Cannon Co. @ Smith Co.

silcox9

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben did not get a lot of playing time last year as a sophmore, but has already turned his game up several notches. He plays the two spot mostly but is naturally suited as a point guard, where he plays on occasion. Most all of Cannon's players are way above average in smartness(basketball sense & otherwise), but he may be the sharpest. He sees the floor exceptionally well & may be the best passer in the district. To answer your question; he has been turning in solid performances except at the foul line, where he refuses to FOCUS on the front of the rim, take & HOLD a breath as he shoots, then FOLLOW-THRU and NOT take his eyes off the front of the rim until it goes thru the net. As far as the Smith games is concerned...in my opinion Cannon over achieved by beating a bigger, better & more rounded DeKalb team, but then "over achieving" is often a part of Cannon's game plan. From what I've heard Smith should be favored, but Cannon may be more battle hardend after three tough AAA games with Warren Co., Smyrna & Coffee Co.

I would say these teams are even at this point. Sleeper is a great player but almost shot his team to a defeat Friday at Jackson. He is probably the best player in the district though. I've seen 4 of the games this year, and he was the best player on the floor each night ( Upperman, DCA, Macon, Jackson ). Close game Tues. 5 pts. either way.

Posted by patiotime:

I would say these teams are even at this point. Sleeper is a great player but almost shot his team to a defeat Friday at Jackson. He is probably the best player in the district though. I've seen 4 of the games this year, and he was the best player on the floor each night ( Upperman, DCA, Macon, Jackson ). Close game Tues. 5 pts. either way.

If Sleeper is on they can beat anybody...if Sleeper is off, they can lose to anybody. He is a great player, but like any shooter, he has bad nights. I have yet to see a shooter(at any level) that doesn't have bad nights. I think he wants to win as bad as any player I have seen. He needs to elevate the rest of his game when the shot is not there(passing, defense, rebounding). I have no doubt he can do that. The other players depend on him too much sometimes.

[Edited by Antwan on 12-8-02 10:16A]

Yea, all players have off nights, but Sleeper needs to learn when to shoot and when not to. I will say that I will take him every night on my team. He may hurt from timr to time, but in the end, you want him on your team, you need him on your team!! I promise you every coach in the district mentions his name more than once in practice. The good thing is Winklers, Glover and Oliver can hold their own. This can only mean that when they play together wins will result...

you really think sleeper was the best player in some of those games, the best player usually controls the game the tempo and plays the smartest. he hasn't done that when i was watching, there were better players on the other team and occasionally better on the same team

you really think sleeper was the best player in some of those games, the best player usually controls the game the tempo and plays the smartest. he hasn't done that when i was watching, there were better players on the other team and occasionally better on smith co.

MY THOUGHTS ON SLEEPER IS THAT HE IS A GOOD PLAYER, BUT NOT A SMART ONE. I WOULD RATHER HAVE A GREAT TEAM THAN ONE GOOD PLAYER. CANNON CO. DOESN'T REALLY RELY ON ONE PLAYER TO HAVE A GREAT NIGHT. THEY ARE A SMART TEAM AND KNOW THAT THEY HAVE TO PLAY AS A TEAM, ON DEFENSE AND OFFENSE. CANNON HAS COME CLOSE TO BEATING TWO AAA TEAMS. AGAINST SMYRNA THEY HAD IT WON, BUT COULDN'T FINISH FROM THE LINE. I THINK THEY GAME WILL BE INTERESTING,BUT CANNON CO. COMMING OUT WITH THE WIN.

Yes, I do believe Sleeper was the best player on the floor those nights, that's why I posted it. I do think Carthage has some other fine players as I do the other teams. Yes, Sleeper does not always play smart, but more often than not he helps his team and hurts the opponent. I look for him to hurt Cannon with his play. He won't be perfect though. It will be a close game, like I said 5 pts. either way. Shaqdaddy-- I agree, would rather have a good team, but it is difficult to have a good team with no good players..

[Edited by patiotime on 12-8-02 4:59P]

Anybody who says Sleeper isn't a smart player doesn't know basketball. Sure, he shot a lot at jackson, but somebody has to shoot. Plus, he is getting double and triple teamed a lot and I think it is frustrating him, but he will figure out a way to get pass that. He is a very unselfish player and even though he didn't score his points friday, he was all smiles after the game b/c they got the win. That is all he cares about. He is a very good player who finally knows how to win, and finally has a good supporting cast. Look for Smith Co. to take the district crown this year and they will beat Cannon 68-45.

SMITH COUNTY HAS ONE DISTRICT WIN BY THE WORST TEAM IN THE DISTRICT AND THEY ONLY BEAT THEM BY EIGHT. LIKE YOU SAID "LISTEN" OR (WHATEVER YOUR NAME IS). HE TOOK A LOT OF SHOTS AT JACKSON, AND HE DIDN'T GET HIS POINTS. AND I THINK YOU ALSO SAID SOMEONE HAS TO SHOOT. YEAH YOUR RIGHT SOMEONE DOES. "YOUR TEAM"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN'T JUST THROW UP A BAD SHOT AND GIVE THE BALL TO THE OTHER TEAM. IF YOU SEE THAT YOU ARE GETTING DOUBLR TEAMED THEN THAT MEANS SOMEONE IS OPEN, PASS THE BALL. THAT IS WHAT SMART PLAYERS DO THEY FIND WAYS TO SCORE, BY USING THEMSELVES AND THIER TEAMMATES. IF YOU SAY THAT SLEEPER WAS DOUBLE TEAMED ALL NIGHT AND YOU SAY THAT HE SHOT ALOT. THEN THAT JUST SAYS THAT HE IS NOT A SMART PLAYER. I'M SAYING WHAT I SAID IN MY OTHER POST "GOOD PLAYER, BUT NOT SMART." ;)