Ripley @ Covington - 10/20/23

CHARGERFAN

When Ripley visits Covington this Friday night, they will come in with a chance to win Region 7-3A. If they win their final two games against Covington and Dyersburg, and if Covington were to beat Westview the following week, that would make Ripley the region champs.

I know that Covington is favored to beat Ripley, but the Tigers will sure have the incentive to take this game. I still like my Chargers to win. What’s the thinking on Coach T about this game?

Felt all season that Dburg/Covington were the top two in the region and that everyone else was playing for the final two playoff spots. Entering Week 9 I have no reason to change my opinion.

On the surface it would be easy for some to overhype the Tigers for being the only team remaining through eight games with a shot at taking the #1 from Dyersburg but scheduling here is the factor and Ripley has an absolute gauntlet for the final two weeks with a road trip to Covington followed by a short week and a Thursday night game at historic J.C. Sawyers Stadium in Week 10. If both games were at Tiny Knee I might be compelled to have a different opinion as the Tigers are a completely different team at home versus on the road but common opponents and the game being at Covington are just two of many reasons why I feel the Chargers win comfortably this Friday night to keep the collision course for Dburg/Covington in Round 3 of the state playoffs for the third year in a row.

Covington and Ripley have a lot of football history. The teams have played 53 times since Covington High began (as a merger between Byars-Hall High and Frazier High) in 1970. The TN high school database shows that Covington is leading the series 33-18. The database only shows results thru 2019, so adding Charger wins in 2020 and 2021, the series stands at 35-18. 

The Chargers have won 8 in a row since Ripley last picked up a 24-19 win in 2014. Since Ripley got a 29-28 victory in 1996, the Chargers have won 22 and Ripley has won 4. 

Stock traders tell us that “past performance is no indicator of future results”, but I like the chances that my Chargers will have to beat the Tigers this week.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

4 hours ago, Deeper said:

Covington 42   Ripley 7

Covington has not lost to Ripley in at least 25 years.  

If you read the 3rd post in this thread, you will see that actually Ripley beat Covington in 2014, and that Covington has won 8 straight since then. The 25 years is not true.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

I don’t think anyone is overlooking Ripley.  The coach’s know that the Tigers are and always been a team that likes smash mouth football.  

They hit hard and if you come in the game sleep walking they will beat you.

The hardest hit I ever seen was by Ripley against a Dyersburg receiver, in a driving rain storm. Hit the kid so hard, knocked his feet out from undear him and he rotated 360 degrees in the air.  Sounded like a shot gun blast on impact, in the parking lot. 

Edited by mg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mg said:

I don’t think anyone is overlooking Ripley.  The coach’s know that the Tigers are and always been a team that likes smash mouth football.  

They hit hard and if you come in the game sleep walking they will beat you.

The hardest hit I ever seen was by Ripley against a Dyersburg receiver, in a driving rain storm. Hit the kid so hard, knocked his feet out from undear him and he rotated 360 degrees in the air.  Sounded like a shot gun blast on impact, in the parking lot. 

That was in 2002 and I still remember that sound! I think it was Bobby Matthews that took that lick. That and at one point you could barely make out the opposite sideline because it was raining so hard. We still won that game though! I was going up against Ramon Foster all game and he had 150lbs on me

4 hours ago, TrojanLC said:

That was in 2002 and I still remember that sound! I think it was Bobby Matthews that took that lick. That and at one point you could barely make out the opposite sideline because it was raining so hard. We still won that game though! I was going up against Ramon Foster all game and he had 150lbs on me

It was Wesley W?  He and his brother moved here either that year or the year before.  He was pretty good before the hit, after he always heard footsteps.