Collinwood @ Cornersville

dawgswin

Had to take few days to reflect on this and watch it over. First off, congrats Collinwood players and coaches. They had their team ready and it was like they were in our playbook. When a guard pulled they, followed right behind and stopped us in the backfield. When a wing went in motion, they followed and tackled us in the backfield. They played disciplined and coaches had a great a strategy to shut our offense down. 

Our line missed blocks all night. We can’t stay on a block for nothing. Too many tackles were made by players who by design should have been blocked and driven off the ball, but we would half way get hands on them and go to the next guy instead of holding our blocks. Pulling guards were far too slow and just bottled up the hole. Coaches did not adjust play calling to match what was happening on the field. They were not biting on the fake up the middle and not having the fullback as blocker was killing us, but we never adjusted our calls. They did adjust by calling more pass plays, which was the one bright spot for us to build on. Several receivers stepped up for big catches. QB just needs more time in the pocket to set his feet and throw. 

Defensively, we did not do terrible. We held them to 12. We missed too many tackles. Safety didn’t come down to stop the run all game and was far too late getting to coverage on the touchdown pass. Not sure how they were missing this in the box. Hopefully they get the personal dialed in. Lots of moving people around the last few weeks.

On to next week. We believe in these coaches and players. We just got to get it together all the way around and get back to how we were looking in early scrimmages and that first game. Let’s not implode. Go DAWGS!

Edited by HerefortheDAWGS
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 8:25 AM, wholder said:

All the talk about Mr Football and we back is hog wash. 

It bothered me in the way some of our fans went on here talking smack to everyone about this early on. The kid is humble as can be and did not deserve to be put on that pedestal. He is a great player, but Derrick Henry couldn’t run behind our line play right now. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HerefortheDAWGS said:

Had to take few days to reflect on this and watch it over. First off, congrats Collinwood players and coaches. They had their team ready and it was like they were in our playbook. When a guard pulled they, followed right behind and stopped us in the backfield. When a wing went in motion, they followed and tackled us in the backfield. They played disciplined and coaches had a great a strategy to shut our offense down. 

Our line missed blocks all night. We can’t stay on a block for nothing. Too many tackles were made by players who by design should have been blocked and driven off the ball, but we would half way get hands on them and go to the next guy instead of holding our blocks. Pulling guards were far too slow and just bottled up the hole. Coaches did not adjust play calling to match what was happening on the field. They were not biting on the fake up the middle and not having the fullback as blocker was killing us, but we never adjusted our calls. They did adjust by calling more pass plays, which was the one bright spot for us to build on. Several receivers stepped up for big catches. QB just needs more time in the pocket to set his feet and throw. 

Defensively, we did not do terrible. We held them to 12. We missed too many tackles. Safety didn’t come down to stop the run all game and was far too late getting to coverage on the touchdown pass. Not sure how they were missing this in the box. Hopefully they get the personal dialed in. Lots of moving people around the last few weeks.

On to next week. We believe in these coaches and players. We just got to get it together all the way around and get back to how we were looking in early scrimmages and that first game. Let’s not implode. Go DAWGS!

Really good and reflective post.   Refreshing.  Nice job.  

• Thanks 1