Bearden Basketball

JournalEntry

36 minutes ago, KnoxBBall1993 said:

Mr. Journal is on here to throw shade at Bearden and their coaching staff and troll as much as he can.  We should not indulge him any longer

Just on here trying to talk basketball with some fellow basketball watchers across the state. Unfortunately, I find that it is an under-covered sport by local sports media but this gives us a forum to talk about what we see. I’ve followed BHS Bball for the past two decades and trust me, if legendary Coach Mark Blevins could handle my criticism right to his handle bar stache, I think the young staff at BHS right now will be fine.

40 minutes ago, JournalEntry said:

No that was not my intention. Jahvin was the best player on the court hands down. You can tell why he’s committed to PSU. My criticism has more to the defensive philosophy last night trying to contain him. Looked like we couldn’t get it figured out in man or in zone and he ate us up. Just hope we can be more creative down the stretch to play more stingy defense.

what do you think in your opinion is wrong with what you see from Bearden? and how does that different from CMB? Is it the X’s and O’s? Is it the culture? until this Friday I haven’t been able to see a CJP squad  in person. what needs to be fixed?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, OneEyedKing said:

what do you think in your opinion is wrong with what you see from Bearden? and how does that different from CMB? Is it the X’s and O’s? Is it the culture? until this Friday I haven’t been able to see a CJP squad  in person. what needs to be fixed?

I wouldn’t say anything is really “wrong” with them. I’d like to see them be a little more consistent when the talent is equal to theirs. We just don’t see a lot of teams that are similar. I think what set CMB apart was his willingness to schedule tough opponents like Oak Hill while Jeremy is more focused on the local spectrum of teams. I think Xs and Os are irrelevant when you have the Jimmys and Joes like us. I think just about everyone would agree that CMB and JP are neither known for being schematic gurus. The focus when you’re in a talent rich environment at BHS has to be on the effort, attitude and toughness of your team. That’s what all great basketball teams are built on. That’s the main thing I’d like to see drilled into our guys. Just as the late, heralded Coach Bobby Knight was once quoted as saying, “Mental toughness is to physical as four is to one.” It has to be the cornerstone of your basketball program.

5 minutes ago, JournalEntry said:

I wouldn’t say anything is really “wrong” with them. I’d like to see them be a little more consistent when the talent is equal to theirs. We just don’t see a lot of teams that are similar. I think what set CMB apart was his willingness to schedule tough opponents like Oak Hill while Jeremy is more focused on the local spectrum of teams. I think Xs and Os are irrelevant when you have the Jimmys and Joes like us. I think just about everyone would agree that CMB and JP are neither known for being schematic gurus. The focus when you’re in a talent rich environment at BHS has to be on the effort, attitude and toughness of your team. That’s what all great basketball teams are built on. That’s the main thing I’d like to see drilled into our guys. Just as the late, heralded Coach Bobby Knight was once quoted as saying, “Mental toughness is to physical as four is to one.” It has to be the cornerstone of your basketball program.

Bearden Bulldogs play West Rebels on Friday. They will not get mercy ruled. It will not happen. I guarantee it. Watch and see. Do you want to bet me? I am Captain Guru and I approve this message.

On 11/20/2023 at 1:40 PM, JournalEntry said:

What do the Dawgs have coming back this year?

The varsity team will be good as always, but I recently started going to the Bearden junior varsity games, and the size difference is crazy, as is the speed they play at, which is full speed. It honestly looks like a varsity team is out there playing against a junior varsity team. And none of the players that play on the JV team are on the varsity roster, which is even more crazy, but I guess that’s how you make a powerhouse start with junior varsity and freshman and work them up to varsity. I’ve never seen anything like it in my life, and for the freshmen team, the difference is ridiculous, just the speed and size at which they play vs their opponents. I went to the Karns JV game, and the Bearden point guard was almost, if not bigger, than the Karns center. Now, I’m sure that’s nothing new for the Bearden fans or the basketball team, but I’ve been to numerous freshman and junior varsity games, and I’ve never seen a size difference and just the flat out display of power like the freshman and JV team diss out every game. Even when I was going there many, many years ago, there was kind of a size difference and a speed difference, which I guess thinking back now. The junior varsity team was undefeated for all four years while I was there, so I guess I kind of remember, but it was definitely nothing like what the teams are nowadays.

14 hours ago, Elias287 said:

The varsity team will be good as always, but I recently started going to the Bearden junior varsity games, and the size difference is crazy, as is the speed they play at, which is full speed. It honestly looks like a varsity team is out there playing against a junior varsity team. And none of the players that play on the JV team are on the varsity roster, which is even more crazy, but I guess that’s how you make a powerhouse start with junior varsity and freshman and work them up to varsity. I’ve never seen anything like it in my life, and for the freshmen team, the difference is ridiculous, just the speed and size at which they play vs their opponents. I went to the Karns JV game, and the Bearden point guard was almost, if not bigger, than the Karns center. Now, I’m sure that’s nothing new for the Bearden fans or the basketball team, but I’ve been to numerous freshman and junior varsity games, and I’ve never seen a size difference and just the flat out display of power like the freshman and JV team diss out every game. Even when I was going there many, many years ago, there was kind of a size difference and a speed difference, which I guess thinking back now. The junior varsity team was undefeated for all four years while I was there, so I guess I kind of remember, but it was definitely nothing like what the teams are nowadays.

bright future for the dogs then. is james bartlett still the principal there? he wasa lways a really nice man and seemed like a good leader.

16 hours ago, Elias287 said:

I appreciate your post and you bring up some great points. They’ve got some good basketball players over there, no question about that. How JP and JJ got them over there is a great question to consider. They work in tandem to get dynamic playmakers, for sure. Thanks for the input!

1 hour ago, JournalEntry said:

I appreciate your post and you bring up some great points. They’ve got some good basketball players over there, no question about that. How JP and JJ got them over there is a great question to consider. They work in tandem to get dynamic playmakers, for sure. Thanks for the input!

Most are from West Valley, and a few are from Bearden Middle, but mainly West Valley, they have been dominant in basketball for years.