Boyd-Buchanan...good team?

bucbasketball43

I have followed Single A ball in Chattanooga for a long time. I know more about that schools bball history than most people there. If you want to talk about the late '80s you would mention Jeb Hartness and the other guys that went to back to back tournaments, then you would wnat to talk about Michael Gaines and the midgets of the early to mid 90's, and of course the 1996 team would also come up into the conversation. But since that 1996 team what does BBS have to mention except for football. They have only made it to the substate once since 1996 and that was with the remnant of the 1996 team. Trust me I know about single A ball in Chattanooga. vball please do not speak of things without an education.

bopperbird33 knows that the 1996 team had a nice hand of luck dealt to them that season. If he wants to make an honest appraisal of this years squad he knows that they can not match up inside with any decent post player. Please tell me that he has not forgotten what wins games in HS ball. This years team will not have as much luck as the 1996 scrubs had.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, CHISM I ADMIT YOU MUST HAVE SOME KNOWLEDGE OF SINGLE A BB. IT IS EVIDENT IN YOUR LAST POST. MICHAEL GAINES WAS A GREAT PLAYER. I WATCHED HIM AT FHU WHERE HE WAS AN ALL-AMERICAN.

HOWEVER, I DISAGREE ON YOUR STATEMENT THAT THE 96 TEAM WON THE STATE DUE TO LUCK. THIS STATEMENT DEGRADES YOUR BB KNOWLEDGE QUITE A BIT. YOU DO NOT GO 33-2 AND WIN THE STATE TITLE ALL B/C OF LUCK. THOSE PLAYERS HAD A GREAT AMOUNT OF SKILL. BUT THE THING THAT PUSHED THEM TO THE TOP WAS THEIR HEART AND THEIR "REFUSE TO LOSE" ATTITUDE.

I AM VERY CLOSE TO THE PLAYERS ON THIS YEAR'S TEAM. YES, IT IS EARLY IN THE SEASON, BUT I SEE THIS SAME KIND OF ATTITUDE AND HEART. YOU MENTIONED THE POST GAME--THAT IS OUR BIGGEST SURPRISE ON THIS YEAR'S TEAM. BILLY RINGOLD HAS WORKED HARD AND IMPROVED TREMENDOUSLY. THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL POSITIVE COMMENTS ON HIS PLAY THIS SEASON. THE ERA OF "BBS MIDGETS" IS DEFINETLY OVER WITH RINGOLD AND 6'5" COOPER. WE'LL SEE HOW THEIR POST PLAY DEVELOPS AS THE SEASON PROGRESSES.

YOU CAN HAVE THE NEGATIVE ATTITUDE TOWARD BBS BB, IT IS YOUR CHOICE. AND I CAN AND WILL STRONGLY DISAGREE, THAT IS MY CHOICE. LIKE I SAID BEFORE, THE REST WILL BE SAID ON THE COURT...

Chism, Is it really the case that you have to have dominate post play to win state? I agree that one would think it to be a necessity. However, Temple one in last year with no legitimate post player and had to play agaisnt Rocky Nicols, (6'5") Boomer Herdon (7')and Julian Terrell (6'10"). Chatt Christian the year before won it and although they had Holwerda who is 6'5" he stays out of the paint altogether.

Boyd will be very good come February and will give everyone fits and that includes Temple who had better be ready for the Bucs.

vball20, once again if you are not educated about a subject please do not post messages. The 1996 Team was 30-2 not 33-2!! I have noticed that bopperbird33 has not disagreed with any of my posts, because he knows that I am right!!

About having a dominate post player. I never said they had to be dominant, but you have to have a threat. Temple was able to match up with bigger teams last year because of their tremendous speed. Also, if you watched the Ezell game Skogen pretty much handled Terrel in the post defensively. About CCS the year before, come on that was a very big team for single A. Jason was not the only big man. I am sorry that I forgot their names, but they had another wing player that was 6'5 and could jump out of the gym. I think that his name may have bee Trimew, but not positive. They also had a thick post player that went about 6'4 that was a great defensive player. He was also a very good baseball player. So, you do not have to be dominant, but you must have a solid post game to win.

