Heritage (GA) comes north to Bear Country

alt1958b

This is RARE. Bradley playing a Georgia team (actually any game crossing that border is rare), although coached by EK Slaughter (former Cleveland High Coach).

Both teams coming off Bye weeks and plenty of time to prepare. Slaughter is familiar with Bradley and Coch Floyd and vice versa with scrimmages in the history between the schools. Georgia Class 4A vs Tennessee Class 6A.

Bradley is 4-0 and riding high after a big win against Walker Valley 35-0. Heritage is 3-1 and has a win over East Hamilton 28-23.

Let's see if the Bears can send the Generals back south with a new respect.

19 hours ago, RichyRich said:

I've always thought bradley or Cleveland would match up good against dalton ga

We (Cleveland) wanted to back in the day. But back then teams couldn't really travel into other states and play? Too much red tape involved. So, everyone just left it at that. They were wanting it to be showcased down in Chatt. Back in the 90's. 

It really got built up when Cleveland was on the win streak and having trouble with scheduling? So that's when Memphis Westwood stepped up and of course Cleveland ended up paying them some of the gate? That was an overhyped game. HAHA...I had already graduated. Cleveland put it on them that night? But to the previous answer it was just too much of a hassle to get approval from both Tennessee and Georgia. So, they let it at that. Now it's easy to get that approval. Haha

But at the same time Chattanooga hated us and still does. Haha. The Chatt coaches in that Region were the ones that pushed and voted us out of the Region. So that's why we were sent to Knoxville. The only team in that area to do so...They were tired of seeing Cleveland get into the playoffs. So, T$$AA obliged. Everyone figured we would get killed up there. But nope, we actually loved it. It actually prepared us more for the post season run. I love the Knoxville Region. I'm not saying that Chatt is weak, but you have so many more playoff contenders up there back in the day. 

Edited by Humorist

1 hour ago, Humorist said:

We (Cleveland) wanted to back in the day. But back then teams couldn't really travel into other states and play? Too much red tape involved. So, everyone just left it at that. They were wanting it to be showcased down in Chatt. Back in the 90's. 

It really got built up when Cleveland was on the win streak and having trouble with scheduling? So that's when Memphis Westwood stepped up and of course Cleveland ended up paying them some of the gate? That was an overhyped game. HAHA...I had already graduated. Cleveland put it on them that night? But to the previous answer it was just too much of a hassle to get approval from both Tennessee and Georgia. So, they let it at that. Now it's easy to get that approval. Haha

But at the same time Chattanooga hated us and still does. Haha. The Chatt coaches in that Region were the ones that pushed and voted us out of the Region. So that's why we were sent to Knoxville. The only team in that area to do so...They were tired of seeing Cleveland get into the playoffs. So, T$$AA obliged. Everyone figured we would get killed up there. But nope, we actually loved it. It actually prepared us more for the post season run. I love the Knoxville Region. I'm not saying that Chatt is weak, but you have so many more playoff contenders up there back in the day. 

Yeah, the work to make it happen was always ridiculous. Lots of great home and homes were never worked on because of that. Dalton is 30 miles. Northwest is 18? Maybe? Murray County right down 411 from Polk. 

GHSAA and TSSAA have historically really frowned on the across border play.

BTW, news out of Georgia in reclassification for next year is they will drop the 7 classes in favor of 6 because of "long distance travel issues" in scheduling.

TSSAA maybe you need to look at that. if teams have to travel more than 2 hours for region games? I know that gettting of:00f from work at 5 PM (TSSAA officials, AD's and Coaches don't have that issue) it becomes difficult to make out of town trips especially with the 7:00 PM starting times now. I really think that hurts the gate at all games.

And I remember the Hamilton County School Board, pushing to make all their games inside Hamiton County (because then they would not have to pay bus expenses out of county) to the point of requesting the TSSAA to make their districts all within the county sending everyone else into long distance districts, such as Cleveland and Bradley going north to Knoxville. Never mind how much money Bradley Countians spent in sales tax down there. Then the jealousy didn't help either.

Till Tom Weathers and Red Bank finally won a Championship, Chattanooga teams didn't get a sniff of one other than McCallie and Baylor. They had to hang their hats on Bradley's 76 championship and Cleveland's run in 93-95.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Humorist said:

I think last time I remember mcminn county or mcminn central playing an out of state was around 2006/07 and it was central va Robbinsville nc. I've wanted to see some more border battles lately the teams in North Tennessee always plays ky,va, and nc teams, would like to see one of us do the same one day.

50 minutes ago, RichyRich said:

I think last time I remember mcminn county or mcminn central playing an out of state was around 2006/07 and it was central va Robbinsville nc. I've wanted to see some more border battles lately the teams in North Tennessee always plays ky,va, and nc teams, would like to see one of us do the same one day.

Copperhill does play several NC teams and maybe Georgia team close by. but that is all I know of.

20 minutes ago, alt1958b said:

Copperhill does play several NC teams and maybe Georgia team close by. but that is all I know of.

Same but I understand that back when I was a kid in middle school they played in our division which was

Athens,etowah,Roger creek,Riceville,englewood,Polk county,copperhill,tellico,Madisonville,vonore,sweetwater, Meigs county,loudon,greenback,lenior city, and midway at one point. Then they moved to a different division that was all ga teams I think.

It's easier now then back then? Somewhat? I know that when I was an asst coach at Bradley I believe we still had to get permission to wrestle down in Ga? That was wild in itself. We had our varsity at Mountain View while our JV was like 5 miles down the road at another school? We (JV) were dropped off early that morning. The thing is we got done way before the Varsity, so we had to carpool over to Mountainview? HAHA...

Glad to see the Cherokees get a "w" against Oakridge.