty successful. But im not sure if maryville-heritage ever had a winning season more than 5 times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichyRich said:

Maybe coalfield will be looking to win this one  by more than they did last year, I was actually quite confused on how Wartburg kept it so close last year 14-8. I think coalfield wins and maybe by a bit more but it seems like Wartburg always has a way to keep it close to them. Final score 28-7. Do you Morgan County folk think that Wartburg would  do pretty good In 1a. And my second question is have they ever talked about a single  Morgan Co high school. I'd imagine they'd be about 3a or maybe a smaller 4a school. Would  sunbright,wartburg, coalfield,and Oakdale teams combined be pretty good or do you think it'd be something similar to how the Blount County schools consolidation went   walland was pretty successful. But im not sure if maryville-heritage ever had a winning season more than 5 times. 

I don't think it would make much difference for Wartburg if they were in 1A. They would still have a hard time making the playoffs if they were in our region.

18 hours ago, EdForHeisman said:

I disagree. Wartburg is better then what people think they are. 

They can definitely play with the teams around here if they can block up front. They're missing their best lineman for this game and games going forward (knee injury). They lack size up front, but their skill players can match up with other teams. Wartburg has not been very good in about 12 years or so, so I would like to see them improve and build off of last year.

19 hours ago, RichyRich said:

Wartburg should be single A. They would be so much better in single A vs. double AA. I think a consolidation would be the best thing for the county of Morgan to advance for the future. All the kids in the county have just transferred to Coalfield and left their home schools with no players to hardly field a team. Wartburg around 25 players in Double AA, Sunbright around 17 players, Oakdale around 20, and Coalfield around 50. 

7 minutes ago, CYJACKETT said:

Wartburg should be single A. They would be so much better in single A vs. double AA. I think a consolidation would be the best thing for the county of Morgan to advance for the future. All the kids in the county have just transferred to Coalfield and left their home schools with no players to hardly field a team. Wartburg around 25 players in Double AA, Sunbright around 17 players, Oakdale around 20, and Coalfield around 50. 

I generally am against consolidation but in Morgan County case I could see it making sense.

8 minutes ago, CYJACKETT said:

We haven't got no transfers from other county schools that i know of and I can't remember a team with 50 players either.  We had a few transfers from Oz and Oakdale over the years but that's about it

7 minutes ago, RichyRich said:

I generally am against consolidation but in Morgan County case I could see it making sense.

Consolidation would be the best thing for the county, but I have a hard time seeing everybody agreeing to it. Too much pride within each city in the county and the love for their respective schools runs deep. Plus a Consolidated high school would be placed in Wartburg since that is the middle of the county and that would rub a lot people the wrong way.  

On 8/19/2023 at 12:03 AM, TSSAAfootball said:

I know the score was bad but how did Wartburg look?

Sounded like they were very undisciplined. I think they had 7 personal foul penalties total. I believe 2-3 of them were offsetting, so it sounds like it was a chippy game. Penalties and turnovers will kill you every time. They're talented in the skill positions, quarterback just needs to be accurate with the ball and allow his playmakers to work.