NFL PA demanding change from artificial turf.

ManOfMillions

I have had this exact same opinion for years. All of the upsides to having turf do NOT outweigh player safety. To heck with turf! Natural grass! Thoughts?

Executive director Lloyd Howell issued a statement Wednesday morning saying NFL players “overwhelming prefer it and the data is clear that grass is simply safer than artificial turf. It is an issue that has been near the top of the players’ list during my team visits and one I have raised with the NFL.”

The players’ union called for the change less than 48 hours after a season-ending injury to four-time NFL MVP quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers tore his left Achilles tendon in his debut with the New York Jets on Monday night.

Howell said in his statement they know there is an investment to making such a change. But he said there’s a bigger cost to the NFL if the league keeps losing its best players to “unnecessary injuries.” He noted the NFL flips surfaces to grass for World Cup or soccer exhibitions.

“But artificial surfaces are acceptable for our own players,” Howell said. “This is worth the investment and it simply needs to change now.

15 hours ago, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

They should get the Amish to come in and help us with our fields. Who else has a green yard in November 

7 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

playing on plastic grass stinks

Yes, and Yes. I have never been a fan. It looks fancy to have logos of the local factory on the field but the risk of playing on it does not outweigh the benefits.