Where does DCA go?

Playerscoach

As a former DCA student athlete and member of the program, and employee of another TN independent school, I am displeased with the news of the new hire to say the least. To hire a guy who was 7-23 in his 3 year tenure at East Robertson is absolutely wild.  People are going to rebuttal with "he's done a great job with Blackman football" etc. If the measuring stick for DCA football is now a proven Middle School football coach who won a couple of Rutherford County championships, I'll be da****.  

The drop off from Paul Wade to Jay Pierce is enormous. You are talking about a TSSAA HOF coach to a guy who got a job because he attended the school and has a bit on institutional knowledge. My question is what did Goodwin and others see to make him seem qualified? Because on paper he sure as heck is not. Is it from his time at the school 2 decades ago? Is it from having a brother on Wade's staff who likes to make tiktoks? I don't doubt Jay know's ball. But, I do seriously doubt he was a better option than guys like Roc, etc. that were wanting this job. 

I suppose it remains to be seen, I hope I'm wrong and I have to apologize in a couple years via this threat. But if I'm not, maybe Coach Pierce is a good fit to steer the middle school program in the right direction.

15 minutes ago, stephenhargisunderstudy said:

As a former DCA student athlete and member of the program, and employee of another TN independent school, I am displeased with the news of the new hire to say the least. To hire a guy who was 7-23 in his 3 year tenure at East Robertson is absolutely wild.  People are going to rebuttal with "he's done a great job with Blackman football" etc. If the measuring stick for DCA football is now a proven Middle School football coach who won a couple of Rutherford County championships, I'll be da****.  

The drop off from Paul Wade to Jay Pierce is enormous. You are talking about a TSSAA HOF coach to a guy who got a job because he attended the school and has a bit on institutional knowledge. My question is what did Goodwin and others see to make him seem qualified? Because on paper he sure as heck is not. Is it from his time at the school 2 decades ago? Is it from having a brother on Wade's staff who likes to make tiktoks? I don't doubt Jay know's ball. But, I do seriously doubt he was a better option than guys like Roc, etc. that were wanting this job. 

I suppose it remains to be seen, I hope I'm wrong and I have to apologize in a couple years via this threat. But if I'm not, maybe Coach Pierce is a good fit to steer the middle school program in the right direction.

Roc Batten would be a terrible fit for DCA.  And DCA would be a terrible fit for Roc Batten.   

Jay could be the next Dennis Goodwin.  That turned out fine.   I'd call @Sackmaster50 to be the next Paul Wade.  

Edited by QuickStrike

Former Head Coach Paul Wade added that, “Coming back to DCA in 2018 as the head coach was like coming back home. Therefore, I know that feeling that Coach Pierce has, and I couldn’t be happier for him and his family. During my tenure, I was fortunate to have seven former players serve within the program. Now, to have the opportunity to watch one take the reins as head coach is not only exciting but says a lot about this community. Jay will be excellent because he is a product of this program and understands the mission statement of the school. He is a football guy and is a relationship builder. I expect him to continue on with the tradition of success that has been DCA football.” 

3 minutes ago, VUDores2024 said:

Former Head Coach Paul Wade added that, “Coming back to DCA in 2018 as the head coach was like coming back home. Therefore, I know that feeling that Coach Pierce has, and I couldn’t be happier for him and his family. During my tenure, I was fortunate to have seven former players serve within the program. Now, to have the opportunity to watch one take the reins as head coach is not only exciting but says a lot about this community. Jay will be excellent because he is a product of this program and understands the mission statement of the school. He is a football guy and is a relationship builder. I expect him to continue on with the tradition of success that has been DCA football.” 

I get how PR works in the private school world. I am not putting word in PW’s mouth, but he realistically would have said he expects continued success regardless of the hire. 

22 minutes ago, VUDores2024 said:

Coach Paul Wade is slick and knows how to play the game and he probably thinks a lot of JP and is genuinely happy for him and his family. But, I am going out on a limb and saying even he is questioning this move on the football end.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ocac said:

Coach Paul Wade is slick and knows how to play the game and he probably thinks a lot of JP and is genuinely happy for him and his family. But, I am going out on a limb and saying even he is questioning this move on the football end.  

You’d be wrong by thinking that. Just letting you know.

I am somewhat familiar with this situation.  I need someone to Help me understand this however.  Everyone needs to understand that this hire is following what Dennis Goodwin and Paul Wade & staffs were able to accomplish.  This is the most qualified of all the applicants?  Nothing personal against the hire, but he had an unsuccessful 3 year run at a school loaded with players at the public school A level.  DCA even got to see him up close in 2013-2014.  They should have learned a valuable lesson those 2 Friday nights.  Has been a middle school coach for the last 10 years, not that that is the worst thing ever.  But there is a huge difference.  To the best of my knowledge, this hire has never coached in a TSSAA High School Playoff game.  Someone can correct me if I am wrong.  I have to believe there were applicants who wanted the job that are more qualified as coaches, not as human beings, even in the DCA building.  

3 hours ago, stephenhargisunderstudy said:

To be honest with you nobody gives a #### what you think. You went out of your way to be mean spirited in your comments which makes you an enormous dbag. Maybe you’ll post your name so we can see all see it? You could have just left it with you disagreed but you went too far. 

I’ve had calls from alums all day that are happy Coach Pierce got the job since he took two coaching jobs early that nobody else wanted to try and help the programs. Nobody wins at either one of those unless they have a 4 star tailback show up.  Coach Wade has privately talked about how good of a coach CJP is and now publicly done it. Ironically, the final two in the selection process had either worked with Coach Wade or had been pursued by him for his staff. Take a guess who he endorsed? 

CJP knows the school, the community, and so does his family. He will do well there and from what I’ve heard already the kids are excited too. Since I’ve been there since the field was built I can tell you to sit this one out, turn in your alumni card, and don’t come around the program when they win another gold ball. Deal?