I am not being negative, I just know that Boyd does not have what it takes this year. Ask Bopperbird33 what he really thinks and I sure that he will agree with all that I have said!!

Chism, I played on the Chattanooga Christian team that won state, and Martin Trimiew was 6'3. Henegar was no taller than 6'3, but he did play taller than that defensively.

Our starting 5 that year were:

Holwerda-6'5

Trimiew-6'3

Fordice 6'1

Cook, 6'2 (but now he's more like 6'4)

Henegar-6'3

We would have had a 6'7 post player but he tore his miniscus near the beginning of the season.

[Edited by Dale on 12-12-02 12:07P]

Thanks for the help! What is your assessment of the team at BBS this year. You know what it takes to win. Do they have it?

I am still waiting for bopperbird33. Why are you so silent?

I also played on the team that won state for CCS. Henegar is the other post you're talking about that was good defensively, he played great defense in the tournaments. Trimiew is more like 6'4". All of our starters that year were at least 6'1", and while we weren't all huge, we had a fairly large line-up for a 1A school. And Jason did spend some time in the paint, you probably know that he has some serious hops and either led the team in rebounding or was second to Trimiew. They both liked to post up smaller guards and were very good at it. As far as Boyd this year, if they have the same team as last year I don't see them making it to state. They may prove me wrong, but we beat them and I don't think that our team has a shot either. Not a knock on Boyd at all, just my opinion. They do have some pretty good players though, and should have a pretty good year.

It's kinda hard to say how Boyd will be this year compared to the rest of Single-A. I do not think any one team will be dominating this year. 1A is definitely having a down year after losing so many people from several teams. Boyd, in my opinion, definitely has the athletes and guards to do well, but their post game last year was weak. As for their post game this year, I cannot say anything since I haven't seen them play yet. They could be good, we'll just have to wait and see.

Guest bopperbird33

chism, what is up? not alot here, but i have a little more to do on my time than to respond all the time. you know. anyways, i disagree with about 90% of your reply. you were right on your educated part, but that was about it. you sound to me like one of those that know more about info than how to play the game.

also, it is really early in the year to tell for sure but i think the bucs along with temple, ccs, and many others have a shot at state tourney...the bucs have the athleticism and the talent to do it...also, if you think that the 96 team was really luck then i will be glad to educate you on that issue.. feel free to respond on that area..bc that was for sure talent and not luck..the bucs just beat tyner in overtime and tyner probably shot 75% in second half....the bucs have great depth and by feb could be the best team in the area and again in the state...

Mr. Bird,

I knew that you would agree with me and you can't be serious putting Boyd and Temple in the same sentence! Temple beats Boyd this year by 15 to 20. I do know a lot about the game and I also know how to play the game. I have seen the inside of the Murphy Center and stepped on the court to win a championship. Please do not think that I cant play. How are you going to educate me? I think that the '96 team was good, but they were lucky! That team had a bunch of scrubs that was carried by a Coach that should be coaching at the next level. I give that title to their coach not the players. That school has been blessed with tremendous coaches. The guy there now has done great with the lack of talent that he has. Mr. Bird are you going to tell me that the '96 team had good players? They were just well coached.

Please educate me with your wisdom! Son I have a job and work very hard. Please do not think that I have time to sit at a computer all day. It takes about five minutes to post a message. You are probably not even out of bed yet!

Guest Bluetorn25

I do not think the Boyd-Temple game will be a blowout as you said, Chism. IMO, Temple is overrated this year. Sure, they have Skogen back, one of the best players in this area, and Wadley who has one of the purest shots, but they also lost 3 starters from last year's team who did not get the credit they deserved. Jeron Williams and Johnny Hutchison both brought so much to that team...clutch shots, defense, leadership. Those are two players that cannot easily be replaced, and they haven't been replaced at all this year. Don't get me wrong, I still think Temple is a good team, just not as good as they were last year. I personally think they will still win the 1A championship, but just because 1A is miserably down this year. Boyd and Temple will be closer than 20 points.